F1 2022

TurboR56Mini

Moved this to Sports from Motors, maybe why it got missed @TurboR56Mini  🤣

Qualifying for Bahrain yesterday was defnitely something that was refreshing seeing the pack move around so much. Personally disappointed that McLaren seem to have been hit quite hard with problems and are way back although good to see Ferrari back once again with Leclerc beating Verstappen to pole. Mercedes have some big problems that for once i belived them that they weren't sandbagging. Still Hamilton pulling off a huge 5th with car that really isn't competitive for a win was incredible.

K-Mag and Bottas flying the flag for Haas and Alfa Romeo too! The Ferrari engines have a bonus on traction in the colder evenings currently so we'll have to see in the longer race if the Mercedes engine cars come back into it later on in the race.

Looing forward to the race more than I expected, maybe helped by all the changes we've had for this year and its always nice to see the grid shook up once in a while.

Not sure why they had to change the Grid rule where you start on the Q2 tyre, I thought that adds to the excitement of different strategies but we'll see how it plays out if we get the same issue now everyone gets their choice of their own tyre at the start of the race from 2022.

31 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Moved this to Sports from Motors, maybe why it got missed @TurboR56Mini  🤣

I mean, motors is talking about cars... And that's where the last one was.. 😂

10 minutes ago, TurboR56Mini said:

I mean, motors is talking about cars... And that's where the last one was.. 😂

Maybe it'll help give it a kick then instead! 🤣

EDIT - In fact, i'll move it back! 😄

Eh, it's all good. I don't care either way. I also like that the Italian stallions are back in the running. I was getting tired of hearing the fan base bitch and moan. I think the Merc is still top tier they are just no longer OP. We are so used to them being OP that we forgot what competition felt like. Got a taste of that last year but new cars, new tech, new era. It should shape up to be a good year. I will be surprised if Merc is not in top 3. They are still not at mid field or back of pack levels. They also have incredible drivers.

I think it’s more points for Haas than the last 2 years combined!  Magnussen was definitely the stand out for me, I don’t know how he didn’t get driver of the day.

Overall though some terrible luck for Red Bull and brilliant luck for Merc.  Merc were way off the pace though, being 40 seconds or so off the leader at the safety car.  I hope they can get on top of the car and make it a 3 way battle but that’s a lot of time to gain.

It was great seeing Ferrari on the podium again.  All those years watching Schumacher I can still hum along to the Italian national anthem 😄 

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On 3/21/2022 at 10:38 AM, Greboth said:

Overall though some terrible luck for Red Bull and brilliant luck for Merc.  Merc were way off the pace though, being 40 seconds or so off the leader at the safety car.  I hope they can get on top of the car and make it a 3 way battle but that’s a lot of time to gain.

Yeah it was but it did add to the thrilling end of the race which I don't think anyone expected. Ferrari being on top does have a refreshing sound to it, although I wish it was McLaren! Bad day at the office for them as they need some parts quickly.

It'll be interesting to see how the Ferrari engines can hold themselves up top. Red Bull looked like they were matching it until 3 retirements for their engine. I'm sure Merc will be up there in 3-4 races.

Racing wise, it was a great first 20 laps, quiet middle 20, followed by a decent last 20 but that was because the there was a Safety Car more so for Gasly. Seems closer racing but i'm not as convinced as some of the commentators were as I think DRS will still be needed, maybe even 3 times on the track to keep the excitement going.

Outside that, it has to Kevin that was the great result. Seeing Guenther not as his miserable self was a delight for sure!

200.gif

RedBull cars are still overweight but keeping up with Ferrari which is a good thing. We have weight to shed and Ferrari already having 2 years to develop this car with RB having a matter of months means they are in a better place. Mercedes are having fundamental issues getting performance out of the engines on E10 this shows with most of their cars at the back of the grid. 

Their main problem now is the design is frozen so they can only develop through aero and setup. Rumour has it there's a new floor going to Australia so that will be interesting. 

As for RB retirements I know the reasons and they were rectified pretty sharpish. It's ace to see Ferrari bang on the pace and Checo confident in RB18 but now. Ashame Merc are further back as a battle between 6 cars instead of 2 at the moment would be so much better. 

I am liking the rule change though, the Cars are easier to follow and will only get better as we go on 🙂 cant wait for Australia now. One of my favourite races 👍

Twitch :  gdub_5252 follow to help me on my road to 50 followers 🙂

Its been a great start so far tbh @G_dub52 , better than expected for sure. Leclerc really is giving it back to Verstappen and fair play. He knows its a long season and I think he seems to know how to challenge him in a fair yet tough manner. Can't for Australia either!

1 hour ago, G_dub52 said:

I am liking the rule change though, the Cars are easier to follow and will only get better as we go on 🙂 cant wait for Australia now. One of my favourite races 👍

I'm liking this too, my only comment though would be it feels like it works because we have 3 DRS points so far on the first 2 races. Already not looking forward to Monaco again 🤣🤣 Do you think Australia will have enough places for DRS?

1 hour ago, G_dub52 said:

As for RB retirements I know the reasons and they were rectified pretty sharpish. It's ace to see Ferrari bang on the pace and Checo confident in RB18 but now. Ashame Merc are further back as a battle between 6 cars instead of 2 at the moment would be so much better. 

Defo agree with this. I'm pretty disappointed McLaren are way way back too as they were hotting up to be a real contender I felt this year. This purpoising really has nailed the speed of some of the cars.

With all the issues that Mercedes have, I did find it interesting that they are still 2rd in the Championship when they've considered to have their worst ever start for 8 years. Long ol' season to go.

To be fair LeClerc and Max always have good tit for tat racing it's just Charles finally has a chassis to match his drive. It's interesting you think he's keeping up with Max when they are ahead on the development curve lol just because he won last year it's a completely new ball game. 

Mercedes are second because they got gifted a wedge due to RB failures in the first race. Ferrari power is showing with the Haas too which is ace to see K Mag running so well. 

There's only 2 DRS detection points in Oz but plenty of passing places now they can follow closer. 

McLaren suffered the same fuel pump issues in race one and I'm not sure they made the same changes RB did for Saudi? Still it's good to see a mix and nice to see Russell really pushing on with the car he's been given. 

2 hours ago, G_dub52 said:

It's interesting you think he's keeping up with Max when they are ahead on the development curve lol just because he won last year it's a completely new ball game. 

Very true what you say there - but perceptions are usually based on the driver's skill in my mind first and foremost. Yes, cars are different but if it was just that, we would see the Sainz, Checo, etc up there in a huge dogfight which isn't the case so far. 

Mercedes are second because they got gifted a wedge due to RB failures in the first race.

Yep, but that is the facts. Reliability got them the points so they should still be smiling given how far they are behind on pace alone. Results like the first race can really end up mattering at the end of the season.

Ferrari power is showing with the Haas too which is ace to see K Mag running so well. 

Really want to see Haas do well so I don't mind the Ferrari engines being so powerful right now. Its like he has no pressure on himself whatsoever given the circumstances how he came back into F1. You can see how that translates already to his driving. He's become more fun to watch inbetween too, as he used to be a little harsh back in the day I felt.

Still it's good to see a mix and nice to see Russell really pushing on with the car he's been given. 

I'm with you there. He looks like a man on a mission, really do think he has a big chance to beat Hamilton already.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:56 PM, TurboR56Mini said:

Where do we think the limit should be? We can't have races all year round can we? We're already over 20 races and now there's talk for 30. I personally don't care where they have to race, as long as the track provides great racing. I wish they would do something about Monaco as it's utterly pointless for a spectacle.

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I wish they would do something about Monaco as it's utterly pointless for a spectacle.

This. The cars are too technically advanced for the circuit and, with minimal overtaking, IMO  it’s boring 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 4/2/2022 at 7:57 PM, TurboR56Mini said:

My watch guys are trying to get Rolex to cough up some tickets to 2023 F1 Vegas. My god that will be epic.

Everyone is already getting there names down to volunteer and take freight haha 

Well, Australia wasn't the big exciting race I initially hoped but it did bring the championship closer together once again. Did not expect Verstappen to retire at all, even though it wouldn't have made a difference to the race winner as Leclerc was on another level in that Ferrari.

Russell took the advantage of the safety car over Hamilton to grab his first podium and considering Merc are well off the top pace, they have maximised the points they probably could get and some. Mental to think they are second in the constructors with such a slow car compared to the top 3/4 teams.

And whilst it was more of a quieter race for Mclaren, it was great to see them get some solid points with 6th and 7th. This next few weeks hopefully will give a bit of time to some upgrades for the pack to bunch up some more.

Here's hoping Haas don't fade away too quickly either!!

Next up is the first Italian race (Imola) and I can't see Ferrari not having the pace. I think the only thing that could happen is some mindgames to put Leclerc off or add too much pressure at one of their home GPs. Its a much better start to the season that I expected for sure.