No COD 2023

J4MES OX4D

Sensible decision really - all we would've got was a half-baked Treyarch Black Ops game with barely any content at launch and then being propped up by the usual old maps after. We can thank Microsoft for this move and hopefully it will pay off as Cold War apparently got better and had a new update recently despite Vanguard's launch. It's not like it would hurt them financially as Warzone prints money throughout the year regardless. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-22-call-of-duty-reportedly-skipping-annual-release-next-year

I agree with that decision once the product improves from it, Especially with the emphasis on Microtransactions since Warzone. It will make people more likely to invest.  I know once they release the next one I'll drop back in . I didn't end up getting Vanguard in the end

2 hours ago, PrivateParts_93 said:

I agree with that decision once the product improves from it, Especially with the emphasis on Microtransactions since Warzone. It will make people more likely to invest.  I know once they release the next one I'll drop back in . I didn't end up getting Vanguard in the end

There's also no reason why the new Modern Warfare couldn't last for two years with the right amount of post-launch support. MW2019 still remain strong nearly 3 years later and the two following COD's were substantially worse. Also the Warzone integration of Cold War and Vanguard did not go well compared to the framework that the original MW Warzone had in place. Modern Warfare 2022 and Warzone 2 should easily be good for a couple of years at the very least without us needing Black Ops 6 next year. I didn't get Vanguard either and from what I've read, it had a hefty negative effect on Warzone when compared to Verdansk. 

It's probably better to give the developers a bit of breathing room to make a solid game. Every year it's a mad push to send out a game that's unfinished and full of bugs and content being drip fed. 

I would even say the last 3 Cods were problematic, MW19 wasn't right at launch either. 

There was very little maps at launch and we had 3 or 4 in the beta which accounted for half the content. 

Not everyone wants to play 10v10 or 2v2/3v3. The Ground war was ridiculous and very buggy for the majority of it's life cycle. 

All these Cods recently have gotten better as time goes on, but we expect and deserve more as a consumer. Especially at launch. 

It seems that it's a common running theme amongst games these days. 

Cyberpunk/Battlefield, *insert other buggy examples here*

Deadlines need to be met and shareholders paid etc. Sad but true. 

I've only bought one cod from the last 5 so if it means treyarch can actually release a fun game full of decent content in 2024 then great as I don't expect anything from this year's offering as it's a successor to one of the worst CoDs ever imo.

However I won't hold my breath. 

6 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

There's also no reason why the new Modern Warfare couldn't last for two years with the right amount of post-launch support. MW2019 still remain strong nearly 3 years later and the two following COD's were substantially worse. Also the Warzone integration of Cold War and Vanguard did not go well compared to the framework that the original MW Warzone had in place. Modern Warfare 2022 and Warzone 2 should easily be good for a couple of years at the very least without us needing Black Ops 6 next year. I didn't get Vanguard either and from what I've read, it had a hefty negative effect on Warzone when compared to Verdansk. 

Here's hoping MW2022 will hit the ground running I loved MW2019 but the file size crippled my ability to play other games in the end. 

I will definitely get the new modern warfare but I am done with WW1 & 2 games 😂😂

This is the best thing for this franchise right now.  Makes you wonder how that will change when MS takes the reigns.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Assuming this years game is decent then this will be a good thing. If people don't like MW2 then it could suck for COD fans. I think this is a good move as churning out a new game every year was hurting the franchise really and the last few games have been shit.

fart.gif

1 minute ago, MrBiron said:

Assuming this years game is decent then this will be a good thing. If people don't like MW2 then it could suck for COD fans. I think this is a good move as churning out a new game every year was hurting the franchise really and the last few games have been shit.

Fingers crossed man , I always felt having multiple studios working on different entries into the franchise lacked any sort of direction or continuity Look at Cold war vs MW vs Vanguard now and they are trying to tie it all down to warzone 😂

1 hour ago, MrBiron said:

Thing is they've always churned out a game every year and we can all agree there were some bangers, now wether it's more difficult these days with newer tech I don't know but the franchise has been hurt more probably by stupid design decisions and concentrating on warzone etc. Chances are if you didn't like mw19 you won't like mw II.

You can take 3 years or 10 years if you make a shit game it will still be shit, Ultimately time will tell.

Absolutely the right call, since no one is surprised in the slightest. Makes you wonder why on earth Activision let the decision go for so long. Games are changing, evolving into things that we don't see as many new AAA games out as often, with people more wanting to invest time in games they already own. They can make a huge W still after all this if they get the next 2 years right on the correct model.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:08 PM, phil bottle said:

MW2019 was the last one I bothered with and judging by a recent night on it, it's still very decent now in 2022.

This proves the point too. It has been great to get back into it and definitely stands out - it doesn't feel like a 3 year old game after all. I think it just got caught up in the usual 'If its named CoD, its shit' mentality at the time.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb