Upgrade components or new PC entirely ?

Dr Diamond

Sup everyone

I got a PC built by Overclockers in 2018 - as the title suggests, am considering an upgrade in the future.

Currently:

Ryzen 5 2600
GeForce 1060 3 GB
16 GB Ram

As you can see, bit on the slow side these days, although it still runs most things fine. I've also had issues with it crashing before and had to reinstall windows a few times (Diddums told me to take the RAM out and blow on it, fucked it entirely until i reinstalled windows and it *seems* to have been okay ever since).

It will be used mostly for games, mostly single player.I'm also starting to edit slo-mo Go Pro footage and its a little on the slow side loading up big video files/working with them. I've also got a PS5 and because of the hacker issues with FPS i am happy enough playing on PS5 (K&M cross play disabled).

Is it worth just ugrading the whole machine or getting new components ? I'm thinking that as the component shortage eases over the next 12 months that prices will also hopefully fall.

Suggestions ?

Ta

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

A new machine altogether is best. You have a fairly mid-range 1080p PC by today's standards I'd say. I'd keep your eyes on the market and if you go in with a reasonable budget of £1500, you could grab yourself a machine capable of running 4K fairly comfortable armed with the likes of a 3070. Individual components will probably remain quite pricey but places like Overlockers and Chillblast can build decent custom systems at great value for money. They know their stuff so you can trust what they throw together rather than these random builds by general retailers designed simply for profit. 

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

You have a fairly mid-range 1080p PC by today's standards

You drunk? That's still a very decent PC. GPU is a bit weak but the rest is fine. 

Adam get a new GPU if you can get your hands on one, and stretch the CPU out for another year or two. 

banlol.png

20 hours ago, Dr Diamond said:

I've also got a PS5 and because of the hacker issues with FPS i am happy enough playing on PS5 (K&M cross play disabled).

I'm more bothered about you not telling us this and being an absolute hermit online you spoon.

However, back to thread. I won't be the best person to advise you on this stuff atm, but others can add their 2p to it i'm sure. @phil bottle @Greboth @RenFengge @TurboR56Mini  @Tar-Eruntalion  @tronic44

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Diddums has it right, your CPU is still good.  Just make sure DOCP (AMD’s XMP) is enabled for your ram as ram speed helps a lot with ryzen chips.

Add a better GPU and you should be good for a while.  in the future, depending on your mobo, you can add a later gen ryzen cpu but I wouldn’t do that now as it’s unnecessary.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm more bothered about you not telling us this and being an absolute hermit online you spoon.

Ha

Im playing Warzone with some work pals, but I am waiting for BF to come out so I can stop playing WZ and join everyone again.

I will see about a new GPU but was thinking that id then need to perhaps also get a new PSU to match the power draw? pretty sure Phil mentioned this before

Also, is more RAM in the mean time going to help with video editing ? Its not super slow, but its a drag waiting 3 seconds each time I fastforward a video clip and it lags.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten