EA Sports FC

J4MES OX4D

FIFA 23 will be EA's last branded game because they want to retain the greed all for themselves an instead we have EA Sports FC and this very well could become a F2P ongoing live service. After Konami's spectacular total fuck up I'm not too keen on that model however it wont be anywhere near as ass as what they churned out. 

FSaJgbiWYAE5gR2?format=jpg&name=900x900

Wonder if there will be any takers for the FIFA brand now...

It'll be interesting to see who tries to get that license.  I remember for the longest time, a lot of folks though PES was the better than FIFA on so many levels.  I wonder if a 2K developer will try for it?

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

12 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

Isn't the whole licencing for teams / players one of the biggest selling points for EA? Not sure where it'll go if they don't' have that.

They've already signed up 30 leagues, 700 teams, 100 stadiums and 20,000 players so they can still have the entire game licensed but just not with the FIFA branding which is proving to be rather non-viable after this. FIFA wanted $1bn every 4 years which would've given all the teams automatically and World Cup content. Although it's hard to say how much licensing everything individually costs along with the extra paperwork essentially, EA can also acquire new partners and sponsorship's which would've been restricted when under the FIFA branding. More importantly, they can probably now add even more shady monetisation in the game without risking the wrath of the governing body. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the game is basically the same aside from a name change. 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

They've already signed up 30 leagues, 700 teams, 100 stadiums and 20,000 players so they can still have the entire game licensed but just not with the FIFA branding which is proving to be rather non-viable after this. FIFA wanted $1bn every 4 years which would've given all the teams automatically and World Cup content. Although it's hard to say how much licensing everything individually costs along with the extra paperwork essentially, EA can also acquire new partners and sponsorship's which would've been restricted when under the FIFA branding. More importantly, they can probably now add even more shady monetisation in the game without risking the wrath of the governing body. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the game is basically the same aside from a name change. 

I agree, I assume the game will be exactly the same.

I'm not a massive fan of the new name but as long as I can still play MNF Pro Clubs with FG then I'm happy.

33 minutes ago, J-Lurch said:

I agree, I assume the game will be exactly the same.

I'm not a massive fan of the new name but as long as I can still play MNF Pro Clubs with FG then I'm happy.

The only question that remains is what the business model will be - sounds like they are aiming for more of a live service. Early rumours suggested a F2P-type structure but after the hell that was eFootball, they may have second thoughts. I certainly think EA will do better than Konami if they did go down this road but I'd rather just keep things simple with annual releases. 

I feel like we've met the full circle moment where everything will (hopefully) start from scratch again, especially if you see all the deals being done by clubs and sponsorship deals with the new and upcoming football games. We used to have so many football games back in the day, I think its a huge potential for any game producer to grab right now.

We clearly feel that EA Sports FC will be just FIFA 22 rebadged, which I don't care if they do unless they try and ask us to blow large amounts on it.

They need to tap into the gamemodes that people really REALLY love out there but clearly they don't see it can't be a goldmine, which I believe it could be and then we all win too because we get updates to them.

And imo, those gamemodes that tons of people have loved for years are Pro Clubs from FIFA and Master League from PES. How good would it be to be able earn your way to create your own Pro Clubs badge or play a full Online Master League with other people. Confuses me so much that this is right in front of their faces and they can't still see it.

So I am only going to talk briefly about clubs but talking to Lee yesterday he asked if I could run through things for the new game so just a bit of a summary of things I have noticed on the new clubs -

- So the Volta store is still somewhat linked to clubs but has a little more content this time around, I wouldn't be surprised if they reuse assets from the previous game down the road and add a few more but as far as customisation goes there are a few more options in some of the categories such as  facial hair options, new masks and you can wear glasses.

- So building out your pro's attributes and skills, they have brought in playstyles, these are in addition to the archetype so might enhance your speed further, might improve your finesse shot or things like that. So you get silver playstyles and then golden onces which enhance those stats even further i.e. you can have rapid which improves sprint speed and dribbling and then rapid+ which improves it even more.

- Levelling seem's to be taking a while, I am at an 81 rating at the moment despite being level 27 ^_^

- So the leagues have changed and I am still getting my head around it a little, so you play seasons like we traditionally would and when you win a set number of matches you then move up a league, it starts in division 5. How things differ on this game, you don't get a trophy for moving up a league. What happens is at a certain date, so the next one is 3rd November you then get put into play off's, this sort of takes the place of cups I think. This is where you get put in a mini league with 9 other teams from the same division as you. You then can play up to 10 games for that play off session in the week and you have to try and get maximum points and score higher than the other teams in your league.

So based on how well you do in the play offs provides your club with a number of rewards, these can include volta coins for you to spend on pro customisation (which would suggest more things to come to the Volta store down the road?), a trophy if you achieve mid table or higher (bronze, silver, gold) and then "fans". The quantity of fans you club has affects your club customisation which I will go into next. So there are 10 levels of customisation and they unlock based on the quantity of fans you have.

- Customisation of the club requires you to level up to unlock customisations and then you can apply tifo's, stadium bundles (themes), pitch trophy and selecting your home stadium. I imagine more stadium bundles might come down the road as that seems a little underwhelming at this point.

Hmmm, thanks @Luseth. I actually think it sounds like this playoff thing is a way to create maybe a casual gameplay alongside a competitive window where your team can sweat to try and win all 10 games? Hopefully its not full on and hopefully they will add some different ideas to the table after a while. Although its FC24 so that tells me we probably won't see too much change in one game given the past history of support for Pro Clubs.

Still boggles me given its such a huge gamemode.