Gaming reveals & events

So the likes of gamescom and E3 are dying out in favour of companies producing their own videos. Microsoft & Bethesda yesterday, Playstation and Nintendo do their State of play type of reveals while even PC gamer do their own reveal.

Do any of you guy's watch them? I find them quite exciting seeing what's coming up (though there can often be some cringey moments in some of them) and I do dislike reveals being 3 or 4 years in advance just saying they are working on it without showing anything.

E3 has definitely taken a hit with the breakaway events particularly after Covid. Doesn't surprise me that companies want to do their own show - they are highly established to get media interest, don't have to share their show with anyone, can do as they wish plus they aren't under any time limitations. I still think these shows will exist for tradition but they will be sandwiched it between the standalone events which will become the showpiece for the media. 

I tend to only watch the highlights or the standout trailers for these though as I don't have much time or patience to be sitting through all these presentations especially if its for games or devs I am not interested in. 

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

Do any of you guy's watch them?

I try and always watch the Playstation State of Play, however they can be very hit and miss. I've watched a few and been absolutely blown away by the reveals or gameplay footage, then other times I can come away thinking it was a waste of 30-60 mimutes.

59 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

E3 has definitely taken a hit with the breakaway events particularly after Covid. Doesn't surprise me that companies want to do their own show - they are highly established to get media interest, don't have to share their show with anyone, can do as they wish plus they aren't under any time limitations. I still think these shows will exist for tradition but they will be sandwiched it between the standalone events which will become the showpiece for the media. 

I have to agree. I used to love watching E3 every year and getting the schedules for each of the showcases, and it could have a great atmosphere with the audience there reacting to what they saw, but like you say it makes more sense for each company to create their own content to showcase what is coming when they want to rather than scheduling it to once a year. I do miss thebold conversations that happened every year of "who won e3 this year" though lol

4 hours ago, Luseth said:

Do any of you guy's watch them? I find them quite exciting seeing what's coming up (though there can often be some cringey moments in some of them) and I do dislike reveals being 3 or 4 years in advance just saying they are working on it without showing anything.

Oh man, I used to watch and get excited way before E3 was coming out. We used to talk on here about what to expect and what people were excited about, etc. Clearly, 2 huge things have happened and probably why I don't keep the same level of hype or interest in them currently:

1. Covid - clearly made everyone rethink how they could do game releases. Now that people rely on social media more than ever, its allowed people to create their own game release shows at far less of a cost to go and show off at the old Expo events.
  2. The demand on current games. We want games far quicker than the usual 6-7 years to develop a AAA game, but unfortunately the only games that take less, are Indie, current games that are live and receive updates/patches, and game sequels/prequels from existing code so aren't true AAA games.

The general average gamer's needs have changed so now they don't wanna wait too long and are also happy to get smaller games as long as they are good value for money. Their attention spans just fade so quickly these days that even live service games struggle to cope because people gorge content like watching a TikTok and swipe off their game faster than you can say anything positive towards it.

On a more positive note, now Covid restrictions are being lifted gradually through the world, lets hope that we can have an E3 at some point again, as all things in life are cyclical anyway  🙂

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb