Nintendo 64 And Sega Genesis Games Coming To Nintendo Switch Online

The3rdWalker

You'll soon be able to play a slew of classic Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games on your Nintendo Switch via the platform's online subscription service, the company announced today during its most recent Nintendo Direct livestream. Nintendo revealed it will soon offer a new membership plan through Nintendo Online, through which you'll be able to play games like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, and Starfox 64. The service will allow up to four Switch owners to play games locally or online, the company said. Through the same membership plan, Nintendo also announced it will be adding Sega Genesis games to Nintendo Switch Online.  Shown off during the trailer were games like Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2, and Ecco the Dolphin. 

Nintendo 64 Games: 

• Super Mario 64
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Star Fox 64
  • Yoshi's Story
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • WinBack: Covert Operations
  • Mario Tennis
  • Dr. Mario 64
  • Sin and Punishment 

Sega Genesis Games: 

• Castlevania Bloodlines
  • Contra: Hard Corps
  • Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine
  • Ecco The Dolphin
  • Golden Axe
  • Gunstar Heroes 
  • Musha
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Ristar
  • Shining Force
  • Shinobi III
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Strider

No specific release date was given, but Nintendo said it's coming in late October and will offer all base elements of the Nintendo Switch Online service. The company is referring to this plan as "Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack." Users on the existing plans will be able to still do so, though they can also change their membership plans if they so choose. No pricing was given, but Nintendo said that information, as well as an exact release date, will come soon. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

No Goldeneye

Its not often I'll say this, but this is a good thing. That game is our lord and saviour and needs to be remembered as such. Bringing it back will just ruin the memories.

banlol.png

2 hours ago, Diddums said:

Its not often I'll say this, but this is a good thing. That game is our lord and saviour and needs to be remembered as such. Bringing it back will just ruin the memories.

That’s probably a good point. Since back then graphics and gameplay couldn’t get any better than this! 

I don’t know how many times I killed those poor bastards using the toilet in the first mission. 😂 

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

13 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I just wished they released an N64 mini. This looking very unlikely now.

Oh well, back to emulating the games instead. Screw modern Nintendo!

I'm often surprised people would rather buy the mini's (NES, SNES, etc) when you can save money by making a raspberry pi and have every game from PS2 backwards at your fingertips.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:51 PM, The3rdWalker said:

I'm often surprised people would rather buy the mini's (NES, SNES, etc) when you can save money by making a raspberry pi and have every game from PS2 backwards at your fingertips.

I think its the nostalgia factor of having the actual system on show alongside playing some of the games rather than having all the games. There's millions of casual gamers that aren't bothered about having every game like hardcore gamers.

For me, its great news that Sega is coming to Switch! Although somewhat im torn as I will always prioritise finding the original game and cartridge for the Mega Drive. Its about the whole playtime from getting the old controllers out, blowing the cartridge and playing on the original machine that gives it an edge over playing the Switch...having said that, when I go on holiday now I'll absolutely tap into some of these games as I recently did with Zelda via the Online offering.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

8 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think its the nostalgia factor of having the actual system on show alongside playing some of the games rather than having all the games. There's millions of casual gamers that aren't bothered about having every game like hardcore gamers.

But, it's not the actual system. It's a 3D printed shell. You're just paying Nintendo a premium for things you buy off of Amazon which will have much more.

On 9/27/2021 at 4:57 PM, The3rdWalker said:

But, it's not the actual system. It's a 3D printed shell. You're just paying Nintendo a premium for things you buy off of Amazon which will have much more.

Oh, I totally get that Rob. But its nostalgia and ease. People are too lazy to either buy their own 3d printer and make it themselves, or buy a cheaper (and probably crappy looking) one on etsy or something like that. Its similar to physical games and special edition ones. You'd get the same game to play if it was just digital but people like fancy additional extras just because it looks nice on a fancy shelf, etc.

Although one day, I will get a Raspberry Pi and have all the games from all the consoles stuck in it for an arcade machine. Thats if i ever have space and money for some type of fun gaming cabin!

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb