Genres You Don't Play Anymore?

Is there any genres you used to play either when you were younger or in recent times but just don't anymore? I was thinking the other day about some and the reasons why. Here's a notable few:-

Strategy/Management games

I used to love these when I was growing up - games like Championship Manger, Age of Empires, Total War and Civilization. They were huge time-sinks and highly engrossing but in recent years I've struggled to get into this genre either due to time constraints or just not having the energy to work through a grand campaign. These games also require a lot of brain power and I feel to exhausted and overwhelmed at the prospect of playing a game of this nature. 

Arena Shooters

Loved the likes of Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 growing up but the genre itself has faded massively in the last 15 years and so has my interest. Mainstream titles like COD offered so much more for small team games and then you have grand shooters like Battlefield which offer a massive MP experience. 

Sports Titles

This genre has been captured entirely by scummy AAA companies who can afford the licences which is a huge part of these games. Although these publishers have always played a part in the big names, it's their greedy practices that have turned me off enjoying the products to their full potential plus laziness with non-monetised aspects such as career mode in FIFA has been a real killer. I do tend to pick up one or two of these games each year now but I never pay full price and I barely dedicate any significant time to them. The way FIFA and PES eFootball is going, I may not be buying any games in this genre anytime soon. 

There's probably a few more but those are the ones off the top of my head. I think open world games will be another one that I overlook going forward - the game would have to be an absolute masterpiece like The Witcher, God of War or Red Dead Redemption for me to consider playing. I feel this is a heavily saturated genre that to me feels repetitive and tiresome. I do think game design is the big problem at its core rather than the genre itself but a game would have to be truly special for me to consider playing 35+ hours on. Oh and battle royale games can sod off once and for all. 

I still play pretty much all the genres I used to, just now some more than others. I used to always play FPS and sports games, most of the time online.   Now I'm more drawn to genres like simulation and strategy. 

The biggest change I've had is I simply just don't play multiplayer, I might have the odd times when I'll venture online but 90% of my time is now playing single player games.

1 hour ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I used to absolutely love FPS games.  I think I've burnt myself out on them for the most part.  Specifically competitive type shooters like Call of Duty.  I just can't get into them anymore.  

I'm definitely completely burnt out on deathmatch-type games now. I don't feel games like core COD have anywhere to go now with their peak of innovation and popularity already long-passed. This has also been echoed in its decline in the last decade - even with better tech and timescales, they never could reach the heights seen in the golden age from COD 4 to BO2.

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

Now I'm more drawn to genres like simulation and strategy. 

The biggest change I've had is I simply just don't play multiplayer, I might have the odd times when I'll venture online but 90% of my time is now playing single player games.

I really like sim games now as they are very relaxing and have come on considerably in the last decade. I don't like the current culture of MP games with skins, battle passes and microtransactions so I'm happy to be out of it. It's all very sweaty now. Battlefield 2042 will probably be the next and only MP game I play as it's never been a series to rip gamers off or be too childish but most multiplayer experiences now are just not much fun. 

I've actually always really just played FPS games and a couple of driving games, I've tried in the past to diversify but always come back to cod, destiny, battlefield. However now I have a pc, I will and have tried some more sim type games and valheim. 

I don't think there is any particular genre I'd dump for good if I found them enjoyable.