Retarded Highway Code Changes [UK]

J4MES OX4D

Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to force cyclists to use the middle of the road? There is also a 1.5 metre overtake rule in place now where you'll literally have to be in the other lane. Cyclists are also being encouraged to be two abreast if with others to clog up lanes further. I can only see this increasing traffic jams, causing more rear-end accidents and generally antagonising drivers more against people who don't have to pay road tax or require any licence despite having hundreds of millions ploughed into unused cycle lanes over the years. If they think this will increase the amount of people that decide to bike then they are sorely deluded beyond any comprehension. Also cars now must give way to pedestrians crossing at junctions which will cause slowdown and more accidents. 

In the last year where I live, they've also been experimenting with these LTN's (Low Traffic Neighborhood) schemes where they block off a selection of roads to allegedly reduce pollution and traffic in these zones but all it has done is cause road users to divert to alternative routes, clog them up spectacularly, increase travel time by an excess of 30 minutes and most importantly, they have cut off key emergency service routes in the town which is absolutely diabolical. The people making these decisions are absolute fucking fools. I often bike and I know quite a few others who do this to get to work or cycle casually and we either use the edge of the road without concern or the cycle tracks provided at great expense. I wouldn't dream of cycling in the middle or causing hold-ups to people getting to work or going about their day. 

It's unbelievable really

46094807-10454809-This_Graphic_shows_how

38 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

I actually thought that was how it was always! Now I realise I’ve been dicing with death every time I cross the road !

well at least from now on you will have both luck and law on your side, so the dice rolls are going to be even better😅

3 hours ago, Tar-Eruntalion said:

oof that change with the pedestrians is going to cause so many accidents until everyone adapts to it

Yep. Now pedestrians can blindly walk into the road and they have to then trust that both drivers in each lane will give way with their forced-priority. I will only cross when it's clear regardless and that's how it should have stayed. A car turning left who may be giving way to one turning right (and a pedestrian) could see the person on foot thinking it's clear looking right, only to then be struck by someone turning left that isn't observing the new guidelines. At best, it's going to slow everything down on the road. 

That it wasn't like that before is fucking stupid anyway. This is what I was taught in Holland, where every other road user gets right of way over anyone turning. It's quite simple really, if you're turning, you wait. Regardless of vehicle.

This coupled with the Dutch reacharound (lol) just tells me that our fantastically imaginative country leaders are just looking to other countries for ideas. 

banlol.png

5 hours ago, Diddums said:

That it wasn't like that before is fucking stupid anyway. This is what I was taught in Holland, where every other road user gets right of way over anyone turning. It's quite simple really, if you're turning, you wait. Regardless of vehicle.

This coupled with the Dutch reacharound (lol) just tells me that our fantastically imaginative country leaders are just looking to other countries for ideas. 

No it means the Dutch were being stupid first. 😁

If you are taught this from the off that is completely different to just having things reversed on you as a stealth mission directive to get people out of their cars which we all know is thee objective movinh forward, sticking under some bs health and safety initiative just makes it harder to argue against but I've said this last week that anyone involved in this stupidity should be fired immediately.

As for the Dutch reach around firstly I can open the car door with my left hand while looking in the opposite direction and because I'm not thicker than a whale egg omlette I've never in 34 years of driving just blindly opened the door into traffic, so that's just the icing on a cake made of turds. 

Chances are this shit won't even take off, it's not widely advertised and I certainly will both wait for cars and while one either bike expect cars to want to kill me. 

Fick the idiots who came up with this shite.