Square Enix sells Tomb Raider Ip and development studios

I came across this today.  Shame sony didn't try to acquire these studios or the IP seeing as it was such a big reason for the PSOnes success.

tomb_raider.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Square Enix says it will use the $300 million from the transaction to move forward with investments in blockchain technology, AI, cloud gaming, and more.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

On 5/2/2022 at 10:41 PM, Riff Machine said:

I came across this today.  Shame sony didn't try to acquire these studios or the IP seeing as it was such a big reason for the PSOnes success.

tomb_raider.jpg
WWW.GAMEINFORMER.COM

Square Enix says it will use the $300 million from the transaction to move forward with investments in blockchain technology, AI, cloud gaming, and more.

Yeah, clearly nostalgia didn't perk Sony's interest enough, which begs the question if there is something underlying in the franchises that Square Enix let go. I mean, we haven't seen a Deus Ex game in years so really its just recycling Tomb Raider old games now. At least there is a new one on the way but unsure what development had even started on that.

Randy Pitchford from Epic tweeted yesterday about it...I didn't think Embracer Group was Epic, but are they?

This is brilliant news because fuck Square Enix - they've lost their iconic brands just so they have some funds freed up so they can invest in NFT's and bloody blockchain bollocks. These games will be in better hands by default and hopefully we'll see a new Deus Ex and Thief title down the line. Square couldn't even wait until the new Unreal 5 Tomb Raider game was finished before cashing in which shows their knee-jerk desperation to get ahead of this bullshit game. Compared to EA, 2K and Ubisoft, Square have come off quite lightly in the last decade but I along with many others maintain they are just as bad, if not worse in most cases.

$300m seems quite light for such a vast catalogue too and what's even more glorious is that Squre's recent bunch of live services have been humiliating failures. Hopefully we'll now see these seemingly dead franchises revived by a company that actually cares about them rather than trying to milk microtransactions and flog JPEG's for millions. A huge missed opportunity for sleepy Sony though. 

boy imagine selling the tomb raider ip and the deus ex one after you butchered it to make the shitty avengers game to make nfts, and other blockchain/crypto shit

what other noteworthy gaming ips does square enix have now except final fantasy? i mean they might as well sell it as well and piss off the gaming world

HAHA!

marvels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-image-4.
GAMINGBOLT.COM

The two Marvel games lost Square Enix $200 million in a little under two years and were responsible for the sale of western studios to Embracer, according [...]

If anyone is interested in knowing how Square's latest live service is doing that hasn't even been out two months yet, read this

63VXDQYGVUefKPYsfCnWp3-1200-80.jpg
WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

The recent release has not gone down well with players

Absolute humiliation.

Their only remaining stock is Final Fantasy, a few fringe JRPG's and some ape jpeg NFTs. Looks like their last remaining dosh is going towards blockchain shite so I wouldn't expect them to release the second part of the FF7 Remake or anything else for that matter. 

I had some high hopes for avengers initially.  If they had managed to replicate the gameplay progression of say Destiny or Division 2 in a way that made the game feel much more appealing than it was, I figure it would've been more successful.  It clearly suffered from the vanilla syndrome of being overly repetitive and having zero endgame.

GoTG, while having some more positive reviews and feedback, was such a huge miss at having some kind of online co-op with the team itself rather than only being able to command the other characters.  

Oh well.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*