Is Joining Destiny Now Too Late?

Spacedeck

While I used to love the original game and played it a lot, I didn't take much interest in D2, so my main question is in the title.  I'm downloading at the moment on Steam but I don't own / never owned any of the expansion packs for D2 and the last time I tried the game was in 2019.

How difficult is this to get back in to and what can a sort of new player expect?

From what I can see, there is like 15+ seasons! Whatever that means?

Where would one even start? Are the last few expansion packs required or can one just simply buy the latest due to be released, The Witch Queen?

Is this game cross-play, so I could play with PS4/5 users? joining the same clan?

Somewhat related, anyone tried the books? I'm tempted to buy "Destiny: Grimoire Anthology Vol I" and start reading on the lore, anyone bought them and what do you think of them?

I don't think it's too late, tbh. Because 1) I don't care about the lore, 2) I'm literally playing this to chit chat with people in FG, 3) @Tar-Eruntalion  joined last season.

I say, join in for the fun with FG.

Now that it's cross-play, we aren't divided between console and PC players here. Thus, I'm more comfortable now lol.

Join! Come have fun with us!

I'd say it's way too late in the day sadly. They've removed over 75% of the base game content which is not only crucial campaigns but it's the lore and foundation leaving only paid expansions left. It would be like starting a TV show on series 6. I think Bungie figured last year that if players hadn't jumped on board already then they never would which is why they 'vaulted' their vanilla stuff leaving only the expansions. I returned to Destiny briefly last year having played the game on Battlenet and then another 70 hours when it came to Steam and even I found it incredibly hard to jump back in despite completing every campaign and seeing everything the game had to offer. There's just so much bloat now that new players will feel extremely alienated and overwhelmed. 

If you don't own any of the paid stuff then you're gonna be lumbered with a very threadbare vanilla portion of the game too and any paid expansions will make little to no sense in lore terms. You could still have some fun just shooting things and doing what's available but Bungie removing the legacy stuff was a major disappointment even to veterans. I feel like I'm so far out of the loop and will probably never get back into it and it's not even been a year since I last ventured in it. Give it a go anyway but the best you can hope for is the short straw. 

I just got back into it after a long layoff and I’m enjoying myself. I quit playing after the forsaken expansion. 

I did buy the newest expansion to get the new class abilities and play through that content. It’s a fun game to play and you can try it for free for a bit before you decide to take the plunge on payed content. 

I believe it’s crossplay enabled but I don’t know much about it being just on PlayStation. 

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

While I used to love the original game and played it a lot, I didn't take much interest in D2, so my main question is in the title.  I'm downloading at the moment on Steam but I don't own / never owned any of the expansion packs for D2 and the last time I tried the game was in 2019.

How difficult is this to get back in to and what can a sort of new player expect?

From what I can see, there is like 15+ seasons! Whatever that means?

Where would one even start? Are the last few expansion packs required or can one just simply buy the latest due to be released, The Witch Queen?

Is this game cross-play, so I could play with PS4/5 users? joining the same clan?

Somewhat related, anyone tried the books? I'm tempted to buy "Destiny: Grimoire Anthology Vol I" and start reading on the lore, anyone bought them and what do you think of them?

Abso-fucking-lutely, I'm enjoying it again. It got a bit overwhelming at one point due to how many quests n shit there was which is why I lost interest, but they've streamlined it a lot now and it's a lot more fun and accessible. I want to log in and shoot stuff, not log in and spend sixteen hours figuring out how to get anywhere. Ignore the seasons, it's just Bungie's way of begging for money. 

Buy the latest DLC and that's all there it so to. See you on the battlefield Guardian 😄 

banlol.png

Let's see where to start ill try awnsering this to the best without going down a rabbit hole. Yes Destiny 2 is a great game for someone to start or to get into. There are so many reasons I could list on why you should play but im sure you have heard. The game has come a long way and I think starting out is easier then ever before but if you have small guidance because the game can feel overwhelming without even any paid content.

So let's get into the nitty gritty of it. There will always be options and choices for new players to jump into activities or different game modes in this game, people say the game is dying or its dead but its not. I have been gone since after beyond light and ill go into the after effects of why but as a new player if you have people to play with then life will be so much easier in the game. Understanding the classes the weapons the perks the loadouts and stuff will come in time so don't worry about that stuff just enjoy the strikes the campaign that's free then have someone take you on a strike and show you what the characters and weapons are really like and you'll be sucked in.

Now for the part that I think is super toxic about this game. Bungie bungie bungie is very poor at listening to there community also very slow at adding in new content or fixing certain issues the game contains. What I have learned if it gets to point where your not feeling it dont force it let it go destiny 2 can be very very very addicting especially with friends chasing the loot the weapons the hole 9 yards doing harder activities like raids and hard missions like grandmasters.

So down to why I left and came back. I started what over a year ago if not longer now I don't remember I put almost a year into the game of grind love sweat and tears into it and it got stale they were not doing anything to my liking and having stale droughts of no new content that I didn't feel was like in the right direction. Now 3 seasons latter in the game its still not perfect its still the same game just made new changes of life bonus and just making the game less of what I call toxic or more community friendly. I switched to pc and wasn't able to play with my friends anymore on there so I used it as an excuse to step away and play other things but now crossplay is enabled I have actually spoke to friends I have talked to in months and it's so nice.

