No Man's Sky

@GazzaGarratt and I were talking about NMS the other day and wanted to start a thread. I've completed the platinum trophy for this a few years ago. I was one of the few who stuck with them during the darker days. It's a brilliant and magnificent game and always has been in my opinion. There has been so much more added since I've played that it's worth another playthrough. Lots of neat building ideas, world's to explore. It's super chill and a great change of pace. Thoughts?

Their lies about it being multiplayer were excellent for me as I ended up with the game for £5, on PS and PC. It is a nice chill game but I've only played a few hours on each. I hear there is some limited multiplayer these days but not sure what that entails.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

You only really get one chance to impress me these days and their release all those years ago was absolutely disgraceful so I've had no interest in the game ever since. I am happy they have improved it drastically over the years though because of all the people that originally bought into it and were let down horrendously. They certainly had a legal and moral obligation to deliver what they promised because they made a ludicrous amount of money from what was pretty much lies. Although they did include some of what they originally pitched in years of updates and further development, it still doesn't take away the absolute horseshit they promoted and also doesn't come close the experience they originally envisaged. They've definitely structured the updates well though and haven't rushed content to appease which is good. 

There's also a bad smell with Sean Murray and Hello Games that I cannot shift - I don't know how they managed to delude so many people prior to release or how they got away with it through the media because it was like they were under a spell yet many of us could see that the game was going to be very limited and that 99% of things marketed didn't exist seemingly. It's now being regarded as a major success story but the circumstances behind it are very fortunate and generous. I don't think I'll play it but people getting it now on the cheap should have a reasonable experience. 

I'll give it a go for sure, Hello Games have been nothing short of phenomenal and Sean Murray is someone the rest of the gaming industry should aspire to. What that man did to prevent his staff from getting abuse is amazing. In fact I'd buy the game just to show them some love. 

There was a kid who I think was mentally challenged or something who really enjoyed one of their older mobile games and was unable to play it as Android updated and it no longer worked, so the team spent some of their time updating it just for him. Really warms the cockles that does. 

If you haven't seen this very good video on it, I highly recommend you watch it. It explains how a nerd was completely overwhelmed by the media attention and didn't know how to handle it, only to overturn the whole thing and become arguably one of gaming's greatest comeback stories ever.

Here's the story - absolutely amazing

skynews-joe-danger-hello-games_5654774.j
NEWS.SKY.COM

Hello Games founder Sean Murray said the letter "broke our hearts and made us want to set things right"...

banlol.png

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

You only really get one chance to impress me these days and their release all those years ago was absolutely disgraceful so I've had no interest in the game ever since. I am happy they have improved it drastically over the years though because of all the people that originally bought into it and we let down horrendously. They certainly had a legal and moral obligation to deliver what they promised because they made a ludicrous amount of money from what was pretty much lies. Although they did include some of what they originally pitched in years of updates and further development, it still doesn't take away the absolute horseshit they promoted and also doesn't come close the experience they originally envisaged. They've definitely structured the updates well though and haven't rushed content to appease which is good. 

There's also a bad smell with Sean Murray and Hello Games that I cannot shift - I don't know how they managed to delude so many people prior to release or how they got away with it through the media because it was like they were under a spell yet many of us could see that the game was going to be very limited and that 99% of things marketed didn't exist seemingly. It's now being regarded as a major success story but the circumstances behind it are very fortunate and generous. I don't think I'll play it but people getting it now on the cheap should have a reasonable experience. 

Watch the vid I just posted above, it'll change your mind, and you know I write devs off quicker than Taylor Swift does boyfriends. Trust me, watch it.

banlol.png

Love the game.

I would go out and buy a new PlayStation if I could (had to sell my old one last month) for that game alone.

But my son brings his with him from time to time when he visits. So could play if people where up for it on some weekends. 🙂

16 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

They certainly had a legal and moral obligation to deliver what they promised because they made a ludicrous amount of money from what was pretty much lies.

They had no such obligation. Speaking as someone who preordered the game, it was vastly more polished than many games out there now that took even more money. BF 2042, Cyberpunk, and let's not forget Star Citizen, those guys have raised over 420m and still have not delivered a game anywhere near the level of what NMS was at launch.

The major issue with with NMS was people's expectations and Sean's sharing of development ideas. But let's be honest, it's no where near the worst and they have more than made good on their promises. I'm with with @Diddums on this one. Gaming studios could learn a few things about customer satisfaction and making things right from Hello Games. 

Oh, and they fixed all of it for free. 

