New PSN subscription.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Underwhelming, to say the least.

Could be fun for nostalgic playing. I missed a lot of legends growing up so maybe I can do that now. Would want to see the catalog first for sure. The playing on PC option is also really nice for the old stuff. Why don't you like it?

40 minutes ago, TurboR56Mini said:

Could be fun for nostalgic playing. I missed a lot of legends growing up so maybe I can do that now. Would want to see the catalog first for sure. The playing on PC option is also really nice for the old stuff. Why don't you like it?

I never go back and play old games, they're rarely as good as I remember them. Plus I own the ones I like.

It falls massively short when compared to gamepass on xbox. New, non studio games are abundant on gamepass. You'd never see the likes of a Total War game on Sony's platform, for example.

But mostly, I already resent having to pay a subscription fee to play games I've already bought.  

I'm currently on a purge of subscription services in general and there's nothing attractive to me in what they're selling.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I play old games for nostalgia and experience, but as you know me here, that nostalgia also comes from getting the console, disc, controller, etc out too. Its the same reason I don't get on with many cheap indie games, I play the PS5 to try and play the latest games that have the best graphics and gameplay. Usually only a few games like Minecraft are the exception.

I'll be staying on my usual, unless the next available tiers do something like make Destiny and all its expansions free forever. Problem is even with that statement for me is that the games are a rental service, which is why I don't use gamepass for xbox either.

Need to understand more over time, as always, it will be the titles that dictate what tier people buy.

Seems to be a couple of packages that offers a lot from the past but doesn't do much for the current and future and that's where Sony are missing the mark. It's great for PC users or players that just want to pick out some nostalgic titles but it's still a bit of a mess with opportunities missed. I think Sony are having difficulties replicating game pass because they don't have the library scope available on third party titles and they wont want to sell their exclusives short. The price is reasonable especially compared to the disaster that was PS Now but it's still a lot of money especially if you have several other digital subscriptions and just want the basics to play current stuff. 

I really don't like the idea of 3 packages though - it's simple of understand but at the same time it seems convoluted. They should've done PS+ basic and then PS+ Complete with PC features included along with the Extra content. The middle tier seems like a waste and for £17 more a year you can have everything.  

I wont be getting anything and if I need PS+, I will get it in its basic form. Not a fan of Cloud gaming and having nothing to show for it. They could've even made the Back compatible/PC tier free and charged a $5-10 a licence - it would've been less server stress, more money for developers and gamers would have been more careful on what they wanted to play and have a element of ownership. I also don't think the PC community will be hugely moved or invested in this - Microsoft have made some huge strides but Sony have very little engagement with the community aside from some surprise better late than never exclusives. They could've done with their own launcher really. 

So this launches today, I had PS now and PS Plus anyway so it has been switched over to premium and I have that until January 2023 which will give me plenty of time to try it out and decide whether or not to stick with the full subscription.

For me there are a couple of games that I really want to sink some hours into having never gotten round to it previously and it justifies the subscription at least for now -

Ghost of Tsushima

Returnal

Death Stranding - I did briefly play this but I feel like I never gave it enough time

The dark pictures games

The Caligula effect

There's a couple of games I might go back to such as spiderman and red dead 2 so I imagine for now I will get my money's worth but it will be like some have said, just where the future lies for the subscription

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

So this launches today, I had PS now and PS Plus anyway so it has been switched over to premium and I have that until January 2023 which will give me plenty of time to try it out and decide whether or not to stick with the full subscription.

For me there are a couple of games that I really want to sink some hours into having never gotten round to it previously and it justifies the subscription at least for now -

Ghost of Tsushima

Returnal

Death Stranding - I did briefly play this but I feel like I never gave it enough time

The dark pictures games

The Caligula effect

There's a couple of games I might go back to such as spiderman and red dead 2 so I imagine for now I will get my money's worth but it will be like some have said, just where the future lies for the subscription

Thats pretty sweet, I will deffo be upgrading to extra for Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding too. The Dark Pictures games are all really good games too so i hope you enjoy them 😊

I will have to check when my current plus sub renews so I can upgrade it. As much as the retro games on the premium look cool I dont think I would play any of them for long enough to justify the extra upgrade in sub

I think I'm just gonna stick with my normal PS Plus for the moment.  I already own a lot of the games offered with the other tiers, so I don't really see it as a plus for myself.  I'm kind of indifferent to the classic PS1 games.  For the most part, I've been there and done that so unless its MGS, I'm good.  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

12 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I think I'm just gonna stick with my normal PS Plus for the moment.  I already own a lot of the games offered with the other tiers, so I don't really see it as a plus for myself.  I'm kind of indifferent to the classic PS1 games.  For the most part, I've been there and done that so unless its MGS, I'm good.  

I'm with you, I think I'm lucky enough to own most of those available for trial. I'm also in the middle of a retro fix so if there's any PS1 games i'd like to try i'll probably try and obtain them on eBay so i have them all the time. Interested what the future holds for it though each month.

So Sony have annouced the mew additions to the games catalog for the extra and premium level and there's definitely a couple i'll consider getting. AC Blag Flag is one of my favourite Assassins Creed games so probably get that again, and Saints Row 4 is one i'll get too. Stray looked like it could be a cool little game to play so might get that one too. It will be interesting to see how often they do these updates to the catalog, hopefully it will be a monthly thing

bfc14e3d3339c74081d0e1ec420e034e14710fa5.jpg