Thoughts on emulation?

Luseth

So personally I always prefer to play on original consoles and with original games where possible but I am a little more flexible than some people I think as I can appreciate that there are instances where emulation really comes into it's own, just a couple of scenarios where I have benefitted from it -

- I am due to go on a caravan holiday, start of July and I plan to take my GPD XD so that I can play some older games without having to lug the original hardware away with me!

- English translations, there are a couple of games I always wanted to play but never could because they never got released outside of Japan so there was never an English version. Since the original release however there have been fan made translations which have allowed me to enjoy the games. One of these for me being shining force 3 parts 2 and 3.

- The other thought that often comes across is cost, playing and collecting older games is certainly not an affordable hobby these days and it's only going to get more expensive with some games becoming rarer or more sought after. So I can appreciate there will be people who won't ever get the opportunity to appreciate some games without emulation which would seem a shame.

I think emulation is important for the preservation of such games rather than viewing it as a form of piracy window as some do. It's also such a pity that classic titles are bound to an horrendous amount of red tape or restrictions so people can't enjoy classic games in the future on newer systems like we were all expecting years ago and were told would happen. Most of the games I've emulated are ones I already own so my conscience is clear in that regard. There is also a lot of good PR on some of the emulators and even big YouTube channels like Digital Foundry cover these whilst playing emulated games so it's not quite such a sensitive topic as it once was especially with devices that can this concept portable with ease too. 

Lack of storage, cost of games, rare games that would cost an arm and a leg to purchase, size of CRT TVs and bad quality from newer TVs unless using expensive adapters. There's plenty of reasons why one would go down emulation route and I do this for the very reasons I listed.

I lack any kind of space to build a collection like I would like, nor do I have that kind of money.

While I do emulate, it lets me play games I would never otherwise have played or owned, you can choose between the better frame rates of USA versions (with slight reduction to picture).

Certain consoles I would tend to go physical though and I'm still interested in obtaining them, but these will be systems that use discs due to size to store them digitally and they will be consoles where a lot of games wasn't ported to newer systems. 

So things like GameCube, PS2, PSOne. 

If I build a collection now, it'll be a selective collection where I'll try something out through emulation before investing in the physical version. 

None of the money we spend on retro things goes to the companies that made these products anyway.

Do I wade in? 😅

Its probably well known here now that I just don't like emulation, but that doesn't mean it has to be anyone else opinion too. I think there's some solid reasons why you would do it, just like all of the above @Luseth  @J4MES OX4D  and @Spacedeck  have mentioned. I think the key difference is you've thought about what and why to do it before just dipping into emulators.

I have a thought of a separate article I might start writing up about that touches on exclusivity and potential things connected to this that may impact on the next crash. For me, playing older games isn't about the WOW factor you get when a game initially comes out so we all learn at the same time, as clearly its been out for years. So its the whole experience i'm looking for.

For example, @Findmartin  came round mine last night and its about selecting a game to play, looking at the game cases and seeing what jumps out at us that could be good fun. Then its about getting the unique controller and wires unwrapped, checking the memory card storage in case we get engrossed and want to save a game. Or if its cartridge its blowing the dust off it, opening the tray and doing the same there. Then game wise getting the original game colours, and sounds. I think more so you can see its about having the console and that experience in one moment. Nothing beats that nostalgia and feeling - and it lasts way longer when you can tangibly feel the game and console in front of you.

Where I start to adopt some 'emulator-ish' tendencies is through the last points I make about game colours and sounds. Harold tocuhes on it abit above where we haven't got CRT TVs just lying around (mainly because they have an arse built like optimus prime) so what i've bought a few years ago is a HDMI upscaler. In some ways i had to because my TV can take aerial but the ice and snow mario kart race on the SNES just wouldn't show correctly. With an Upscaler it looks pristine and just like what we used to play as kids. Still using the same unique SNES controllers.

Whilst I can joke from time to time, never feel ashamed to use emulators when it seems practical to use them due to how your life is. I'm lucky enough to own many of mine as I grew up so still have them. I wish people would not jump on the bandwagon of making money out of old games as it is pricing me out what I love to do, but i'll carry on where i can obtaining old games that aren't overpriced to enjoy them in my own home with as close as an experience it would've been if I had bought the game when it originally came out.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Also to add, while I don't have the room or funds to go physical, I do try to get as close to the real thing where I can.  So I have the 8BitDo N30 controller to play NES, GB, GBA, GBC, 8BitDo M30 for GameGear and MegaDrive, Raphnet adapter for use with a real N64 controller which supports rumble packs and memory packs, Mayflash adapter for a real GameCube controller and Bongo drums, PS3 controller for PSOne and PS2.

The authentic look is nice to have but I much prefer the button placements of the controllers to be near identical or very close to the original controllers, if they also happen to look the same then it's a huge bonus.

I think there are a lot of different reasons here for emulators and against them. A very healthy conversation.

I have only used an emulator many years ago to play mega drive games. It was a chance to play games I missed out on when I was young. Some I didn't realise existed and had to play. There were a few classics I wanted to enjoy again like Zombies Ate My Neighbours, Paperboy, Cool Spot, Surf Dog Alien, Animaniacs and Splatterhouse. 

Some of which I never owned and only played at a random friend's a couple of times. 

I think they are a somewhat good thing, as mentioned by others some would of never been enjoyed by people. Also the whole money/space/hardware thoughts from Spacedeck makes a lot of sense. 

I'll add basically what I mentioned in the other thread.  Some older games are just so freakin hard you need save points that emulators offer and original carts don't.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

On 6/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, crispymorgan said:

I'll add basically what I mentioned in the other thread.  Some older games are just so freakin hard you need save points that emulators offer and original carts don't.

Agree 100%.

The current route of emulation, such as the apps on the switch for NES/SNES, or even collections that publishers dish out like Konami has done with Castlevania, Contra or their classic arcade lines have added that little needed feature to make retro gaming a bit more appealing.  Saving mid-run or just in general adds so much to the experience.  Especially in this day and age when time is limited for some, and it allows you the option to pick-up, play for a few, save and carry on with your day.

Granted, save states are available for most emulators, but with something like the switch that has that portability aspect makes it a bit more appealing for most.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Yep, I can definitely agree and understand that view. In fact, I would say the Switch option with the available apps is the one that I would and definitely have a look at from time to time, due to the accessibility and portability of the handheld console. I still love playing Super Tennis on the actual SNES than that though, can't really explain why!! Just feels so good getting that cartridge out 🤣

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

On 6/26/2022 at 2:56 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Yep, I can definitely agree and understand that view. In fact, I would say the Switch option with the available apps is the one that I would and definitely have a look at from time to time, due to the accessibility and portability of the handheld console. I still love playing Super Tennis on the actual SNES than that though, can't really explain why!! Just feels so good getting that cartridge out 🤣

An element of it is just nostalgia as well, I have a much greater affinity with the games in my collection that I have had since I was little. I have Final Fantasy IX for example on a whole host of devices (I have probably bought it 5 or 6 times in addition to the original PS1 version) but I would happily sit there and connect up my PS1 and play through it on there over the other options every day of the week. Main reason my older consoles don't come out at the moment is because my daughter is a wrecking ball and would likely destroy them 😄