What's your favourite type of chocolate?

GazzaGarratt

What's your favourite type of chocolate?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So what's your favourite type of chocolate? Maybe share what bar or slab of chocolate you enjoy the most too.

I've loved White chocolate since i was a kid but milk is a very close second. Dark is always just too bitter for me, even though I still would have some if offered. The Crunch Bar was probably the best alongside when Cadbury's did the Dream bar. Obviously Milkybars were nice too.

Outside of White, it has to be a Double Decker. Not in the fridge though, you animals. I love the Nougat chewy chocolate with the biscuit inside.

Let me know if you want me to add more options to the poll!

If I was getting a bar of chocolate to share, it would be milk.  For myself it would be white, I can't stand dark chocolate. I think it started when I was younger and loved white magnums, ever since then it's always been white chocolate. Not that I eat chocolate very often anymore, unless it's on top of a biscuit.

So, imagine my surprise while I'm in the kitchen, prepping to make a batch of blondies, annoyed that I am out of chocolate chips that are over 70% and have to settle for 55% because I don't feel like hand chopping the 80% chocolate blocks, and I see this topic pop up in my notifications (initially, I wondered if it was spam...)

Since I'm waiting for my browned butter to cool before I make the blondies, I thought I would pop upstairs and form one of my sort-of-coherent posts.

So, we want to talk about chocolate, eh? Just the general percent stuff and not the disgusting mass-produced stuff, right? (Although, I will admit, the only mass-produced chocolate I like is Lindt because they somehow kept their flavor, texture, and quality after being merged with Ghirardelli and the trash that is Russell Stovers)

Let's get something straight (and I say this in the most friendly and not food snobby way possible), @GazzaGarratt and @Spacedeck ... White chocolate is not chocolate. It is the absence of chocolate. It is sugar, cocoa butter (which is a by-product from making all sort of other chocolate and cocoa things), milk stuff, and vanilla flavoring. You're basically saying you like vanilla lol. Which is something entirely different. And, if I were to make a vanilla ganache or vanilla anything else that involves something creamy, I would be reaching for "white chocolate".

Percent-wise, I prefer anything between 70% and 85%. Below that is too sweet to just snack on. 55% is probably the lowest I would go and that would be used in different applications that require the sweetness to balance out whatever else I just put it in.

Over 85% gets a bit too bitter and probably should be diluted in something/mixed into something else. For example, hot chocolate where you can add sugar accordingly.

Chocolate, itself, has an interesting history in that the way that we generally know it now as a sweet... was not always the case. It was a spice. And various cultures use it as such like Mexico in their mole sauce.

Chocolate being sweet was a result of Europeans taking the cacao back home and going "let's add some milk and sugar to it".. then chocolate as we know it was born. It's why Swiss and German chocolates are a thing, yet they don't have the climates to grow cacao.

Now, if we want to get into the food snobberiness that I come very very close to, there's even single origin chocolates. And, I can tell you now that I love chocolate too much to actually write down which single-origin chocolates I like over the others. They all have different flavor notes. Some more fruity. Some more bitter. Some that have a tannin-like feel in the mouth. It really just depends on what I have bought and have on hand at the moment to enjoy, that I enjoy.

As for what chocolate you will see me buying... it's going to be from an eco-friendly, fair trade company. Right now, I mostly buy Endangered Species chocolates because of what they do with their profits. I recognize that my love for chocolate and coffee can have a negative effect on the environment, and it fuels my anger towards the big producers, like Hershey's and Mars, because they produce shitty tasting chocolate and are destroying the world as they do it.

Bottom-line. I like dark. And, I like it over 70% lol. And, it better be actually good quality. 😄

I'd say that 70% is my sweet spot, no apologies for the pun.

Milk chocolate is cheaper to produce and the more milk the less I like, though I'm ok with all chocolate except when you start adding nuts and fruit to it. Heresy.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've always been partial to Milk Chocolate.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I enjoy various different types of chocolate, mostly milk or white. 

Dark chocolate isn't for me, but I will make a few exceptions. Jaffa cakes are alright and they use dark, also After Eights I will eat from time to time and they are dark as well. 

Favourite slab or go to? 

Lindt bars or truffles 

Galaxy Salted Caramel 

Maltesers 

Ferrero Rocher

I will eat most chocolate tho, just no fruit. Nuts are perfectly fine.

I don't discriminate between cheap and expensive. 

I think I’m starting to get back into milk chocolate, got given two of these the other day and fuck me they were incredible. 

WWW.HOTELCHOCOLAT.COM

Caramel chocolate bar swirled with 40% milk chocolate Hotel Chocolat

13 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

After Eights

These are incredible and i've never noticed they are dark chocolate as the mint in them is so good it probably doesn't make me think of it much.

30 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

These are incredible and i've never noticed they are dark chocolate as the mint in them is so good it probably doesn't make me think of it much.

Yeah that's what I mean, quite sneaky. They are good tho. Quite often when people bake brownies there is definitely dark and maybe a mix of milk choc. 

Like I said I just steer away from the blocks of dark as you stated previously, just taste real bitter and meh. 

Can't imagine anyone's favourite sweet is a dark chocolate bounty. I hate the normal ones and dark makes it less desirable. 🤢