Destiny 2 to start charging for more content?

Antpool84

This popped up on my feed today so thought i'd see what all your thoughts are on this 😊

WWW.VG247.COM

New dungeons coming in with the Witch Queen expansion are tied to the deluxe edition...

• Antpool84 changed the title to Destiny 2 to start charging for more content?

In a word, no. But two things bother the Destiny community and in many ways, Bungie keep doing this to themselves. You also have to take a pinch of salt the broad Destiny community on social media and reddit because if you spent every day on there, you could probably find the next drama event 24hours later!

I said a while back I would do a breakdown for what you get for your money with the upcoming DLCs. Ironically, I haven't done this yet and this point shows why. Bungie have decided to move the Dungeons to a separate pack to purchase IF you don't buy the Deluxe Edition. So, no, its not more money as what we're paying for is what you will still get....but Bungie wanting to try and be the most actively open game company completely miss the ball when it comes to any communication regarding the monetization of Destiny.

The second point is more so what people are buying and what timespan it has in the game. The Destiny Content Vault which is basically a fancy name for just removing older content and bringing back old content that has been improved, really doesn't sit well with people - even if they have either a) no intention of playing old content again and b) no one really ever owns any of the game in a live service (once the server switches off in years to come, thats it. Its done).

The more I think about all of this is that in reality you just have to step back as an individual and ask yourself, will you get value for money out of what you buy next in Destiny. For pretty much everyone here, based purely on time spent, it will be worth the money as you'll always have something to do every single week that is varied within one game. You can't pay for it all now? Not a problem, buy a-la-carte for what you want...just know that if you buy it all individually it will cost a little more, which surely is to be expected, right?

One last point to mention. People will say its a subscription based game already so just go to monthly subs. I can agree with the idea that it kind of feels like that, but I won't endorse moving to monthly subs only. You should be able to buy what you want, when you want and not have a bank account set up (cos it isn't just adults that play it) for all the content not be accessible if you don't pay your monthly X dollars on the next payday. Plus, there's just not enough content like how WoW on PC run a proper MMO - and even then some say they don't get value every single month. I do hope they can find a way though to get back permanently some old missions from D2 so new people can experience a better story to follow and we can have some replayability in it.

Deluxe Editions are pure ass and I wish Bungie would keep it simple instead of using tiresome and overused terminologies to flog their convoluted content model. Sell the main expansion, sell the battle pass and then flog the extra shite separately so there is no confusion or nasty surprises when someone finds out they can't play a portion of it because they didn't buy the Super Deluxe Expansion Year X Seasonal Deluxe Edition when all they bought was the Deluxe Edition Expansion Season Pass.

If they are alienating longstanding players then god help newcomers trying to get their heads around what is available and what isn't. All these years later and Bungie still haven't got an ideal publication framework in place. 

I've only just started the game and don't think i've hit the point where this would affect me yet regarding the content, but will this make it harder for me to get more involved (eventually) with things like raids? I get that they need to make money but like @J4MES OX4D  said will it make it more confusing as to what i can and can't do as a newcomer? 

1 minute ago, Antpool84 said:

I've only just started the game and don't think i've hit the point where this would affect me yet regarding the content, but will this make it harder for me to get more involved (eventually) with things like raids? I get that they need to make money but like @J4MES OX4D  said will it make it more confusing as to what i can and can't do as a newcomer? 

No, it won't make it harder because just like now, you can access the free raids and dungeons today and you buy the relevant pack for whatever raid/dungeon you want to play.

However, the newcomer thing has always been an issue for Bungie because I can foresee if you were on your own and never playing much with a place like FG, then it would be had to pick up and understand - especially if you are invested in story. The rely, too much still imo, on existing players showing new players the ropes. Good news for you Ant, is we're here to do that 😄 but that doesn't mean that Bungie should do that moving forward.

As we're semi stuck in the new development underneath D2 to make it easier for new content, I think the next big jump in experience for new players will be Witch Queen in February.

Stick a grand under your pillow tonight, then every time the game goes "LOL U NO PLAY WIV FREN COS U NO OWN DLC LOL KEK LOL" you are ahead of the game. 

The way Bungo manages their DLC is a fucking disaster. I know Lee likes to bang on about how they should improve as if it's some quirky little upstart that deserves a bit of patience and understanding, but the fact is that this is a multi- billion dollar company which has run multiple franchises over decades so they've got not excuse. 

They need to have 1x DLC which includes all previous DLC, and the base game. Not fucking about with a lottery of which DLC you need to buy to play with your friends. 

Release new DLC? That then becomes the chargeable one and all the previous ones become free. 

As much as I'm against the season pass, at least it's its own thing so doesn't affect what you can and can't do. 

Christ, I'd even chuck a fiver a month at them to just get their shit together so I can spend more time enjoying the game and less time whining like a little bitch. 

banlol.png

46 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

The rely, too much still imo, on existing players showing new players the ropes. Good news for you Ant, is we're here to do that 😄 

😂😂 thanks dude, i know you guys will be able to save me when i'm getting stuck and making noob mistakes 😂😂

I do agree a bit with @Diddumsthat they should make it simpler to play with your friends. Hoping to get there soonish so i can make a bit of a better opinion of how im finding the game lol

I've just checked the Steam Store and it's £34.99 for the standard, £69.99 for the Deluxe and £87.99 for the 30th anniversary. It's also pretty disgusting to see how many threads, Tweets and comments there are in circulation about the confusion surrounding what's available and what isn't in each respective version. I'm surprised Bungie haven't contacted EA to see if they will do one of those famous content tick box charts🤣

It's also pretty tasteless that they are capitalising on the studio's name to charge £18 more for a version representing their 30th anniversary when I don't think anyone at the studio is an OG and 90% of the personnel currently probably didn't even work on Halo 3. 

People will definitely get their money's worth but the sheer convolution and usage of tiresome industry terms just make Bungie look absolutely dreadful. They may have escaped Activision but they essentially taken their hideous business practices off them in the process.

I don't know why they just can't flog the expansion for £35 and then the season pass for the same which keeps things simple. They've probably lost more money pissing people off no end.