Minecraft FG Realm Cross Platform Server - for all of FG

Greboth

With the announcement of the Minecraft better together update which supports cross play we've chatted about having an FG server.  Last time though we never pulled the trigger as it still hadn't been rolled out to all platforms.  Chatting to Matty @Misneach_ the other day about quite enjoying playing on a vanilla server, he checked and the better together is now across all platforms.  So PC, PS4/5. Xbox's, Switch, phones and tablets alike can all play together on the same server and with discord available for free, it's easy to all chat together too.

What is Minecraft?

I think most people know of the game but having had a few conversations with FG'ers not everyone knows the game.  In short, Minecraft is an open world sandbox game with the aim to traverse and survive the 3 dimensions and ultimately kill the 2 bosses, the Wither and Ender Dragon.  Along the way you can take the short route, the long, manually mine and harvest resources or set up automatic farms, build, trade, fight - it's up to you.

How to join;

If you're on console or mobile device, the version you download will be the correct version.

For PC, you will need to make you download the version which in most places it is referred to as the "Windows 10 version" (if you want to cross play do NOT get the java edition).  If you're new to MC on the PC then you will need to buy it however, if you had an old java account you could, and maybe still can, claim a free Windows 10 copy.

Actually joining the server, you will need an invite, however Matt has set the server up as friends of friends, so one of us already on the server should be able to chuck an invite your way if you want to join.  We just need your Microsoft account name to send you a friends request and invite.

I'm sure there's something important I'm missing but any questions just ask and I'll update this post to include the Q&A's.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

The server has been up for about a week already so we've made a start on setting up a base.

We've set up on a Savanna plain for now and this is where you'll spawn in as a new player.  Early game it's hard to have enough resources to set up big farms so we have a small crop farm, a small automatic melon and pumpkin farm as well as a kelp farm (which can be used as fuel in furnaces)  We've also captured and started breeding some animals as needed the food as well as the wool for beds and leather for books.

Village.thumb.jpg.b7d8100959b9b05646e3a2edfaa814bd.jpg

Matt has set up an automatically storage room for the most common items in the game.  This just requires dumping everything in a single chest and it will get put in the correct chests.  With more chests down the stairs and the potential for some bulk storage to be added in the future.

storage.thumb.jpg.862b1c884e0827acac6da6d83ee2a783.jpg

The red and gold rails on the right hand side of the above picture, is a small furnace array.  It's only made up of 8 furnaces but put your items in the top minecart and the fuel in the bottom, flick the lever and your items will get evenly distributed amongst the furnaces, smelted and returned to the bottom chest.  Effectively this means smelting this 8x faster and great when you need to smelt hundreds of one item.

Smeltery.thumb.jpg.b9b308d26db85d7a01234b993f3fb7a3.jpg

We also have an afk'able mob farm just off shorte that was only finished last night.  Mobs in MC give you several important things so it's useful to have an automatic way to harvest these drops.  Due to lack of resources,the farm is quite small but ultimately will be 4x the size of what you see here.

6389144_MobFarm.thumb.jpg.eefb07621603168b077b1b26436a0471.jpg

And of course, the drops from the mob farm are automatically sorted too 😄

693704037_MobFarmstorage.thumb.jpg.bcddb14599a5af1c20456215c337be3a.jpg

Plenty more still to do but this is a good start 🙂

image.png

5 minutes ago, slamminbones said:

As one of my kids borrows my gta 5 disk guess they can return the favour with minecraft. 

If one is on pc the other on ps4 would they need to chat via a different device to use discord? 

A quick Google suggests there are third party methods for have 2 discord accounts on one PC.  However I've no experience with any of them to recommend any so this would be at your own risk and your mileage may vary.

Given how easy it is to use Discord on a mobile device, the easiest way (and potentially safest) would be the PC user logs in on the PC and the PS4 user joins using a phone.

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

@Grebothdoes it have a mine yet? (begins stretching exercises)

Of course there is, pretty much smack bang in the middle of the first screenshot.  Go down the stairs then drop down the hole.  To come back up just walk in to the water.

Well, doesn't look like this will be happening any time soon!

Log into Windows account, select trial version.....you don't have any devices linked to your account..click here

select add a different device as I haven't got an Xbox and become enmeshed in a cycle of MS Despair off cyclical button pressing

Unless anyone has any bright ideas, I'll continue living in Javaland

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 8/11/2021 at 2:48 PM, Plumbers Crack said:

Well, doesn't look like this will be happening any time soon!

Log into Windows account, select trial version.....you don't have any devices linked to your account..click here

select add a different device as I haven't got an Xbox and become enmeshed in a cycle of MS Despair off cyclical button pressing

Unless anyone has any bright ideas, I'll continue living in Javaland

This makes no sense to me but the fact it only needs Vanilla is insane that you can't get on. @Greboth @Misneach_  any ideas?

Also, Tommy @BO7H B4RRELS  get your shiny ass in here. You have no excuse now!

and @Spacedeck , I'm sure we can figure something out to work together on!

57 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

This makes no sense to me but the fact it only needs Vanilla is insane that you can't get on. @Greboth @Misneach_  any ideas?

I was chatting to Dave about it the other day but sadly no, we couldn't figure out what was wrong.

There several threads about the same thing on the Windows help but none of them actually contain solutions, just lots of people moaning about the same issue.  I did find a page that had a few steps to fix it (make sure windows is up to date, reset the store, verify computer etc.) and none of them worked.  It doesn't make any sense to me that if Dave is logged in to his MS account in Windows, on the store and his PC is linked; why does it error saying no devices linked.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Also, Tommy @BO7H B4RRELS  get your shiny ass in here. You have no excuse now!

Ha! Sounds good.  I haven't played Minecraft in a bit.  I've been hooked on Elder Scrolls and League of Legends lately.  I'm definitely due for some Minecraft.  👍

I've had my account for yeeeears, so I'm sure it's the old Java version.  I hope I don't run into any issues trying to switch over!

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

A small update on the server, the mob farm has been expanded to now also include an iron farm with a small sugar cane farm.  The sugar cane farm probably is a little too small currently so will be expanded in the future if we need it.  The mob/iron/sugar cane farm has been linked through the nether too and the portal can be found at East -7.  I'll be bringing the stuff back for the main storage room but for now all the drops can be found at the farm.

228187057_IronFarm.thumb.jpg.4c5d6d8cc83384e10b61ef871c807391.jpg

On the subject of storage, the storage room above is no more and it has been replaced by a much bigger version.  The new version features 2 double chests for 64 sortable items currently set to iron, gold, redstone, copper etc. and bulk storage of 12 double chests for the common items like cobblestone, stone, andesite, granite etc.  All chests are marked by the block in the floor or ceiling with items that don't have a block form marked with an item frame.  There's still 10 slots not assigned so if you think of anything that isn't assigned, let me know and I can set the filter.  Currently any items that aren't filtered just go to the chests above this room which is accessible using the water column in the middle of the room.

1138188603_Storageroomserver.thumb.jpg.970706a517b68b9aac87abd1e834e3d7.jpg#

Upstairs is a bit bare currently though ultimately will feature overflow storage for the auto-filtered room as well as manually sorted chests for those things we won't have a lot of i.e a redstone chest that will contain comparitors, repeaters, observers, droppers etc. basically stuff linked by a common thread but that we won't have bulk numbers of them.  If there's room too, I'll be adding a super smelter too as as they're always useful.  Giving the size of the building, I'm hoping for a 16 furnace version but we shall see how things pan out.

And yes, the storage room is an eye sore currently as I've built the inside first as that's the practical part.  I know how I shall be decorating the outside but I just need to gather enough blocks first then it will be made pretty......well prettier at least.

I honestly thought I knew how to play Minecraft vanilla, until I saw these photos! LOL. Hi guys! It's been ages! Sorry I've been away, but life dragged me to something else. I'm now realising that I'm a bit of a drifter! Like a thing you've lost and pops up when you forgot about it already. LMAO. Have you got any more space to include me to your MOD looking Vanilla Minecraft world? 

Welcome back Anna @craftofboredom  Great to see you back.  It’s annoying when life gets in the way but hope it’s treating you well.

Of course you’re welcome though, once an FG’er always an FG’er.  I assume you’ll be on PC? so you can download the windows 10 version of Minecraft and click the invite link Misneach posted above.

Let us know when you’re hoping on and I’ll give you the tour 🙂 

Update time 🙂

Matt continues to work on his castle is (currently) the biggest build in the little FG village.

2089559339_MattsHouse.thumb.jpg.4679a0798f79a2824a8159621fa491aa.jpg

Though Mike has started outlining a build on top of the hill next door.  I think he said with the intention of maybe joining it in to Matt's castle which would make it a pretty big build.

415289594_MikesOutline.thumb.jpg.e7ca09896a5db00d5c218c511d998beb.jpg

While the house on the hill which, I think, was built by James and Lee has also gained an extension of a tower.

1825167451_Houseonthehill.thumb.jpg.735f6d6a1db25d824a7d4afccd95e2cd.jpg

Jordie has decided to move a bit closer than his first base so has moored his Dreamboat on the river at the foot of Mike's work in progress

1183755840_JordieBoat.thumb.jpg.26f57f009335740f728d61630336b35a.jpg

The storage room has finally got an outside too, I decided to go with something that leaves no doubt as to what the building is for 😄

2087959589_Storageroom.thumb.jpg.6712174c0e1635897a100297817a8bc1.jpg

And lastly we've also gained a villager trading hall next door to the storage

20013981_TradingHall.thumb.jpg.6fe6ae5f537a2d8e052f43cb931d8abb.jpg

Currently it has 8 prisoners...I mean volunteers in captivity, 4 farmers to trade crops for emeralds one each for wheat, beetroot, potatoes and carrots.  Though they all do melons and pumpkins which is the easiest as they're both can be farmed automatically.  I've done some trading so we're starting to build up a supply of emeralds in the storage room.   The other 4 are enchanted books and the sign above their heads tells you what each sells.  I've also traded with them and left a supply of each book in the chests above their heads.

Each villager has been zombified and cured so should be offering most things at a rate of 1 emerald.  If the figure is higher it's because they've been traded with recently and if you wait a day or 2 in game their prices should come back down.

Trades.thumb.jpg.c28d3b03185ba66c394b263b3cc8bac7.jpg

Currently have trades for;

Mending (armour and tools get repaired as you gain XP)

Impaling 4 (I think there's an impaling 5 but two impaling 4 books can be combined should anyone want this)

Looting 3 (Gives you better / more loot when killing passive or hostile mobs)

Aqua Affinity (goes on your helmet and allows you mine faster under water)

Fire Protection 4 (exactly what it says on the tin, protects you from fire so you take less damage if you're set on fire.  Best combined with Protection, Blast Protection and Projectile Protection but we don't have them yet)

Infinity (goes on your bow and means you only need 1 arrow in your inventory to fire an infinite number of arrows)

On the list still to get;

Unbreaking 3 (tools and armour wear out slower)

Efficiency 5 (tools mine quicker)

Fortune 3 (get more drops when mining ores)

Silk Touch (get the block you mine, stone won't turn in to cobblestone etc. and you can also mine glass and other breakable blocks)

Sharpness (goes on sword or axe and increases damage)

Protection (goes on your armour and does exactly what it says)

Blast Protection (goes on your armour and does exactly what it says)

Projective Protection (goes on your armour and also does what it says)

Feather Falling (you can fall further without losing health or lose less health if you fall a long way)

Respiration (Stay under water longer)

Depth Strider (Move faster in water)

Smite 5 (goes on your sword or axe and does extra damager to undead mobs; zombies, skeletons, drowned, wither skeletons and the wither boss)

Knockback (goes on your sword and maybe your axe but knocks enemies back when you hit them - great for creepers as it can knock them out of exploding range)

Fire Aspect (goes on your weapons and sets mobs on fire when you hit them)

Flame (same as fire aspect above but for your bow)

Power (goes on your bow and increases arrow damage)

By my count that is 21 enchants so with 4 farmers, we will have 25 villagers.  So while I think I've covered the important enchants, we have 7 slots spare if there's any you want that I have missed.  Any spare slots at the end, I'll probably fill with tool/weapon smiths to save us always having use diamonds to make tools and weapons.

Balls, had I seen this earlier I'd have used my monthly game allowance to buy this instead of Density 😞 

Might be able to dig out an old account, I go through this every time I want to play.

banlol.png

12 hours ago, Diddums said:

Balls, had I seen this earlier I'd have used my monthly game allowance to buy this instead of Density 😞 

Might be able to dig out an old account, I go through this every time I want to play.

£22.99 I believe because if, like me,you didn’t take advantage of their free offer by this April, you have to pay for it. In fairness, I think they let the offer over run by quite a long time 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

8 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

£22.99 I believe because if, like me,you didn’t take advantage of their free offer by this April, you have to pay for it. In fairness, I think they let the offer over run by quite a long time 

Dave this is purely down to me being an idiot, I think I've bought MC about 300 times before but always lose the credentials and it's a fuckup to get it unlocked again which I'm sure definitely isn't done on purpose no sir would you like to buy a new copy sir please. 

banlol.png