COD Loses 50,000,000 Players

J4MES OX4D

Although I think lockdown ending is a factor, it's clear that people are getting fed up of Warzone and COD in general. The lack of quality and innovation plus their failure to deal with the catastrophic cheating that plagues all systems. There's also only so many times you can beat your head against a brick wall playing on the same Warzone map over and over and their neglect with traditional COD has also alienated that side of the franchise. Losing 1/3 of your playerbase is horrendous and now all eyes will be on Modern Warfare 2(022) which not only has to bring people back, it has to have a consistent run all the way to 2024 with no new game coming next year. Even with a solid number of players left, there's probably still tens of millions of cheaters out of those. 

tbGr7ETaoMvm3Rt98xz33C-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It was a bad year for Warzone.

Yeah I think the numbers stayed up over the last couple of years due to lock downs etc. 

I'm not surprised people stopped playing Warzone in particular because of cheaters and a few stale maps to choose from. 

The Tradional 6v6 MP has been neglected since and including MW19. 

Offering 2v2/3v3 10v10 Ground War etc. 

Party style fun game modes. They just split the content and players apart further and further over time. 

Bugs, glitches and lag and many things included to contribute to this decline of interest. 

People are just done with the franchise. 

MW22 has to be unbelievable to keep those numbers up or they have had it. 

The integrations between 3 games in WZ also break things and ruin the experience for some. 

Weirdly, Warzone isn't the worst thing they've made. MW2019 really did have something going for it but they chose to keep the yearly churning uncreative release going and I think the industry has started to grow tired of that type of release in general, not just CoD. People are now wanting to try something new or conversely staying with games that have had very longevity with constant support and updates. I think its why Indie games are doing so well too - people are finally seeing through the AAA yearly release of the same game for 70 quid....maybe.

I do think Microsoft will revolutionise the franchise. Its what everyone knows it needs and it'll be interesting to see if it takes one of the last games of the past 5 years to use as its base to move forward instead of starting from scratch.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb