PES turns into eFootball - and F2P

Currently sitting at 21 on Metacritic and the highest score it's achieved so far is a generous 30😂

448ec307bc6572742596e41f6c55ef93-98.jpg
WWW.METACRITIC.COM

eFootball 2022 for PC game reviews & Metacritic score: From "PES" to "eFootball™ It all began with the implacable determination to create a revolutionary soccer platform. Our ambition was to recreate the...

Now the patch has been delayed

FCTFLBUWEA8t_HB?format=png&name=large

I have a feeling this is a tactical move because if they released the patch as planned a couple of weeks before the paid portion launched and it didn't improve things then it would severely hit sales and probably kill the game off for the whole season.  Now they'll probably do the paid content and patch around the same time but if they find themselves releasing the update after the paid portion is released then it will be another humiliating disaster. 

On 10/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

Now the patch has been delayed

FCTFLBUWEA8t_HB?format=png&name=large

I have a feeling this is a tactical move because if they released the patch as planned a couple of weeks before the paid portion launched and it didn't improve things then it would severely hit sales and probably kill the game off for the whole season.  Now they'll probably do the paid content and patch around the same time but if they find themselves releasing the update after the paid portion is released then it will be another humiliating disaster. 

I mean, I don't think the patch being delayed will change people's minds to hand over money for this shower of poop. Multiple patches need to be lined up if they're serious for this to work for them.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

The game has been removed from sale across all digital platforms. Total humiliation for Konami and it defies believe how they didn't see this happening. Their manager was even quite cocky and confident on Twitter prior to release against pockets of concerns. They probably should have just released PES 2022 as a free season update and sold a £15 season pass for anyone continuing online. Now they are left with a half baked broken mess of a game that will make no income with refunds now going out. I honestly cannot see how they can recover from this anytime soon and it will take a monumental effort to make it even remotely playable like PES 2021. I think they'll just have to write this one off and focus on Efootball 2023.

Meanwhile this is what modders are capable of

Konami are giving eFooball another crack with the full launch April 14th

efootball-review-in-progress-blog-163361
WWW.IGN.COM

Konami is finally releasing the full version of eFootball on April 14, with a new 1.0 patch set to fix bugs and add new features many have been waiting for since last year.

Be interesting to see what they've accomplished but I'm not expecting much if anything. It is probably just so they can get some revenue and the game released before the end of the season and through the summer. The damage is already so severe that even if it still sucks, it wont exactly damage the reputation of the game any further. I hope they've made some significant strides but with the amount of problems, I can't see them getting back to even the level they were at with PES2021 for many years. 

Are they trying to do the reverse psycology job on us by doing an even worse job on a F2P game so we go back to wanting the annual releases? Cos its working 😅

It does look better but still worse than PES 2015. Will probably need another 2-3 years to get it back to square one. The fact eFootball was so bad when it came out last year, any small range of improvements will appear as significant by virtue of this. I just hope people don't delude themselves in thinking it's making sudden groundbreaking strides! 

Pace, ball physics and responsiveness still look problematic and the game looks like an old gen title still. At least players aren't sliding around and missing the ball altogether but there is a long way to go. 

I decided to give it a try in the end and whilst it's vastly improved in many respects, it is still lacking any real fluidity or fun. There is no Master League and you still cannot change difficulty or match length which is beyond absurd. Basically you can only play 5 minute matches on Beginner, regular and superstar difficulties with many options greyed out for no explicable reason. The package as a whole feels really bizarre and I'd like to see them remove the F2P element with immediate effect when the game is in a reasonable state. I'd rather pay to have the usual features available rather than have a barebone free experience. 

Gameplay is much more tidier though and passing is clean. The ball physics are improved and players don't let the ball sail past them. There's still problems with overall responsiveness and players being left seemingly stunned when intercepting light passes but on the whole it's definitely more representative of traditional PES than the mobile shite they had before. This is still very much an early access/demo-type experience with an attached premium mode for online purposes so I view it more as a taster of things to come in an ongoing project rather than new release entirely. I just don't think many people have a reason to play unless they are dedicated to the online aspect so in its current state, there is nothing here for casual players and still only a handful of teams available too. 

When they had a decent offering they were able to carve out a niche for those who want a proper football game. They have lost that now and the EA juggernaut has little competition. Such a shame 🙄

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Played some more matches this evening and once again I have removed the game. It's just too clunky and unresponsive and on the harder difficulty setting, interceptions are so rife that it becomes exhausting especially when players look like they've been hit with a bowling ball. What also struck me is that it seems that the game is just shaping up to be PES 2021 again but on a different engine once they complete it so what is the point of playing this half-baked version that will only evolve into a game we've played relentlessly since 2016? There is less content in this than the traditional PES demo/Lite versions and the convoluted F2P model is just a disaster - it's only use so far has been stopping people wasting their money on this since it came out late last year.

I saw this mod the other day and it puts this game to absolute shame

No matter what Konami do with this, they probably wont better that or even any of the Vanilla PES titles in the past 5 years anytime soon. Although Efootball has made some improvements, they've literally undone all their work in the last generation and this game will probably peak at square one again. 

13 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Played some more matches this evening and once again I have removed the game. It's just too clunky and unresponsive and on the harder difficulty setting, interceptions are so rife that it becomes exhausting especially when players look like they've been hit with a bowling ball. What also struck me is that it seems that the game is just shaping up to be PES 2021 again but on a different engine once they complete it so what is the point of playing this half-baked version that will only evolve into a game we've played relentlessly since 2016? There is less content in this than the traditional PES demo/Lite versions and the convoluted F2P model is just a disaster - it's only use so far has been stopping people wasting their money on this since it came out late last year.

I saw this mod the other day and it puts this game to absolute shame

No matter what Konami do with this, they probably wont better that or even any of the Vanilla PES titles in the past 5 years anytime soon. Although Efootball has made some improvements, they've literally undone all their work in the last generation and this game will probably peak at square one again. 

Yeah, I probably won't even bother trying. I've one of the older recent PES games installed on my PS4 Pro still, if I ever feel like a game.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Unless this comes out with a Master League, I won't be trying it. Seems utterly pointless when all the unique selling points of PES have been completely removed. It really isn't PES and doesn't deserve to be connected to PES in anyway.

Come on Sony, hurry up and buy Konami and smash the competition out there with your own bloody football game.

With FIFA 22 being made available for free as part of PS Plus next month, this just compounds the misery of what now is called 'The 💩 (Formely Known As PES)'.

Have we seen any new ropadmaps or future significant updates to come to it? I need to check on the other football game too to see where thats heading.

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Have we seen any new ropadmaps or future significant updates to come to it? I need to check on the other football game too to see where thats heading.

UFL Football has been delayed until 2023 (probably a year from now if we're lucky) and I am really not convinced by it. The devs are way too quiet and evasive, and when a game can't provide worthwhile updates or gameplay footage in any state, it just adds to a suspicion that things aren't going well behind the scenes or the game doesn't really exist in much of a degree. Looks like we're gonna be stuck with FIFA rebranded and this eFootball shite for years to come. 

The roadmap of eFootball seems to be them slowly working towards what PES2020 was so if they keep as it is, by the year 2025, they would have remade PES2021 again😂

15 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

The roadmap of eFootball seems to be them slowly working towards what PES2020 was so if they keep as it is, by the year 2025, they would have remade PES2021 again😂

I just can't work it out. Right now, just churning out the previous PES version would've been next to no cost for them and then they would've received a ton of money for it, plus staying relevant in the football gaming industry. Why would you throw away all that coding, hard work and multi-functioning parts of a really solid game because later PES games are still solid....for something that resembles the equivalent to a PS1 Demo?

Mind is blown.

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I just can't work it out. Right now, just churning out the previous PES version would've been next to no cost for them and then they would've received a ton of money for it, plus staying relevant in the football gaming industry. Why would you throw away all that coding, hard work and multi-functioning parts of a really solid game because later PES games are still solid....for something that resembles the equivalent to a PS1 Demo?

Mind is blown.

The problem is they took PES as far as they could under the Fox Engine which saw PES 2021 release as a season update rather than a brand new game. People were then under the assumption that them moving to the Unreal engine was to realise the next gen potential however it's been clear that this was a bait and switch and it was simply to bring the console and mobile versions closer together. Now Konami look like utter planks trying to roll with a mobile game on hardware pushing 4K. 

Only way they can truly salvage something is if they move to Unreal Engine 5 and work on a proper current gen title but doing this will mean they have to separate from mobile. This will definitely go down as one of the worst decisions ever made in the history of gaming - 7 years of hard work and keeping toe to toe with FIFA all undone just because they thought people wanted a shared console v mobile platform rather than a groundbreaking football experience. 

It's also utterly idiotic that you can't play more than 5 minute matches plus there's still only 9 teams. I can understand them not having the balls to charge full price for such a stripped down version (demo as you say) but the F2P model is not worth anyone's time. Given EA an open goal for the next 3 years at least I'd say and they will be milking the shit out of their next game without having to adhere to FIFA brand regulations.