Pokémon UNITE

Pokémon UNITE is a free-to-play, multiplayer online battle arena video game developed by TiMi Studio Group and published by The Pokémon Company for Android and iOS, and by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch. In summation it's Heroes of The Storm mixed with Destiny 2's Gambit game mode.

Pros

• Game is well optimized for the Switch while Docked.
  • Matches take between 5-10 minutes.
  • Matchmaking appears to be fair and enjoyable.
  • This MOBA is really well designed with a controller in mind, with customization options for aim assist, lock on, etc.
  • Character's are for the most parts balanced, with only 2 or 3 right now incredibly strong; you can win with anyone.

Cons

• FPS drops while Switch is in handheld mode, you can lock to 30 FPS to avoid this however.
  • Battle items directly effect stats, and you upgrade your battle items by using 'Item Enhancers'. The issue is you can buy these item enhancers with real money, which I consider a pay 2 win feature. 
    • However, this is fairly offset by the general ease of acquiring "Tickets" to buy 'Item Enhancers". For example I am Free 2 Play and have 6 items between level 15-20. 
  • Communication is very limited for a MOBA. There is a chat wheel with things like, "I'm going to the top area, I'm going to the center area, I'm going to the bottom area" but it lacks some important messages that revolve around objectives.  
  • Zapdos, this game's version of Baron in League of Legends will decide the game 100% of the time. If you are losing and kill Zapdos you will win, and vice versa. There is zero counter play and this is a problem.
  • 2,000 free currency cap per week. This is bullshit...
  • Characters are expensive. 6,000 to 10,000 free currency.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game and have ran into one whale in 100 games so far. I'm pretty high on the rankings at Expert 3. The paying directly for Item Enhancers is bullshit, however the price is high enough that only whales will be attracted to it- after a month or two of the game the general population will even out with items. You won't see whales at lower to middle ranks, and if you're shitty the items can't carry you.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

On 7/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, The3rdWalker said:
  • 2,000 free currency cap per week. This is bullshit...
  • Characters are expensive. 6,000 to 10,000 free currency.

How close is this to Pay to Win? Sounds like boosts are available to get into the game quickly, which is what they want. Is there many characters to obtain?

Might check it out for the Switch for a quick game when we go on hols if its free.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

54 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

How close is this to Pay to Win? Sounds like boosts are available to get into the game quickly, which is what they want. Is there many characters to obtain?

Might check it out for the Switch for a quick game when we go on hols if its free.

So the pay to win thing is touchy, a friend of mine has done extensive research to show that the item increase from level 20 to level 30 is so minimal you're better off saving your item enhancers and leaving the battle item at level 20. Realistically you can pay real money to increase the stats of an item that can affect your performance, so textbook "pay to win." However, to get 3-4 level 20 items can be done in about 2 weeks time as a free to play so... it's more of speed to accelerate the process? In a month everyone will be on even playing field, and new players will obviously be at a disadvantage but that's no different from any video game.

• It is almost exactly comparable to League of Legend's rune system in the early days of LoL.
  • Technically, the battle items can be considered pay to win.
  • After seeing them in application I can confidently say a person with level 20 items can get destroyed by someone with level 1 items. I consider it pay to progress faster. 
  • Still a shit practice that I don't condone. 

How many characters?

• 21 right now, and 3 more are planned to be released. Think of it similar to how League of Legends releases new characters. Nothing new, or landscape defining there.

image.png.2a3e21fb06f43082b9ee11ad62052c0c.png

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD