Tips for new PS5 owners

phil bottle

So, by now a good few people have PS5s, and even Xbox owners too.

Do you have any "I wish I'd known this" or "I just found out that" tips or notes for other FGers or new or soon to be new console owners? 

Any gremlins? Any life hacks?

If so, drop em below 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

NEVER use stand by mode.  A lot of people said as much when it first released due to an issue with the hardware or the firmware.  One of the two.  I’m also not too sure if it’s an issue that has been patched yet if it’s firmware related.  I always power mine right off.  For a machine this expensive, I’m not fucking around. 🤘🏻  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

Not in any order tips - and I completely agree with the NEVER to use standby option. It messes up with WiFi connections too when switched back on.

Buy an external hard drive if you don't already - you store all your PS4 games on that and leave the few PS5 games you play on the internal. I'm not even looking at the SSD ones they will be compatible with soon as the prices are ridiculous. Unfortunately the internal storage is still far too small for days like these.

Search the store for free PS5 upgrades - Mainly, the only way to see if a game you own and is installed as a free upgrade is via the store. Games like Destiny 2, Rainbow 6 and Valhalla have free upgrades - the full current list is here >> PS5 upgrades.  The upgrades help visually but I think they are way worth it more for loading times more than anything else. Oh, and the Haptic Feedback in the controller too if it has that upgrade included!

Recording voice chat for everyone - theres more places annoyingly you can mute yourself by accident on recordings or just in chat. Be careful on the controller as the small button that mutes your voice is easily pressed and superceds your own mic mute. Check settings to ensure voice is shared and also check when in a party that your voice is set to Always Allow on sharing. We miss so many funny moments cos we can't hear everyones voices.

Saving screenshots and videos is now a couple of clicks - its very slick but a subtle change is being quick with the share button on teh controller and selecting then what you want to do. You can on teh fly save a 'quick video' and it offers to save last 30 seconds, 5 mins, 15 mins and so on rather than the last video which is as standard set to 60 mins.

Favourite all your 'parties' - Especially all the FG ones! The friends screen defaults to parties and its quicker to see if someone is on mic in one. You can also now slice and dice what you mute....hence now no need to leave a party if you find people are sending messages into a huge party that has loads of us in!

Inviting/Join people to games is done via party menu - Press PS button brings up the card view. You can then press on the names and invite to game straight via that way - and joinign can be quick that way too.

Auto updates to games works better....for recent games - All the games you've recently played (left to right on the main menu) should auto check for updates every time you turn on the PS5. If you need a game updated from your library that has dropped off the recent list, i'd always suggest clicking Options and checking for Game Updates. Better than PS4 but sometimes can be a pain still but thats the world we live in now.

Checking you open the right Game version - If you have the PS4 and PS5 version installed, before you start the game, press the Option button and 'Check Game Version'. Whichever is ticked will be the default one that opens for you every time. 

Some upgrades don't need teh disc to be in anymore! - Destiny 2 and Wreckfest PS5 versions don't need the disc to be in which is pretty decent tbh!

If theres more i'll come back and share!

51 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Buy an external hard drive if you don't already - you store all your PS4 games on that and leave the few PS5 games you play on the internal. I'm not even looking at the SSD ones they will be compatible with soon as the prices are ridiculous. Unfortunately the internal storage is still far too small for days like these.

Linus Tech Tips...always worth a watch 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

26 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Linus Tech Tips...always worth a watch 

This is a great help to know its really easy for the future - but i'd still stick to my opinion for now, mainly down to cost alone.

A Seagate 4TB external hard drive (sponsored by PlayStation) is £75, whereas a 4TB SSD is £500. Yes, £500. Even if you want just a small upgrade like 1TB, that still would cost £150 whereas the cheapest external 1TB you can get to work with a playstation is £38.

Until the market is saturated with many AAA PS5 games, I'm really not sure it is needed yet. We need to get to the stage where SSD is available for less than 3 figures before using methinks.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:23 PM, phil bottle said:

The party system is shite, the worst I have ever encountered.

The UI itself is pretty poor IMO and doesn't make a lot of things clear or easy. Particularly around game versions. 

I really don't like the UI. I hate that pressing the PS button now brings up the quick menu and holding it takes you to your dashboard. That's completely opposite what it did on PS4. Yes I know: first world problems and all that.

fart.gif

On 8/25/2021 at 12:22 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Be careful on the controller as the small button that mutes your voice is easily pressed and superceds your own mic mute.

On that note, I didn’t realise for a while that a long press on the mute button mutes everyone in the chat. 

1 hour ago, MrBiron said:

I really don't like the UI. I hate that pressing the PS button now brings up the quick menu and holding it takes you to your dashboard. That's completely opposite what it did on PS4. Yes I know: first world problems and all that.

Interesting, I prefer the PS5 way of doing things especially in that quick menu does cover up half the screen you can still see the game you’re in.  It just seems more intuitive to me that a quick press is the quick menu, long press is the full menu.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

4 hours ago, MrBiron said:

I miss how on the PS4 you could press the PS button and easily close an app. Now you have to do the same but go through the bloody quick menu that's actually slower! 60% of the interface could probably be removed or condensed on the PS5 and it beggars belief how both Sony and MIcrosoft can't get this aspect right. I think both are using deliberate bloat to make it look like there is more features and depth to the machines when all in all, the functionality is the same as it's been for the last generation.