Season 17 - Season of FINALLY MORE VAULT SPACE!!!

Riff Machine

I'm not gonna lie, This snuck up on me big time.  I've been so out of the loop in so far as Destiny goes, that when I logged on this morning and found the new season starts next week was a surprise.  Despite all that, finally more fucking vault space!  

That only took forever.

What are your thoughts on the upcoming season?  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I think i'm ready for a new season. Its been nice to go and find other games over the past month that meant I only played Destiny once or twice a week and thats a better balance when it comes into month 3 of a season. I'm also liking we haven't got much info for the new season too so we all learn when it goes live tomorrow. The mystery in the game was at its peak before dataminers got the code via PC imo.

A new Dungeon is definitely coming and in the first week which is as much as we know so far. I'm hoping the Raids and Dungeons rotation will be good enough to hook people into both. I for one need to spend more time in Dungeons.

The vault space i'm actually not too concerned about as theres so many weapons to use yet in reality we all use between 20-40 guns when we get into our sweet spot, I want to get to a stage where i'm not keeping guns just incase they may become great in a later patch.

Destiny has many reasons for me stopping playing it, the blatant cash grabs, the incessant content recycling, the bullshit metas, the fact they killed PVP, etc. 

None of these are reason enough for me to quit, but when added together it just ruins the game for me. 

That being said, when the game lies to my face about not having enough console players abd forcing me to be cannon fodder to pc players, it's shooting itself in the head. 

It actually irritates me no end, there are two possible outcomes here: one is that there genuinely aren't enough console players, which is a problem that very coincidentally came in to existence a week or so after cross play was enabled, or they're forcing us to play with the PC crowd because it's another income stream for them. 

Destiny has always been one of those games which lives permanently on the line of how-far-can-we-push-before-they-fuck-us-off, but the crossplay thing was the nail in the coffin for me. 

Don't lie to your customers, they'd have a lot more respect if they just said "look, we want that sweet sweet dolla from the PC players but it's not really taking off that well because on PC, Destiny is a substandard game. So we're gonna add in 10 min waiting times when playing on console, these can be skipped by turning on cross play. Oh and the new DLC is £60 pls, and have you seen the latest stuff for sale for silver?". 

banlol.png

I think a lot of people left for similar reasons @Diddums I'd much rather be able to get all the story stuff out of the way instead of this drip feed method of these dumb ass seasons.  

This latest season has been a disappointment IMO.  Solar 3.0 sucks for 2/3 classes and i'm getting sick of power grinds.  The powerful/pinnacle shit needs to go.  

Honestly, I'm glad I started getting lost in Elden Ring.  I've been losing my enjoyment with Destiny for a while now thanks in part to the dumb changes, nerfs, power grind, and lack of respect for the players that contributed to get this game as popular as it is.

i am in the same boat as well, the game has grind for the sake of grinding and it's all repetitive, sadly i bought the deluxe edition which means i will play all the seasons i paid for but afterwards, i don't know, maybe i will just buy the expansions or just uninstall the game

i started ds1 waiting for the new season and that game is miles better than destiny

yes destiny has fast and fluid combat with nice combos etc but that alone can't carry the game

9 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

The powerful/pinnacle shit needs to go.

I would agree this and wanted it gone for a few years now. I think they are the closest to getting rid of it as now power only goes up 10 per season. I think the challenge is so many people's habits on this game (new and old) are pushed towards "I need to find the big number things!", so they just do the Pinnacle activities to get that stuff. An RPG that does damage numbers kind of needs the idea of a Power number to show how you can get a little more damage out of things and more reasons to chase loot, although I would much prefer the game move towards some form of weekly/monthly completion objectives that give you rewards of different loot to obtain that does funky cool stuff.

Its been a lighter start for this season in Week 1 for sure. The Dungeon is definitely the pinnacle of the entire season so that coming out on Friday really helped. Challenge now is that if thats out on Friday, what else will come each week? The Iron Banner having a Seal is definitely something to try and help flush out the content abit more and I will look to play it this week because of it. I expect to see more Quests and potential new activities coming out through the woodwork.

The Destiny cycle is one that in itself is cyclical. We're into Year 7 of Destiny and I think following up this latest DLC is a real hard job as you come off a fantastic campaign into smaller activities that can feel meaningless if you're not a person that sets objectives up to chase. I also think its not just Destiny. Many games are feeling the same way lately. I think we're in the middle of a bit of a dry spell that we're all looking for a game that helps us not think too much and tells us what to do. I think for this reason alone, I do wish Destiny had a toggle option to help the player tell them what to try/do next.

7 hours ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

the game has grind for the sake of grinding and it's all repetitive, 

This is one of its biggest fails for me, the grind for some basic stuff is incredibly dumb and with weapon crafting it's been turned upto the max. You grind for red border weapons with an insane low drop rate then you need fucking 5. One catalyst requires 50 min completions of mid tier difficulty stuff 😂

@Diddumsalso hit the nail on the head regarding crucible, I used to love spending hours just chilling in crucible now it's bounties and done simply because I've had enough by then of all the cheesy bulllshit, every update seems to make it worse too.

On 5/31/2022 at 6:21 PM, techno said:

This is one of its biggest fails for me, the grind for some basic stuff is incredibly dumb and with weapon crafting it's been turned upto the max. You grind for red border weapons with an insane low drop rate then you need fucking 5. One catalyst requires 50 min completions of mid tier difficulty stuff 😂

@Diddumsalso hit the nail on the head regarding crucible, I used to love spending hours just chilling in crucible now it's bounties and done simply because I've had enough by then of all the cheesy bulllshit, every update seems to make it worse too.

Yeah totally agree with the Crucible element. It was the one area that whilst we waited for more content or wanted to just chill on the game, it would always be in the Crucible. I don't have the same pull either. However, I'm lucky as I love Gambit which I think weirdly now has more legs than Crucible does. I really want to get into the Iron Banner seal but I think they missed a trick by making Rift and Control as two options rather than force you to play Rift. We have this week (Week 2) and apparently Week 8 to only play Iron Banner through the 12 week season. Part of me feels like we'll get a communication that Iron Banner will come back in Week 11 or something because it needs that extra week of updates to make it worthwhile imo.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:06 AM, Tar-Eruntalion said:

the game has grind for the sake of grinding and it's all repetitive

All games have a play loop. I think the challenge here is to see through the problem and acknowledge they are on the right path to removing the power grind as its at its lowest requirement to get Pinnacles. However, we're in that middle-no-mans-ground where we have some power grind as they aren't ready to replace it with whatever comes next.

@Horrible_Hector  made a good point the other night on the raid that 'Lightfall' makes it sound like this is the perfect time to remove a number from power if you wanted to as it makes it sound like they could remove something from us.

I will still hold the biggest thing they can do is rename the 500 blue, green and grey guns and we'll enjoy seeing so much more loot to use. And it won't feel like its recycled content as no one ever uses these guns anyway.

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Yeah totally agree with the Crucible element. It was the one area that whilst we waited for more content or wanted to just chill on the game, it would always be in the Crucible. I don't have the same pull either. However, I'm lucky as I love Gambit which I think weirdly now has more legs than Crucible does. I really want to get into the Iron Banner seal but I think they missed a trick by making Rift and Control as two options rather than force you to play Rift. We have this week (Week 2) and apparently Week 8 to only play Iron Banner through the 12 week season. Part of me feels like we'll get a communication that Iron Banner will come back in Week 11 or something because it needs that extra week of updates to make it worthwhile imo.

He's here bungie the one person that loves gambit, I'd be more than happy if they removed the random win bounty farm "gamemode" from the game and put resources into something more productive, possibly a new lighter shade of white tin of paint for the cupboards a bungie HQ got example. 

Oh and this will be the first season I ditch IB as fuck rift 

2 minutes ago, techno said:

He's here bungie the one person that loves gambit, I'd be more than happy if they removed the random win bounty farm "gamemode" from the game and put resources into something more productive, possibly a new lighter shade of white tin of paint for the cupboards a bungie HQ got example. 

Oh and this will be the first season I ditch IB as fuck rift 

I love gambit! #sambit

Ultimately,  It always seems that when this game is in a good spot, Bungie decides to fuck it all up by making unnecessary changes.   Now, if they're just gonna set power levels for certain things, why have a power level at all?  Yo never truly feel powerful in D2.  It sure as hell isn't like D1 when you could go back to early areas and roll over stuff.

On 6/6/2022 at 2:36 PM, Riff Machine said:

You never truly feel powerful in D2.

Tell that to Solar Titans right now 😅 Literally indestructible. I'm getting to the point where I would really like a UI refresh of the entire map and activities. I've always loved how it looks, picking all the different places we can go....however, there should be a way to list the Pinnacles and Activities in a better listed format - mainly because its hard to even remember that we have even more choice than we realise. This is something that would help when explaining to people about coming back and/or trying it out for the first time.

The story though continues to excel - this alone shows that if they could find a way of bring back all the missions across each campaign, people would play them. I don't think there was much wrong with story missions with varying difficulty levels. Thats what the last Campaign for Witch Queen proved too.

8 hours ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

meanwhile i think that the hunter solar rework feels kinda underwhelming, especially the fragments, i can't find any good synergy/combo while with void you have good choices

This guy does a lot of builds buildsorn

Or you could switch and play a decent character 😁

thanks man, i will watch it, you know i kinda regret choosing hunter as my class, i thought they would be cool and kinda op like in other games, but apparently not😐

still, i can't be arsed to redo everything for a new class, i feel an overabundance of laziness at the prospect of doing everything again from the start😅