Splitgate - FTP FPS Halo meets Portal

Greboth

Anyone else playing this? I missed the launch of it last month on console but downloaded it over the weekend and I'm loving it.

For those that don't know what it is then the title pretty much covers it.  It's a free to play 4v4 arena based FPS that very much resembles Halo; the standard armour is very Masterchief, teams are red v blue, the standard loadout is (typically) an auto rifle and a battle rifle with special weapons dotted around the map like snipers or a laser weapon (can't remember the name  but it's a spartan laser) or a baseball bat looking this that's a Gravity hammer.  Not to mention gamemodes like Oddball, SWAT and shotty snipers which have been ripped from Halo.  However it also comes with Portals, that work just like in Portal; fire 2 and you can (or anyone else) can go through them and to quote Portal, speedy thing goes in speedy thing comes out, which makes portal jumping across the map great fun.  You can also shoot through portals making giving them a tactical element to taking points in domination or king of the hill to just flanking enemies in TDM.

A good video review showing off some gameplay too;

Gamemodes available are;

Team Deathmatch — 4v4: Kill the enemy team to score points. The first team to 50 wins.

Free for all - 6 player free for all, first person to 25 kills wins.

King of the Hill — 4v4: Score points by standing inside the hill. The first team to 200 points wins.

Domination — 4v4: Score points by capturing and controlling the three hills. Once a hill is captured, you don’t need to stay inside of it. The first team to 600 points wins.

VIP — 4v4: Each team has a designated VIP. Kill the VIP to score points. The VIP cannot spawn portals, but they have double the health.

Team Oddball — 4v4: Grab the ball and run! Control the ball to score points. The player with the ball cannot shoot weapons, but they are free to go through portals and melee enemies to death with the Oddball. The first team to 200 points wins.

Team Swat — 4v4: Kill the enemy team to score points. Headshots are insta-kills.

Team Shotty Snipers — 4v4: Kill the enemy team to score points. The first team to 50 wins.

Gun Game — Free-for-All with Six Players: Kill enemies to advance your gun. Melee kill enemies to decrease their gun tier. Race to the final gun. The first person to get 22 kills with the mode’s 22 weapon tiers wins.

Showdown — 3v3: Eliminate the enemy team to win the round. Loadouts are randomized each round. No respawning. The first team to score 6 wins.

Takedown — 3v3: Eliminate the enemy team to win each round. Spawn times increase with each death. The first team to score 4 points wins.

When queuing you pick which games modes you want to play which I've only excluded FFA and it keeps it more interesting as you don't get bored stuck in one game mode.  The standout for me has been Takedown though, it's a twist on a competitive 3v3 mode but the added element of trying to hunt down the last player before the respawn timer counts down to spawn their team mates back or, on the other side, trying to hide so you team mates can come back is great.  From memory, the initial respawn time is 5 seconds but the more you die this extends up to 30 seconds so rounds are still over pretty quickly.

It's not all perfect though, the UI and menus are rubbish! Luckily as anything offered through buying the season pass or coins is purely cosmetic you don't really need to worry about navigating menu's too much.  I'm also not a fan of a couple of the maps (High fall and Olympus) as they're a little too cluttered with too many halls, walls and rooms to have a decent flow to them.  There also aren't very many maps (10 I think) so that does limit the game somewhat.

As a final note, and most of the reason I mention this game, it also has the option for private lobbies.  Private lobbies can be up to 5v5 and, from a quick look, be any of the team game modes above.  So if nothing else, could be something to try on an FG Friday as being free no-one can say they don't have it.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

It's been on PC for a couple of years now but it's grown in popularity lately probably because people are finally getting sick of the usual FPS tripe. Nice to see something else doing well and hopefully it will persist during the business time of the year. I'm a bit burned out on these games now so I'll likely not play it but it's certainly a good alternative outside of the usual uninspired franchises we see today. 

While it has seen a significant rise in PC players recently, I think some of the recent rise in popularity is last months launch on consoles.  Though as I understand it, the original PC release was different somehow and it got quite the update alongside the launch on consoles.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png