New Players Questions Thread

Spacedeck

So some of us are currently new to D2 and in the future more will likely come, so I thought a general thread on small questions that probably don't require a heap of discussion.  So if you have any small questions regarding this, I'm hoping people will be able to answer.

So first up, what on earth is all these symbols on the destination map?

symbols.thumb.jpg.bea12f60e9c3ed4dcdad62a835a1acd2.jpg

Secondly, each weapon has a symbol in the upper corner.  I think this shows which expansion pack it has come from, so which ones do I keep?  Say I'm currently playing the Beyond Light story, should I be scrapping all armour / weapons from the previous expansions?

Any useful sites to be aware off? The only one I've heard about so far is

https://destinyitemmanager.com/

Hello. I too am sort of new to the game but I should be able to explain. The green marker above the blue planet is your location, the gold symbols means that you are able to get pinnacle gear there, this will be a world drop weapon or piece of armour thats power level is higher than your current power level. And the symbols on top right are what season/expansion they came out in but that does not mean that they are bad. Although if they are sunset you can't use them. 

It’s going to hard to explain over a long arse message without talking you through it. 
You’re correct with the symbol in the corner of the weapons. It shows the seasons they were or are available. If you hover over a weapon and hold L2 it will show the current power that the weapon is, the power limit the weapon can go to and the current season power cap (basically the max power you can reach without the artifact, currently 1330)

Some weapons in previous seasons were sunset which means they’re longer viable to use in current activities, other than some crucible games. If you’re new to the game then don’t worry as you won’t have them anyways. If you go to the vault at the tower there’s a kiosk where you can buy old weapons like mountaintop etc, these have been sunset so you’ll see what I mean if you inspect them. 

In the destination page on the left hand side you’ll see some symbols. These are current quests etc you need to complete. You can also see them in the quest bar along the top. The gold star symbols above each planet are weekly things to do, this is how you power level. You’d do all your powerful stuff first and then do your pinnacles after for efficiency. Theres a lot more into power grinding with min-maxing but don’t worry about that. 

For weapons don't worry about the symbols other than for sunsetting (and you can tell if a weapon has been sunset as it will have a max power level when you inspect it (same for armour).

What to keep  - armour is relatively easy, if its total stat score is above 62 say, I'd keep it at this stage, lot of people worry about stat distribution but at this stage just collect stuff with high stats overall.

Guns is harder as there's a confusing large amount of perks some of which change a guns performance quite a lot. Also each gun has a 'masterwork' perk which can be a huge deal - for example range on shotguns. So how do you know what to keep -

WWW.LIGHT.GG

The Best Destiny 2 Database with possible rolls, full stats, 3D previews, god rolls, leaderboards, reviews, and more. Find D2 weapons, armor, quests, triumphs, vendors, and cosmetics with our detailed tools.

light gg is pretty good at helping sort the good from the bad, although it ignores masterworks so just use it for perk ideas. Always good to look for perks that compliment each other , maybe buffing damage and reload which tend to be the best things to go for.

16 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

what on earth is all these symbols on the destination map?

They actually come together to form a little minigame that Bungie created, it's called "Ultima Confusion X: What the fuck is all this?" and the reward for completing it is that they all piss off.

16 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

so which ones do I keep?

Throw all that shit in the bin and play with what you enjoy. If you tried to keep track of the metas and sort out the who's who of weapons and armour, you'd lose your mind. Find a gun you enjoy playing with and every time you get something else, play with it a bit and see if you enjoy it more, if not - infuse or bin. Keep one gun of each type for the various gunsmith bounties, and you're golden.

As for armour, I just randomly picked something I liked, maxed it out and masterworked it, then added some nice colours and shit so I look fucking fabulous darling and use that. If you want to fanny about min-maxing then hit up Youtube, shitloads of sweats who will tell you where to place every single pixel but I play the way I enjoy and if that means I do 5% less damage then so be it. 

banlol.png

56 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

For Didds its not about the DPS, its about knowing the damage phase is happening  !!!!🤣

Sorry Bob, you'll need to speak up mate, I can't hear you over the buzzing of my Vex Mythoclast from my second run 😄 

banlol.png

@Teenwolf25  has given great intro advice. So, thanks for that.

@Diddums makes a good point on keeping the weapon you like, trying out new ones, etc. Because how you play is going to be different than others. For example, initially, I was very much a long distance player. I still sort of am. Originally, I was all about snipers and bows... probably a good minute on submachine guns... and definitely rocket launchers. Currently and probably for the last 2 seasons, I've been on a heavy grenade launch with certain specs instead of my favorite rocket launcher. I currently do not like snipers and prefer bows... and I love my auto-rifles over SMGs.

I think for armor builds, @Therealraiser  has some fantastic advice on what to spec out your armor and how. He's usually found on our Discord chat, but feel free to DM or ask him here instead!

I am by no means good at this game lol. But, our top players like @Venom , @Teenwolf25 , @Baabcat , @Riff Machine , @Forty6_N_two , @TurboR56Mini , @MrSwainey101 , and others who currently escape my mind and not previously mentioned can give such amazing tips and info. Just reach out to them. 

If you’re intending on just playing the casual stuff and not bothered about progression then to be fair Diddums is right keep what you like the feel of, all weapons have different perks etc so everything with have a pro and con even if it’s the same weapon as the perks will be different 90% of the time. For armour tho you want to keep high stat roles etc. Armour is the main reason thing in destiny, it’s the difference between staying alive and killing shit effectively and being dead every 2mins. 

I got a pulse rifle drop ( horrors least) from the nightfall that dropped at 0 power… what is the point? These used to be really cool guns typically. I don’t think I can infuse either, is there any reason to hold on to it?

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

I got a pulse rifle drop ( horrors least) from the nightfall that dropped at 0 power… what is the point? These used to be really cool guns typically. I don’t think I can infuse either, is there any reason to hold on to it?

It’s a known bug that was mentioned in last weeks TWAB I think, not sure if they are going to fix it or remove it but I’d probably stick it in the vault and see what happens 

21 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

It’s a known bug that was mentioned in last weeks TWAB I think, not sure if they are going to fix it or remove it but I’d probably stick it in the vault and see what happens 

Yeah I dropped it too, you can infuse into it but it stops at 1100. Lee @GazzaGarratt says it's because it's needed for a triumph?

I stuck mine in the vault.

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ok. Thanks guys. 

I was excited then immediately disappointed. 😂 

Lol, yeah I think thats the only gun that does that cos one of the Seal's need you to complete the full collection of Dreaming City weapons and armour. That one used to be a bitch to drop from RNG. 

I keep accumulating loads of armour that I don't know is good, so starting going off the previous posts and going by overall stat and dismantling anything with a lower overall stat. I don't know if this is good or not but the sheer amount of items I get, post master gets full and I get really lost on what I should keep. I'm keeping all exotics for now.

Currently at 1280 light but feel like I never get good enough drops to increase that at the moment.  I think I'm nearing the end of the Beyond Light campaign, so there might be something good to come from that quest line. What should I be looking at doing now to get levelling? Any specific season / content / campaign equipment I should prioritise over others?

@Spacedeck At 1280, you need 'Powerful' engrams to get higher numbers, therefore look out for the yellow circles objectives on the map (see your map in the OP). They'll either be Powerful or one step above which is Pinnacle. Do those.

Right now, I still think you can throw away everything except:

Guns - any purple or yellow gun you like shooting.

Armour - any armour that has 65+ stats on it.

Until you get nearer 1300, just start getting an armour set you really like. You can change the look with transmog or ornaments. But if youre like me, I kept my fav looking armour that had 60+ stats on it - especially if Recovery and Resilience was above 15-20 each, if not higher.

I'm not at home but if I could get a pic of my armour I'd show you the stats to look out for mid to end game. Always about staying alive basically first imo.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:08 PM, Spacedeck said:

I keep accumulating loads of armour that I don't know is good, so starting going off the previous posts and going by overall stat and dismantling anything with a lower overall stat. I don't know if this is good or not but the sheer amount of items I get, post master gets full and I get really lost on what I should keep. I'm keeping all exotics for now.

Currently at 1280 light but feel like I never get good enough drops to increase that at the moment.  I think I'm nearing the end of the Beyond Light campaign, so there might be something good to come from that quest line. What should I be looking at doing now to get levelling? Any specific season / content / campaign equipment I should prioritise over others?

This might help, I used to keep loads of armour but with universal ornaments it's unnecessary.