Gotham Knights

So since there doesn't seem to be a new Batman game coming anytime soon i've been looking forward to Gotham Knights for a little while now, and from the look of the gameplay trailer it maintains the atmosphere and mechanics that I enjoyed so much in the Arkham games, and the fact that Red Hood, one of my favourite DC characters, is in the game helps massively lol. Although I am very surprised that they are only releasing it on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S and have scrapped the PS4/XB1 versions, especially since there is the multiplayer element. But i guess thats going to be the way now for a lot of the new games going forward. Anyone else looking forward to this?

I've been craving a new game like this as I'm a huge fan of the Arkham games - they just ooze atmosphere and capture the Batman style perfectly. This one I am a bit iffy about because the developer has a pretty limited track record and wasn't the one behind the original Batman titles. This team did work on Origins and also did a Wii port for Arkham City but aside from that it's been mostly DLC and assisting other developers. They may be biting off more than they can chew with this and the publisher also doesn't have a good grasp of the gaming industry either.

Will definitely keep my eye on it but anyone expecting something to the tune of Rocksteady's classics may be sorely disappointed. 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Will definitely keep my eye on it but anyone expecting something to the tune of Rocksteady's classics may be sorely disappointed. 

I have to agree it will definitely be a different experience to the previous Arkham games (and i'm sure i have heard rumour of a new entry into the Arkham line of games 🤔) but this will satiate my need for a good superhero game until then - I may need to replay Arkham City or Knight lol

It does actually look pretty good. I agree with James, those older batman games have such a murky and dark atmosphere. Totally perfect for Gotham and the style it's trying to portray. Time will tell if it's a good attempt or a forgotten failure. 

The video makes it look decent tho. 

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.  I do hope it's good, but have a feeling it may not be all it's cracked up to be.  Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

17 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

It does actually look pretty good. I agree with James, those older batman games have such a murky and dark atmosphere. Totally perfect for Gotham and the style it's trying to portray. Time will tell if it's a good attempt or a forgotten failure. 

The video makes it look decent tho. 

Yeah, the original Arkham games absolutely nail the Gotham style, hopefully this can get at least close to that.

17 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.  I do hope it's good, but have a feeling it may not be all it's cracked up to be.  Hopefully, I'm proven wrong.

I do feel a little bit cautious about it bit kn the whole looking forward to seeing the story that they portray in it and how they can develop the characters

On 5/11/2022 at 12:29 PM, Antpool84 said:

Although I am very surprised that they are only releasing it on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S and have scrapped the PS4/XB1 versions, especially since there is the multiplayer element. But i guess thats going to be the

way now for a lot of the new games going forward. Anyone else looking forward to this?

I think this will be the start of many as it happens to all consoles eventually. I even looked last night and its quite difficult to buy a new PS4 now anyway.

The game itself does look great. My son absolutely LOVED these previous games and I recall playing the first one years ago and enjoyed it too, especially the puzzles in it.

How many characters can you be in this one? Has it been confirmed anywhere?

1 minute ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think this will be the start of many as it happens to all consoles eventually. I even looked last night and its quite difficult to buy a new PS4 now anyway.

The game itself does look great. My son absolutely LOVED these previous games and I recall playing the first one years ago and enjoyed it too, especially the puzzles in it.

How many characters can you be in this one? Has it been confirmed anywhere?

Yeah, the puzzles were always fun in all the previous games, although did get frustrating at times 😂😂

Yeah, you can play as Red Hood, Nightwing, Batgirl or Robin, and im sure there is a co-op option so you can have up to 4 players at once

It's my first time finding out that the people behind this game aren't the same ones as the Arkham series of games — I think I now know why you guys are apprehensive. I am now too hehe. But yeah, I'm optimistic too. Arkham Knight was pretty awesome but I hated that you needed to complete the game on hard to see the actual ending. Requiring the player to play the game again for the full story is bad enough for me, but having them play hard mode to see what an ending that's supposedly already served upfront is, I think, bad design. Don't get me wrong, if you enjoyed it, that's awesome — no issues with that of course!

Just that after that it felt like there's a big gaping hole for good DC games they need to fill up so they bring back the goodness of Arkham Asylum and City. Like all of you guys, I'm hoping it's this one. I have already pre-ordered it so there's no backing out. 🤣

Pre-order currently £47 on Amazon as opposed to £65 on PS Store

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Buy Gotham Knights (PS5) from Amazon.co.uk. Everyday low prices on a huge range of consoles, games and accessories.

Good deal but there is no way I am taking the plunge unless I see some reviews. 

Very bad news and pretty unacceptable really

gothamknightsbatmanfamilybehindthescenes
WWW.IGN.COM

When Gotham Knights arrives on consoles on October 21, it will do so with no performance mode and it will run at...

Game hasn’t wowed much in the press builds either but this news could be the icing on the cake for the game to flop spectacularly. 

This is an instant no buy now for me.

Saw SkillUp mention this on Twitter. Sounds really disappointing, more so because its just before the live launch. Sometimes games will struggle due to the base framework on how its been built but you must tell people way further ahead than a week away from launch. I would expect sales to be down on this somewhat now as you can already feel the 30 to 60 fps difference on some games we play today.

More info can be found in this video - seems they were determined to cover this up right until launch but a private Discord post leaked

System requirements look insanely high for 1080p on PC so I'm expecting a bad port and it defies belief there is forced ray tracing on console but no graphical options. The Arkham games were amazing at 60fps+ with incredibly fluid combat but in Gotham it looks very janky. Visually Arkham Knight is still way better looking and far more immersive. People didn't buy into next gen for this. 

49% from PC Gamer 

VgXUvYRHVCpJKAH49XLvXF-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

A misguided action game that can't let go of the past.

5/10 from IGN

gothamknights-review-blogroll-1666226314
WWW.IGN.COM

Poor combat and grueling progression drag this co-op Batman adventure down.

4/10 from Gamespot

4050625-gotham-knights-1652189222476.jpe
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Gotham Knights takes the Arkham blueprint and reimagines it as a loot-brawler, often feeling similar, but where it's different, it's worse.

I had a feeling this one was gonna flop.  The locked framerate was a surprise, but just everything else about it kept giving me the "DO NOT BUY" vibes.  Shame.

HAHAHA!!  Yea, same.  This will be a freebie at some point.  

I have a friend playing this at the moment, his thoughts on the game are that the characters are a bit rubbish in that he only uses one of them and that it's not Batman. He say's the game plays well enough but it's just not what he was expecting.

So I imagine when the price drops to £15-20 it might be worth a punt.