None of this detracts from the current state of the game. It's pretty impressive and bold. You can endlessly explore with no possible way to complete in you're lifetime. That's kinda cool.

7 minutes ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

i had tried it way back but i kinda found it boring, is the gameplay loop etc better now? are there more stuff to do?

It's really what you make it. I enjoyed playing with others years ago. It's really relaxing, nothing like the constant fomo of D2 or the like. The building alone is pretty fun. People have made some pretty awesome stuff. It does start off slow for sure. 

2 minutes ago, TurboR56Mini said:

It's really what you make it. I enjoyed playing with others years ago. It's really relaxing, nothing like the constant fomo of D2 or the like. The building alone is pretty fun. People have made some pretty awesome stuff. It does start off slow for sure. 

Sounds like my sort of game...out of interest, what kills you and “boredom “ is not an acceptable answer 😂

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Yeah, when I was looking at games i've had for a while now and never played them, this stood out. Especially at a time where I've been trying to also find another FG community game where it can relaxing but many of us could dip in and out with each other. I saw a recent tweet that reminded me, and then that tweet reminded me that i see similar updates and patch updates whcih bring huge changes to the game, for free. Sure, I know my issue will be with this ensuring I can find objectives to do and potentially some that we can all do together but i'm willing to give it a go.

I checked up on Multiplayer and it stated you could effectively have a 5 player party. If you do missions together, then you need to start and finish them before you log off, very much like Sea of Thieves. I want to see how the PS5 version goes for sure.

Anyone know if you can build something that could be accessed as a 'community' thing? e.g. you don't need the first person online to see it all the time?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Star Citizen is in alpha, please don't be comparing it to games that have officially launched as a finished product. 

They, or he, did massively overplay what would be in NMS, and I don't buy the sob story. The guy lied, end of story.

I saw at the time there was no way they were going to deliver what they were promising and I didn't buy into the hype, so I've never been bothered and was happy to take a £5 punt afterwards on it coming good.

That being said, I have the game installed on PS5 and PC so happy to jump on if people play🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, TurboR56Mini said:

They had no such obligation. Speaking as someone who preordered the game, it was vastly more polished than many games out there now that took even more money. BF 2042, Cyberpunk, and let's not forget Star Citizen, those guys have raised over 420m and still have not delivered a game anywhere near the level of what NMS was at launch.

They certainly did have obligations which would have been realised if they left the game as it was. Out of policy refunds were rife soon after launch and it was only when they made a tactical PR move about future updates after being in hiding, did that plug it. Sony then totally distanced themselves from the studio and game after that - they were largely to blame for the charade too.

It definitely wasn't polished on release either - I remember the severe optimisation issues and very limited gameplay loop. Battlefield and Cyberpunk is like comparing cow shit with horse shit - the big difference with those games was they covered themselves legally in very crafty terms whereas No Mans Sky bullshitted people until the 11th hour and then in hiding managed to introduce terms to stem future out of policy refund attempts. That was also a slick move through SteamWorks and Sony. 

1 hour ago, TurboR56Mini said:

The major issue with with NMS was people's expectations and Sean's sharing of development ideas.

People believed those to be features, not development ideas and even when the first update was announced, they even admitted they had no idea what it would entail which demonstrated they had no forwarding strategy outside their skeleton creation. They did come good on a few features plus some other original ones but that didn't stop people being mislead for years and just because something is included down the line doesn't exonerate them from their actions prior. 

If I am given a job to renovate a house, paid £100,000 and I only do one room in 3 years, I wouldn't expect a fanfare and bus parade celebration when I complete the job 4 years after that to the specifications I originally stated. NMS has banked some serious money so what they have produced is the least expected really and the end product now is just like any other game - it's just been developed and publicised in a very favorable way due to the circumstances it created. 

It's a good success story for British developers and Sean and the rest of the studio have learned some damning lessons along the way but at the same time they've been very lucky not just in terms of money but the positive exposure they've relentlessly been given even when they were in hiding. The game is also seen as a staple for AAA titles releasing the ship now patch later state along with anti-consumer contractual terms being embedded into TOS. Far more deserving, honest and credible indie titles in existence that go under the radar because of shit-shows like this saga.

I'm done with the whole "alpha" conversation too, that's just a term to shield devs when they take your money over promise and under deliver. How long as 7days or Star Citizen been in "alpha"? A decade each? I'm sorry but thats bullshit and it's no different than pushing a title to "release" when it's not done. It's simply a better PR strategy. As in, if Hello Games said it was "alpha" then it would be ok? They are doing the same thing, furthermore, they delivered more in 5 years than others have in 10. Let's not forget that Sony had a massive part in over selling this game at launch too.

At the end of the day, continuing to bash a company when they made good on their promises and course corrected is kinda bullshit. People make mistakes, what matters is how you handle yourself after. That's much harder, so I could give a shit about terms that cover over studio's, they took ppls money and are dropping the project. That shows more about their character than anything. I don't expect everyone to play or even agree with me and that's ok. I still plan on enjoying all these games even if I can't stand the flying in SC it's still fun to play with others. 

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Sounds like my sort of game...out of interest, what kills you and “boredom “ is not an acceptable answer 😂

The environments can like too cold, too hot, acidic etc. The animals leave you alone for the most part. So you can just chill and build. Some are aggressive though but that's depending on type of planet. Running out of O2 is always a problem!

29 minutes ago, TurboR56Mini said:

As in, if Hello Games said it was "alpha" then it would be ok? 

Of course.

People can make their minds up if they want to buy into an unfinished game if it its in Alpha or Beta. It's pretty straightforward. 

I'm not going to bat for Star Citizen but I suggest you do some more research on that game before using it to defend the shitty launch of NMS 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

40 minutes ago, TurboR56Mini said:

I'm done with the whole "alpha" conversation too, that's just a term to shield devs when they take your money over promise and under deliver.

But that's exactly what Hello Games did. Just because they used their substantial gains to then develop the game they originally promised to a degree doesn't let them off the hook. It took them to go into hiding and then a huge public backlash just to get them working on the game again. If they released the game in early access with a structured roadmap of features then it would have been absolutely ideal but instead they plied the media and community with a wealth of claims, gained huge exposure and then delivered the most empty and generic game on release. The fact by their own admission they had no idea how to proceed before the first update just shows the original release was their intended final product. Without the money garnered from that, they wouldn't have been able to keep the studio running as a going concern so they were very lucky in that respect. 

They have no doubt done very well in turning the game around but I don't see it as a monumental achievement the same way I don't throw a carnival because Bohemia Interactive finally released DayZ Standalone after 5 years of 'development'.

13 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

They have no doubt done very well in turning the game around but I don't see it as a monumental achievement the same way I don't throw a carnival because Bohemia Interactive finally released DayZ Standalone after 5 years of 'development'.

Still no bicycles in vanilla DayZ😪😅

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Had a brief moment to start it up and its prettyt decent start so far. Reasonably easy objective based that help you learn some stuff. Controls are something to get used to but most of the stuff i've done on the first 2 planets is reasonably easy and should stick in my brain for now 😅

One thing I need to learn is how to get the spacecraft into third person. Apparently you hit down on the d-pad and then go to utilities to switch the view.

Other than that, I can see it being one of those you need to resource up to cover off long trips out in the Unstable wild!

Can you share materials at all?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I played this quite a bit when I got my VR.  It’s great what they made the game in to though it does get lonely doing it all single player.  It would be cool to get together to try multiplayer at some point.

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Can you share materials at all?

In multiplayer, I believe so.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Played like 5 hours last night, the new outlaw update is pretty neat. I've stated fresh and the game sucked me right back in. Tons more to do and multiplayer was super fun, seamless and a pleasure. Played with an old friend and it was like we never left. Tons more to explore!

Nice! I hoped on for 5 minutes the other day just to check everything was up to date and I could remember the controls etc. and then spent 30 mins just flying around in space blasting asteroids 😄

We'll have to arrange a day sometime to see if we get a group of us on.  I don't think everyone is on PC so think the limit is 8 people for consoles but should still be good if we could get 8 of us.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Oh fuck I wouldn't mind reinstalling this for a meetup. I was an original launch player and got the platinum way back when so I'd love just exploring with people.

I'm stuck on PS4 though so not sure how many are in that boat

4 hours ago, TheMuggySpud said:

Oh fuck I wouldn't mind reinstalling this for a meetup. I was an original launch player and got the platinum way back when so I'd love just exploring with people.

A PS chat has been set up for it by @TurboR56Mini so we'll get you added to that. There's a fair few people playing it now so you'll have good company🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

6 hours ago, TheMuggySpud said:

Nice! I'm a launch player as well, got Platinum then left it alone for 3-4 years. It's been really fun playing again. Found an exotic bird already, got my free freighter, and now working on those new living ships. It's changed a lot since launch for sure. It's cross play so the version should not matter. We can add to you the PS chat, not sure if we are friends on there yet but I've added @GazzaGarratt to it so I'm assuming he can!