Dune Trailer

LordBaguette

They posted a teaser already a few months back. I have no idea what the story is, never read the book. Wondering if anyone here has? Anyway the trailer really does look good, I hope it delivers

cba

21 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

They posted a teaser already a few months back. I have no idea what the story is, never read the book. Wondering if anyone here has? Anyway the trailer really does look good, I hope it delivers

I finally was able to watch the trailer. This looks pretty interesting. To be honest, I never read the books or watched any of movies? TV shows? Whichever? I just could not get into them.

I think a lot of the issue with the fantastic Sci-Fi stuff we all grew up with being translated to film has always been quite a feat to achieve. The audience for books is a different audience for live-action, as those who watch live-action do not generally have the patience for a story with all the rich details to unfold. Those of us who were avid comic readers are used to waiting for a story arc to unfold over time. Live-action-only audiences typically are not, which is why the budgets for such shows and movies never had the same budget as regular mainstream shows and movies.

With Marvel creating a vast universe in the movies and coming back to TV, I think live-action-only audiences have finally gained the patience to get beyond typical bite-sized entertainment. So, stories like Dune can now prosper in the movies and possibly TV if they go in that medium as well.

Some Sci-Fi stories are just really difficult to fully tell in the 2-hour (pushing to 3-hour) limit of movies. I know that one of my favorite book series was pushed to be made into movies, but eventually, the writer admitted that the amount of story that needed to be cut was just far too much of a compromise. He states that he is pushing for TV show like GoT, and all his fans agree that it is the better outcome. The first book alone has enough content for the first season, with easy segments for episodes. The special effects required would only be able to be achieved with today's (and future) technology, giving a more immersive visual experience.

For Dune, I'll actually watch this when it comes out. I'm intrigued. Fun cast of actors with a few that are always a treat to watch in whatever role they land.