Blizzard Lawsuit

Sounds pretty grim although I'd take things with a pinch of salt as it's a state submission from California 

_119533638_hi067142495.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

One of the world's largest gaming companies is accused of endemic discrimination and harassment.

The gamer in me is a bit sad about the state of the industry, but I've been sad about it for a long while.

The rest of me who has gone through almost 5 years of this to some degree while at a certain employer in different "frat boy industry", who spoke to the press under anonymity out of fear of retaliation (I was not the original leak who got the ball rolling), who commiserated with others as news broke out in the WSJ, NY Times, and industry-specific news, who lined up lawyers in case the lawsuits started to come in, who worried about potential career and livelihood consequences... The rest of me is sitting back with some popcorn to see it all burn down.

f8d73c63862f82be3c47e47e8bc0be67.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

Developers and industry advocates grapple with realities of widespread discrimination

FR4O5150XDON1515612314495.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Women at the company described a ‘pervasive frat boy culture’

9yV2fsiqhvoUbqN6oWDUY8-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Over 20 current employees, including lead World of Warcraft devs, are speaking out against their company.

• J4MES OX4D changed the title to Blizzard Lawsuit

Here is an excellent video from over a year ago outlining Blizzard’s controversies and overall decline prior to this. It’s actually quite astonishing to see it all laid out and how horrific their PR hasn’t been. 

If this case persists and is the allegations found against them, I don’t think they’ll ever recover.

I'm always a bit dubious of statements such as the leadership is exclusively male and white.  While no doubt a true fact, given the experience required to get to executive level (which is what I'm presuming they mean by 'leadership') then I imagine you can struggle to find someone who isn't white and male as that's who has the requisite experience because that's how the company was hiring 30-40 years ago. 

However that aside as it's far from the biggest issue raised for Activision Blizzard in this report.  The industry does seem to going from one negative to another recently (loot box gambling, crunches and working conditions and now this) I do wonder if it will require a company the size of Activision Blizzard folding to actually bring about a change in what, as times goes on, seems to be a more and more toxic industry to work in.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

It's hard for me to engage in these discussions as this goes on in all industries and always has. Don't know why people are surprised, I really don't. It's always going to be like that when you have people with economic power over other people. Human beings can't handle power and so we see exploitation and abuse as a result. I'm sure we don't know half of what goes on.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Wait, what? You're telling me that an industry stuffed to the gills with nerds who spent their formative years coding until 3am every night is full of people who have zero social skills? Unbelievable!

Being serious however, this shit needs stamping out and it needs stamping out now. Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly oldschool and will happily compliment a lady if she looks good or whatever (and if people are offended by that then they can take it to twitter), but the stuff I'm reading in this case amounts to nothing more than a bunch of blokes who have never seemingly interacted with women and sort of got stuck in puberty and never grew up. Not a month goes by where we don't hear about these things from some gaming company or another and the worst part is, management are either the same people, or just don't give a shit. 

For me personally, Blizzard died in 2008 when Activision bought them. That was the begin of the decline, and over the years Activision have royally fucked over the games I enjoyed so much with their bullshit microtransactions and other milk-the-customer antics. Given the hatred for Activision and their inability or unwillingness to change their public image, this is no surprise at all, and I seriously, seriously hope that they face everything that's coming their way.

Also that bitch who said "lol activision great company LOL, no problems 4 me" was a fucking executive, of course the little frat boy minions weren't gonna fuck with you, you disconnected-from-reality, hypocritical, odious cretin. 

Josh Strife Hayes did a pretty good vid if you haven't seen it already. 

I'd already cancelled my WoW sub, but pretend I've still got it and I'm cancelling it now to prove a point. Ktnx. 

banlol.png

This is a great updated video with some really solid opinions

Blizzard have been exceptionally scummy for over a decade now but it's taken this for people to wake up. I've always been in utter disbelief that people persisted to buy their Blizzcon tickets for $700 after all the shit they've pulled year after year. Their fans are waking up finally! 

The man who receives $200m a year in bonuses and was Epstein's buddy has spoken

q9Tna6APZHLiGtgYKY3cAi-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Bobby Kotick confirms new employee support practices and personnel changes.

Load of boring waffle bollocks, heard a million times before from other companies. He doesn't give a shit about his employees, his company has demonstrated that time and time again. He's just trying to save his own ass and his ludicrous annual bonus. He doesn't even give a shit that nobody believes a word he says, his reputation is so fucked and he's one of the most hated people in the videogame industry and he knows it, he just doesn't care.

Money > all with this man. Wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. 

banlol.png

5 hours ago, Diddums said:

Wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. 

Amen. This is a systemic issue that won't be corrected unless you pull these weeds out of the dirt. It feels bad because I love Blizzard, I can say most of my gaming history has been spent on a Blizzard title. I haven't had their app installed on my PC in a few years now.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Poor mans Meatloaf/Steven Segal is out 

GrkyyYjHeDTNW27cZ3wz3g-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

To be replaced by Jen Oneal and Mike Ybarra as co-heads.

🙄

Insincerity at its finest.