New World

Anyone bought this yet or planning to do so? Seems Amazon's MMO has made some improvements since it's big reveal ages ago and now it's in closed beta. Sadly it seems to be bricking £1200 GPU's which is not a good pre-release advertisement..

d7uZZCHgy892uEbj27ebLM-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Bricking RTX 3090s in a graphics card drought is not a good look.

I watched a bit of a live stream on it by The Escapist.  I'm curious about the combat.  It looks more 3rd person hack & slash as oppose to the typical MMORPG.  I've also heard folks compare it to Destiny in so far as mission structures and such.  I'm not willing to put any money on it right now.  I'd like to give a try myself so hopefully they drop an open beta or something.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I probably need to watch a condensed video on this to understand how it all works. It looks pretty cool looking at a few streams today but want to know how the quests work and how much fun stuff you can build, etc.

The stream I was watching had 25k views and the game lagged out on him so yeah, i'm seeing what you guys are saying above already!

13 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I watched a bit of a live stream on it by The Escapist.  I'm curious about the combat.  It looks more 3rd person hack & slash as oppose to the typical MMORPG.  I've also heard folks compare it to Destiny in so far as mission structures and such.  I'm not willing to put any money on it right now.  I'd like to give a try myself so hopefully they drop an open beta or something.

Combat seems to be drawing a bit of criticism - certainly looks less refined than other parts of the game and is even similar to Velheim in terms of simplicity.  

I wonder if that had anything to do with the game wrecking graphics cards?  It probably wouldn't hurt though.  I don't think Amazon wants to screw up this release.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

On 8/6/2021 at 1:41 AM, Riff Machine said:

I wonder if that had anything to do with the game wrecking graphics cards?  It probably wouldn't hurt though.  I don't think Amazon wants to screw up this release.

I thought that but they've only bought themselves an extra month, which in the gaming dev world isn't a huge amount of time to fix stuff. I imagine it has to be related to that as they've surprisingly received quite a lot of praise for this game so far.

Game releases today - doesn't look too bad actually and is only £35 with no subscription model either. Plays a bit like Valheim with a less colourful aesthetic. Not sure if I'll grab it but I can see the game being fairly popular and another potential nail in the WOW coffin.  

Quite a lot of high profile streamers have been waiting to get into it from launch. The no subscription has me still looking at it, as it would be good to see where it goes not long after launch.

Have they confirmed DLCs or additional content post launch at all?

Seems most people are struggling with long queues - the game is sitting at just 51% positive and multi-billionaires Amazon have clearly not provided the most basic server structure to support such a game. Absolutely ridiculous. At least that's another game I can happily put on my blacklist now.

So, I like to shit on Amazon as much as I can but the game developer or studio working on it (I know this is Amazon's own game studio) forecasted the resources poorly for launch. It's not like every single Amazon server in the world is dedicated to hosting this one game. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I bought it. After 75+ hours spent since launch, I really enjoy New World. It offers a lot of different options of activities and ways to level your toon. A broad range of quests, an interesting main questline, faction rank advancing quests.  If you’re looking for something new without the peer pressure of monthly payments and having to play catch up with “lore/ history,” this is a great option. 

11 hours ago, JasonHill said:

I bought it. After 75+ hours spent since launch, I really enjoy New World. It offers a lot of different options of activities and ways to level your toon. A broad range of quests, an interesting main questline, faction rank advancing quests. (It is just me or are you also having trouble getting New World Gold?) If you’re looking for something new without the peer pressure of monthly payments and having to play catch up with “lore/ history,” this is a great option. 

Noppity-nope-nope not until Jayztwocents says there is zero chance of it bricking my video card

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork