Videogame Magazines

Anyone remember these good old days? I used to have quite a collection of multi-platform magazines but ridded most a while back as I couldn't hoard them all my life! Crazy that our only source of info used to be paper and we had to wait a month at a time. Sadly the industry was much more reliable and honest back then! See if you recognise any of these - I've picked out a few mags/issues that I have or had back in the day.

Official Nintendo Magazine issue 63 1997 - my first one and it came with this awesome pack of cards.

s-l300.jpg

N64 Magazine - £2.95

n64magazine_itemimage.jpg

CVG - first multi-platform one I picked up and incredibly cheap at £1.50

rm07.jpg

GamesMaster - quite pricey at £2.75 but packed full of stuff

?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=2769

PC Gamer Issue 64 Christmas 1998 - jam packed with pages and information. PCG was remarkable back then 

?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=5265

Official Playstation Magazine issue 45 May 1999 - £4.99 but with a disc

s-l300.jpgs-l300.jpg

Play - unofficial Playstation mag. Good value at £2.85 and usually came with a book

PLAY-Magazine-Unofficial-PlayStation-49-

Official Dreamcast UK Magazine - August 2000 - pricey at £4.99 but always came with a demo disc.

I also had a couple of reader-submitted reviews published and those I have saved. Only 21 issues in total

?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=3277

DC-UK December 2000 - unofficial but a nice alternative at £2.99

tumblr_mnpaurN58J1rkrwaco1_1280.jpg

Official Playstation 2 Magazine issue 11 - September 2001 - Issue 1 also from December 2000 with a different design (the only one with the PS2 title)

?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=3625?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=2739

Official Xbox Magazine December 2002 with demo disc

xboxmagazine10.jpg

Official Xbox 360 Magazine issue 2 November 2005

?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=8263

Official Playstation Magazine November 2009

?module=images&section=img_ctrl&img=3302

This may be off interest http://www.outofprintarchive.com/.

The only magazine I've bought recently is Fusion. I've never read these before so got them as they look interesting and I hear good things about them.  I bought the one listed below (if anyone orders, RETRO10 code gets 10% off (Had an email today, EASTER gives 20% off this weekend))

FUSIONRETROBOOKS.COM

We are launching our FUSION, ZZAP! 64 and CRASH 2022 Annuals in WH Smith from the 12th February. The bookazines are exactly the same content as their corresponding annual, so 120 pages in length. The...

loved monthly VG mags!  I would go out almost every week and buy up whatever issue was out at the time.  EGM, PSM, Official Xbox, Official Dreamcast, Gameinformer.  I always enjoyed seeing different mags reviews on the same games just to have those differing opinions.  

I still pick up gameinformer evry so often, but it really isn’t the same anymore.  Most of these sites/mags show so much favouritism that actually shitting on a bad game is frowned upon.  Especially if the developer/publisher paid for a good review.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

19 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

The Gamesmaster was the one tho, it was just the ultimate.

This one was my go to. Always loved seeing what cheat codes they had in there for that month too 😄

In fact, I kept a few old Cheat books that came with mags for my early consoles as they are such cool things to have built into these early games.

52 minutes ago, Riff Machine said:

I still pick up gameinformer evry so often, but it really isn’t the same anymore.

Wish this was more of a thing over here. Never seen it but always wanted to as it does get some decent information exclusive to them from time to time.

Super thread @J4MES OX4D ! I may dig out what I can find and post it up here!

Ironically, I just picked up the latest issue of Game Informer and I hate how they've laid out the magazine now.  Lol

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Great topic!!! I still have a stack of these, I'm gonna get them out, take a pic, and show it to you guys on another post (sorry I can't at the moment since it's in a separate part of the house).

EGM was my absolute favorite from back in the day. I used to read strategies of games and pretend I was playing it by getting absorbed in the screenshots hehe.

Here it is guys, sorry my camera is terrible but I wrote a note for FG hehe 😄

I put Play magazines forward since they're from the UK, I thought it might be good to have some representation ❤️

SZ1r9sf.jpg

The one on the left is the OLDEST magazine I have here and it's for the NES haha. I can't believe they're all still alive.

5 hours ago, JungleHeart said:

Here it is guys, sorry my camera is terrible but I wrote a note for FG hehe 😄

I put Play magazines forward since they're from the UK, I thought it might be good to have some representation ❤️

SZ1r9sf.jpg

The one on the left is the OLDEST magazine I have here and it's for the NES haha. I can't believe they're all still alive.

Nice collection! I think I have that issue of GamePro floating around somewhere but I'm sure it was an US import from WHSmith as I don't recall seeing it anywhere else or getting it again after that. I certainly have/had the Aliens, Rapid Racer and GT2 issues of Play Magazine which were always a decent read although I probably didn't get it as much or at all when the PS3 arrived. 

On 5/6/2022 at 4:46 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Nice collection! I think I have that issue of GamePro floating around somewhere but I'm sure it was an US import from WHSmith as I don't recall seeing it anywhere else or getting it again after that. I certainly have/had the Aliens, Rapid Racer and GT2 issues of Play Magazine which were always a decent read although I probably didn't get it as much or at all when the PS3 arrived. 

Thanks! That's awesome, we had almost the same lineup!

You're right, I think it was when the PS3 and Xbox 360 came over when demand for magazines kind of dwindled down. I think they were at an all time high during the 16 bit period to PS1, so-so during the PS2 and Dreamcast, and after that pretty much everybody moved to digital.

The only reason I got those Xbox 360 magazines was due to the demo discs they had. It's just incredible value. To my regret, I had to let go of about 5-7 Xbox 360 magazines complete with their complimentary discs to be bundled with some Xbox 360 games I had to sell a few years ago (I needed the money).

On 5/6/2022 at 4:18 AM, JungleHeart said:

The one on the left is the OLDEST magazine I have here and it's for the NES haha.

The oldest one looks ace. Is there a 'cheat' section in it? Always found that hilarious. I defo have 2 cheat books that came with a magazine i'll try and share but also my cousin managed Toys R Us back in the day and he kindly gifted me some artwork that was from advertising some early console games. Even though they aren't magazines, i'll see what I can find later!

The first magazine I used to buy as a kid was Amstrad Action. Purely for the cassette you got on the front.

Then I jumped onto Mean Machines and when it split I'd also buy Mean Machines Sega and Nintendo Magazine System.

AmstradAction57.jpg

MeanMachines01.jpg

mean.jpg

nms.jpg

fart.gif