FIFA 23 Name Change

J4MES OX4D

Looks like EA will be moving away from the FIFA branding (albeit retaining the licence) and instead calling their future title EA Sports FC which is expected to be a free to play platform similar to that eFootball shite and the upcoming UFL. Whilst I don't think EA's football games will be too affected by the change in terms of them persisting with the proven but limited Frostbite Engine, the model will be hugely different but I'm sure they'll be more in-tune to the plan than what Konami were. It's quite sad to see what football games have become and it's only gonna get worse

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-10-11-ea-trademarks-ea-sports-fc-as-it-mulls-ditching-fifa-licence

Inevitable a rebrand is on the cards with PES being changed it feels like a good time to refresh the image. I'm going to stay positive that this might indicate some small changes to their business model as I do think a yearly release is getting tiresome due to the lack of huge changes between each yearly game.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

It will definitely go to free to play. But so much of it will then be monetised, and they probably focus even more than they already do on just ultimate team. I am just hoping that when it comes to clubs, the stuff you need to pay for is cosmetic only (hair, boots etc). That wouldnt bother me too much, unless it goes into the realm of buying perks and things, which is a high possibility 

On 10/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Inevitable a rebrand is on the cards with PES being changed it feels like a good time to refresh the image. I'm going to stay positive that this might indicate some small changes to their business model as I do think a yearly release is getting tiresome due to the lack of huge changes between each yearly game.

cba

On 10/15/2021 at 10:28 AM, LordBaguette said:

It will definitely go to free to play. But so much of it will then be monetised, and they probably focus even more than they already do on just ultimate team. I am just hoping that when it comes to clubs, the stuff you need to pay for is cosmetic only (hair, boots etc). That wouldnt bother me too much, unless it goes into the realm of buying perks and things, which is a high possibility 

I think free to play can be a frightful thing as you then worry in the opposite way that every bit of the game is broken down and charged for - however for a game like FIFA, that would work for many of us. I'm onlyinterested in Pro Clubs, so give me stuff thats available for that than any other gamemode. Hell, I probably would spend more money on it if they did offer options To customise that gamemode even more with kits, badges, etc. I think we'll get a taste of how this feels in UFL Football tbh...just hope it has similar gamemodes too.

I'm really hoping this situation will put other developers on notice and encourage them to move into the genre - EA and Konami have had it so easy for nearly two decades now and the licencing aspect has really alienated any prospective developers that they just wouldn't dare risk it let alone being able to afford it. With EFootball being absolute ass and EA getting pounded by FIFA in the ass for money then it could open some doors for others. UFL is one and maybe we'll see more. Also the current situation may force EA to rethink their potential F2P model especially if FIFA wants a billion every 4 years for the privilege and a slice of every microtransation made. Doesn't sound like they could afford to make the game go free and if they did, they'd need to generate $250m minimum on a F2P game and their MTX's could be shredded between FIFA, the digital store fronts and taxes. 

Some interesting developments today following on from just what I was saying just last night

LRw99ygLJpaFYRhVVcSHCj-1200-80.jpeg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Football's governing body is scrambling to decide what its future in games looks like.

There's a really good chance we get to a point we won't have a AAA football game out like e've seen for a few years yet if FIFA are onlyt starting to look into broadening their horizons in the gaming industry. Interesting. Not sure how to feel about that.