So here's the thing if you wanna play destiny and you enjoy what your seeing in the first 4 to 8 hours of gameplay give it a chance play with friends go on mission earn rewards and ask questions cuz im sure there are multiple lifers here that will be able to give you the knowledge the know how and the techniques you need to keep going. So flat out awnser is yes play the game only thing I can say is don't let it consume you or let it ruin your mental health because of the bad toxic ways of bungies at times if you want anymore info or why you should play the game I'd be more down to be actually going into full blown details of what the game is all about.

Edited by GazzaGarratt
added spaces so we could read it easier! :)

i started during the beginning of season 14 as @RenFengge said, if you care about lore the campaign etc then it's too late cause i have no idea what's going on, if you care about the gameplay and the clan stuff then join because it's better than ever

Thanks everyone, I had a dabble this evening.  First thoughts is damn it still looks incredible and plays surprisingly well on my aging GPU.  While I didn't get the storyline just yet, I recognised certain aspects of characters / enemies which was nice to see again.  I'll attempt to play this in moderation so it doesn't get boring, also because kids are a time sinker 😅. I have no clue on good gear though and how to obtain them, someplace other than raids would be preferable. Good place for resources?

Game feels very accessible now. In D1, I only ever completed the first raid they released and I also remember Exotics was hard to come by! You'd have to meet that guy in the tunnel to get them and he only appeared at certain times. Now they are being given away.

Purchased the Legendary Edition and joined the clan.

Also bought that book, just waiting for Waterstones to deliver to store so I can go collect.

This has been a great thread. I need to do a breakdown for future updates and how much it costs so it will help you and others decide what to do.

I would've also said its never too late because of how they've made the game now. I think they know players (the vast majority which are core to casual) dont want to just play this exclusively so they give enough content each week available to play so a few times a week feels absolutely perfect now. You can play even more but then thats down to what you want to achieve.

They are finally reaping rewards of moving to a better underlying code so changes and hotcakes can happen much quicker.

The story needs a better way for people like yourself to understand the past better but once you get up to speed the story is actually the best its ever been. I have the books (they are awesome) - its the only books I read but it isn't like a story as there are many facts and cryptic elements in it that make things a little difficult to visualise it all. I'll find the best video from MyNameIsByf about the backstop on Destiny.

The grind was one of the things stopping everyone play this. Now they've tinkered the levelling and made all seasons available for at least a year rather than just that season means you can play for however much you want, which in turn you see more people on all the time.

Finally, crossplay should really mean we can finally all truly help each other.

I don't think there's even been a better time to either start or cone back to the game. The combination of the game's state, upcoming content known for the next 3+years and the way that FG people are helping out everyone now, its the best its ever been.

@GazzaGarratt I noticed another comment on Reddit mentioning his name, so I went off to find it.  It's pretty long at 4 hours but seems extensive in information.  I'll link the video below for any other potential new starters looking at getting up to date.

The quest line is confusing as hell. I don't know whether I've completed the quest line for Forsaken or not, I feel like I have but it doesn't give any indication for if it's actually complete... I still see 3 of them symbols on the Dreaming City though, but I can't see any quests there start.

Damn, ya’ll need some D2 loving. And I’m here to give it to ya. What’s not to like??

you have normal run of the mill casual stuff like Gambit, strikes, planetary stuff to do. If you like getting your arse kicked in PvP then there’s some crucible. 

3 class of characters all with their own subclasses and individual abilities depending on your play style. 
Some weapons are good, some are shit, it also depends on your play style, whether your an offensive player or defensive player. 
There’s some good hard stuff you can run that’s 3man ie the dungeons. These are like mini 3man raids with little mechanics to them. They’re only hard if you’re on your own otherwise they’re pretty enjoyable. 
Then there’s the creme de la creme content, the hardcore, the endgame pinnacle activities like Grand master and master VOG. Don’t be fooled tho, they’re not for the faint hearted. If you’re a player that likes to run into a room over populated with enemies and melt them with an smg then I think you’ve been watching too much Gladd etc. 😂

There’s plenty of quest lines you can do for certain weapons. I’m not sure what it’s like to buy the weapons now after the big sunsetting of y1 stuff. Others. Can answer that. 

Either way there’s something for everyone. 

Im just a casual player that does the easy stuff tho. 🤷‍♂️😎

On 8/28/2021 at 12:21 AM, Spacedeck said:

Thanks everyone, I had a dabble this evening.  First thoughts is damn it still looks incredible and plays surprisingly well on my aging GPU.  While I didn't get the storyline just yet, I recognised certain aspects of characters / enemies which was nice to see again.  I'll attempt to play this in moderation so it doesn't get boring, also because kids are a time sinker 😅. I have no clue on good gear though and how to obtain them, someplace other than raids would be preferable. 

Once you get to around 1300 come join one of the regular raids we have running. Legend level VoG might take and hour and a half say (on a bad day) but we've got a decent raid group and we always know the job for the Newbie ! You dont have to be hardcore at all to do legend VoG. 

There's plenty of ways to enjoy destiny, you can anything from super casual to super hardcore. I find it works best if you have a goal in mind - such as a seasonal title which are usually not too hard to complete. Also if you're looking for gear recommendations , just knowing what to shard and what to keep can be tough. Of all the legendry weapons in the game, i would if you get a Falling Guillotine sword, keep it !