Modern Warfare 2(022)

J4MES OX4D

MW2 by name and MW3 by branding. Very much doubt it'll be able to live up to those classics and I'm really not sure on the name conflict with the iconic original. 

untitled-1_6jaL5ON.jpg

A reveal must be pretty imminent but my interest is fairly minimal. I don't have much confidence left in the franchise and Microsoft's near-acquisition of the company had no bearings on development or likely anything post-launch so this is still very much a COD title of recent. That being said, IW are probably the strongest part left of the series but they are still a shadow of their former selves and unless the cheating epidemic is addressed, it could be tarnished before it's even got started.    

While I should be excited about this, as mw2 was my favorite cod ever and I spent months of game time playing it, I can’t help but think it’s gonna be another game that I play for a few weeks and then never touch again. 

I hope it re captures the cod magic for me but I won’t keep my hopes up. I’m sure I’ll still get it unless it looks like a dumpster fire. 

I have zero interest in BR games so hopefully it has a good MP selection and some re hashes of my favorites from back then. 

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

I'd like to think this will be similar to the most recent Modern Warfare (2019) which I really enjoyed.

I'd like a more realistic looking game than these badly animated/textured games COD keep coming out with.

Will reality live up to expectations? Probably not. The hype will be there, but if there is no maps like High rise, Terminal or Favela then it will disappoint. 

I'm curious to the gun selection and perk balance as well. 

If the game looks and plays good then it will be a monster hit on all fronts. Really has the potential to revive the corpse of COD and bring some diehard fans back. 

*holds breath patiently*

If it's exactly like mw2019 I couldn't give less of a fuck however if they have dead silence as a perk or turn down the footsteps then that's a start but the cod will always live or die imo with the maps. I have zero faith in IW or the cod franchise these days, I have more hope for treyarch to take the franchise back to what made cod so good in the past. 

I'm actually excited about this one. Imo there wasn't a good CoD since Black Ops 2 up until the MW reboot. Then after, there hasn't been a good CoD since. 

I have a feeling ill love this one too as its using the same engine. 

Couldn't give 2 shades of a shit about the BR mode though unfortunately.

MW2 was the last CoD game I ever played.  It'll be interesting to see how this one fairs.  I'm sure it'll be a hit for the MP as usual.  I just wish they'd create some new IPs with some of these studios.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

On 4/29/2022 at 4:38 PM, Jason said:

While I should be excited about this, as mw2 was my favorite cod ever and I spent months of game time playing it, I can’t help but think it’s gonna be another game that I play for a few weeks and then never touch again. 

I hope it re captures the cod magic for me but I won’t keep my hopes up. I’m sure I’ll still get it unless it looks like a dumpster fire. 

I have zero interest in BR games so hopefully it has a good MP selection and some re hashes of my favorites from back then. 

I think there's reason to have some faith in it this time out. I can honestly see a small rise in quality given the recent sale of Activision. Not ground-breaking i'm sure but it should do the franchise a little goodness. The fact the logo looks like MW2019 follow up holds good signs as its definitely the best one out of the last 3/4 years. Still very well supported and Warzone definitely helps it for that reason. You should give Warzone a go with us, its honestly how you play it that helps you realise its more fun that it sounds. Too many people go into it in a sweaty mentality and think they should be winning or coming top 10 all the time but thats stupid. When you relax and play the game similar to MP mode, just on a larger scale, the game does feel more rewarding.

On 4/30/2022 at 4:06 PM, techno said:

If it's exactly like mw2019 I couldn't give less of a fuck however if they have dead silence as a perk or turn down the footsteps then that's a start but the cod will always live or die imo with the maps. I have zero faith in IW or the cod franchise these days, I have more hope for treyarch to take the franchise back to what made cod so good in the past. 

I tend to think MW2019 has a really good following here now Gaz, might be worth dropping on it on the weekend for a few MP games. Dead silence hasn't been a huge problem in it of late and I can see why its given out differently due to how many people want to sound whore all the time - it would just waste a perk slot imo.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:26 PM, Diddums said:

Yay, another CoD. 

I can barely contain my excitement. 

New Content™ everybody 😎

On 5/1/2022 at 5:18 PM, TheMuggySpud said:

I'm actually excited about this one. Imo there wasn't a good CoD since Black Ops 2 up until the MW reboot. Then after, there hasn't been a good CoD since. 

I have a feeling ill love this one too as its using the same engine. 

Couldn't give 2 shades of a shit about the BR mode though unfortunately.

I'm not as hyped as you are but definitely higher hopes than normal. And hopefully the other night on Warzone changed your opinion somewhat on the mode. Definitely has more legs in that mode than people think.

50 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm not as hyped as you are but definitely higher hopes than normal. And hopefully the other night on Warzone changed your opinion somewhat on the mode. Definitely has more legs in that mode than people think.

Playing with friends always makes it more funerer 100%. I think what turned me off Warzone was the fact that instead of updating and making it fresh, they instead lumped 3 games worth of material into the one and made the previous games guns absolutely worthless. It just doesn't seem fair if you get me. I never owned Cold War so my loadouts that were made from MW weapons were underpowered against guns that were decades older.

That said, I'll definitely play it again 😂😂

35 minutes ago, TheMuggySpud said:

Playing with friends always makes it more funerer 100%. I think what turned me off Warzone was the fact that instead of updating and making it fresh, they instead lumped 3 games worth of material into the one and made the previous games guns absolutely worthless. It just doesn't seem fair if you get me. I never owned Cold War so my loadouts that were made from MW weapons were underpowered against guns that were decades older.

That said, I'll definitely play it again 😂😂

I know the meta changes all the time and guns get buffed or nerfed. Never was much of a Warzone guy, but contrary to belief some of the MW weapons hold up or are on par with the Cold War and Vanguard ones. Except the new season DLC ones they are always OP to encourage people to buy the bundles. Then a few weeks or month later they nerf them to the ground rendering them useless. 

On 5/4/2022 at 2:52 PM, IRaMPaGe said:

I know the meta changes all the time and guns get buffed or nerfed.

Yeah, this Cal @TheMuggySpud . I think early days and new releases kind of obviuosly screwed it up for people that didn't have the new game but now we see how the better guns are scattered through the games, and more importantly through the open map drops you find, it works really well now. For me, I would've by now made modes where care packages weren't a thing so that element goes away too as its a pretty basic and easy tactic to just grab a loadout of whatever you feel comfortable with.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:55 AM, techno said:

@GazzaGarratt to drop in on it for a few games if have to buy it first 😁

Tbh dead silence/ footsteps is a bit of an issue for me personally wether it wastes a perk slot or not I just can't stand the sound while moving about. 

For £15 pre-owned, I think its worth it. We played some Multiplayer for a good few hours on Thursday night and there was a number of games that were well balanced. We had 2-3 which we got ransacked and completely whooped but that shit will always happen, especially as we don't all know the maps as well as other groups. We also had a great rotation of maps too.

Dead Silence wise I think after playing this one the most out of previous ones, I really don't think it adds value - i think in reality it frustrates everyone getting killed by BillyNoM8sButIvePlayedCodAllMySkoolBoyLyfe will pick it everytime and kill you instantly before you know where he is, causing you to pull a Tom and CBA/Rage quit. You really don't miss it in the games we've played.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:49 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Dead Silence wise I think after playing this one the most out of previous ones, I really don't think it adds value - i think in reality it frustrates everyone getting killed by BillyNoM8sButIvePlayedCodAllMySkoolBoyLyfe will pick it everytime and kill you instantly before you know where he is, 

Hard disagree. Having somebody sound whore you from 100 metres because you sound like an elephant just isn't a fun experience. The lack of Dead Silence/Ninja is what I hated most about MW2019.

fart.gif

On 5/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, MrBiron said:

Hard disagree. Having somebody sound whore you from 100 metres because you sound like an elephant just isn't a fun experience. The lack of Dead Silence/Ninja is what I hated most about MW2019.

Totally get you won't be on your own for this one and I won't derail this thread for this...does make me think of a separate thread about unpopular opinions 😄

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Totally get you won't be on your own for this one and I won't derail this thread for this...does make me think of a separate thread about unpopular opinions 😄

Perhaps a better Skill-based match making system could help? I've never though COD has been great in that department.

13 minutes ago, techno said:

How about simply having connection based matchmaking and then a ranked playlist?

Quoted for the truth.

SBMM has it's place but it shouldn't be the defacto matchmaking.  SBMM was introduced as a way to increase enjoyment and stop noobs getting stomped but all it seems to have done is make sweatier lobbies.  Sure in the (original) MW and MW2 days you'd get stomped occasionally but equally you would occasionally stomp too so it all evened out.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

1 hour ago, techno said:

How about simply having connection based matchmaking and then a ranked playlist?

I like the way Rocket League does it — they have a Casual match making playlist and a Competitive one. 

59 minutes ago, Greboth said:

SBMM has it's place but it shouldn't be the defacto matchmaking.  SBMM was introduced as a way to increase enjoyment and stop noobs getting stomped 

That's what they want people to think but it's actually a form of monetised matchmaking that manipulates gameplay and your connection to either get users spending more on microtransactions or increase player retention. SBMM did live up to the name a few years ago but now it's all about fake ping, phantom connection issues, inflated lag compensation and heavily curated lobbies that will always disperse once a match completes. Cold War showcased this the best for me - I'd have one epic game, a good game and then an absolute nightmare. I could go 40-5 hitting everything and then 7-28 not being able to land a shot and feeling like I was always behind the play. Just when I was ready to rage quit, I'd have a blinder and then continue playing only to get trapped in the cycle. Other players get roped into buying P2W guns and are deliberately matched into lobbies where users might be using them. There was patented concept sheets leaked a few years ago about this that people have forgotten about and it's already well in motion without most realising. Only way to really get round it is tank your K/D with a burner account and then join it with your main to reverse boost like every YouTuber but that's no fun. 

Connection-based matchmaking will never return with Crooktivision at the helm. Matchmaking and matches in general are rigged which is why the fun is sapped out of many of the games in recent years.  Activision even DMCA'd most of the videos that studied extracted datamined material of their matchmaking processes and from what I remember, skill is literally the last thing that matters now unless you are a gutter-ability player. 

I agree with a lot that's being said here. Especially @techno  for the game should always be about connection rather than ability.

Was great way back in MW2, BO1 and 2 when you built up a nemesis and trying to top the lobby when it didn't used to disband after each game. Felt like something else to play for like a side or mini game. 

James makes some excellent points about SBMM. Having played a lot of the recent Cods and experiencing affected gameplay. 

I remember on Cold War in particular doing really well and I swear this is not bullshit. Playing really well at the start of the game and then dying. 

That's not the part, after respawning after death I charged back for a revenge kill. And this particular incident happened 2-3 times on separate occasions. 

I remember launching a semtex and I swear as I threw it the aim gittered off at the last second and hit a wall and nearly got me killed. 

I wanted to blame it on stick drift or give the benefit of the doubt, but it happened in a few selective circumstances after I was decimating the other team and then suddenly I don't know how to use a semtex. 

I can launch a semmy on raid across the map and stick people successfully and consistently off the rip at the start. I'm well aware of aim and distance, but just these incidents were extremely fishy. 

Other times I've noticed aim or bullets going off for no reason at all, or losing a crucial gunfight I thought I was going to win 100%

Definitely a lot of manipulation going on to stop you having "Too good a time". 

I think I noticed it in Cold War the most out of the last 3 titles. 

I don't mind getting whooped if I deserve it, but please don't punish me for doing well... That's beyond ridiculous behaviour!