PES turns into eFootball - and F2P

Okay. Well, breaking the annual mould of releases is what we all wanted i'm sure, but I didn't expect it to go this far. I'm not sure how to feel at the moment considering PES has given me so many great moments when I was a kid.

Free 2 Play, and its starting to gradually roll out content over the course of the year. Frustratingly, they need to review the game modes as they really could take the mantle off FIFA if they put a version Pro Clubs in there. I also feel like it removes any pressure off of FIFA making their product the best it can be.

The game might feel completely different when we try it out but I can't deny that trailer looked a little shite if i'm honest.

Roadmap is below:

efootball roadmap.jpg

I suppose we can all at least try it out when it becomes available so we can fully say if it is the right path to go down or not.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

PES has been the superior game for a while now in terms or gameplay and actually feeling like it's trying to simulate playing the sport so I'm more hoping the new engine doesn't ruin that side of things. If the game play goes backwards I'll be hanging up my boots 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

They have a battle pass in a football game😂

As I said in the FIFA thread, this is an absolute disaster - they've killed off an iconic and highly established brand and replaced it with this e-shite. The colours are nauseating and the prospect of what's on offer makes me sick too. PES was the only brand that Konami had left that they hadn't wrecked but now it looks like they've completed the set.

PES was brilliant in the 90's and then 3,4,5, and 6 were the best football games in existence. After a miserable transition into the 360/PS3 gen, they began to slowly turn it around and in the last 4 years they've salvaged the brand and took it as far as they could with the Fox Engine that was still way ahead of FIFA. They've given all that work and recognition up for fucking microtransactions. 

Thankfully the fantastic PES 6 modders will be out in force and working overtime to deliver a better game as they always do and it's great to see younger people turning to that too who never got to play it vanilla back in the day. 

RIP PES FUCKonami

It feels like such a shame, as lee and james said above it was the best game back in the days of offline play. The local play and master league was just awesome and fifa got nowhere near it for me. But I kind of understand why they've done it from a business point of view, because under the old model of annual releases they just cant compete with fifa unfortunately because of the licenses and wider appeal. Even I moved to fifa this year and have really enjoyed playing pro clubs with so many of the FG lot (i was persuaded by lee and I was hesitant to buy it initially). However like phil says above, pes is/was still the better game of football (fifa is too fast, too end to end, too much BS skill moves and pace) but unfortunately gameplay alone was no longer enough.  Will be good to play some online games of e football with everyone though if we hopefully give it a go as its free

I'm beginning to think this shitty 'online test' they did a few weeks ago is actually legit eFootball gameplay now and it looks absolutely atrocious. 

It looks like a mobile game. I reckon the Unreal transition has been a failure and the game being so shit they know they can't charge or it and don't want to tarnish the PES brand so the renamed it. That's my conspiracy theory🤣

Been playing vanilla PES 6 today via PCSX2 and this game still rocks! There's no scripting, the ball physics are entirely dynamic and no goal is ever the same. 

PES6.thumb.png.2a0153a98c62addbcee00a7552ccddcc.png

Can't wait to play eFootball where I have to pay for teams just to use in a friendly in the Konami Stadium and when I win, I unlock a new sock on the battle pass and gain some XP so I can grind out unlocking legends like Ruud Von MIstelrom and Roberto Larcos! 

Apparently master league will make its ways to eFootball as paid content but wont be available until later and there will only be 9 teams on release. Imagine not being able to play a mode day one that you've been playing for 25 years straight...

Oh dear 😥. Oh man pes6 that was a real good one. Think that was the Adriano one with his bullet 99 shot power 😍. I remember on master league slowly upgrading all my players and it was always castolo and miranda who I kept no matter how far I got in the game cuz they were ledge! 

53 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Just the way the ball moves is horrifying. What the hell are they doing 🤨

I hope it's just a case of a shit trailer because the ball movement looks dreadful as does the slidy animations. PES had probably the most accurate representation of ball physics I have ever seen but now it looks like a bowling ball is being lumped around. 

I expect slower gameplay to what FIFA offer, and in most instances that is the better way to go with an alternative football game but I can't disagree with your statement James. So gutted that we won't see PES continue in their better form via the games they've given us.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I've played a few matches and I have to say, this game is absolutely atrocious. It's basically PES 2021 but the mobile version for PS5 and PC. The Unreal engine changeover offers absolutely no immediate benefit and the game looks no different than to last year. The ball seems really heavy yet its movement does not reflect how it was played most of the time and passing itself is very unresponsive and inconsistent - the amount of interceptions either by you or the AI is huge. The players feel like they are stuck in mud and the way they collide is like two drunk guys walking home from the pub! Eyesore menus, horrible interface and a threadbare free portion of the game, no different to their usual demos. 

Konami have undone all their good work over the last decade and have set the game back to around 2008. I can't see them recovering this anytime soon and they've also given EA an undeserved open goal. 

I had a quick go on the PS5, the football is ok but there's no game to play except online. Didn't realise it would be that bare boned. A mate of mine who's ranked in the top 0.5 PES players told me today he might have to go to the dark side 🙃

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Efootball is currently the lowest rated game in the history of Steam

pQgEpkzhZPDGmm8ViNGj2L-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Not sure they can come back from this Clive.

I'm actually shocked it's got such a high score of 8% positive tbh! 

Haha this doesnt surprise me at all. There are still rumours of fifa 23 going down the free to play route though, probably going to follow warzones model as they make a shit ton on microtransactions.. the gaming industry is just fantastic isnt it

cba

8 hours ago, phil bottle said:

It'll take them a couple of years to get this new engine running properly. 2021 will have to last me a while it seems 😁

It'll probably take them a good couple of years at the very least just to get back to square one with what they achieved on PES 2021. Maybe even longer if 2008 or 14 were anything to go by. They've essentially just ported the entire old game into the new engine and hoped for the best and are now having to work with unfamiliar architecture. They'll probably have to re-write their entire animation library and do the ball physics from scratch because so far its pure ragdoll collision and wayward ball movement.

Kinda serves them right for not investing in a new in-house engine years ago for when the Fox Engine because outdated. Now they have to go the off-the-shelf route with Unreal. At least U4 can port into Unreal 5 but they need to get the basics done first. Konami just love peaking and then going back to the bottom rinse and repeat!