DayZ - the return

phil bottle

I've set up a calendar event for next week.

8pm onwards, Tuesday or Wednesday is good for me.

I'll check servers and once shared on here, I'll ask to make your way individually to Elektro before the meet up so we don't spend all night trying to find each other 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I've picked the Hero's Haven server to try out on Tuesday, and I'm checking it out tonight in advance.

For info:

We'll do this using the DayZ Standalone launcher.

1. Type Hero's Haven into the filter. They have a few servers. 
  2. Select the US server and click on Play. It'll tell you you have mods missing and ask if you would like to install them. Then let it update.
  3. There's a bunch of mods needed which are fairly small and only one big one, which is 1.5gb.
  4. If you have chance before Tuesday, pop on and head towards Elektro if you can.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, TurboR56Mini said:

So what's this now? This like survival or what not? I'm always down for new PC adventures since everyone got bored with Valheim. I like playing with other ppl, makes it more fun.

DayZ is in some way the daddy of modern survival games and is also responsible for PUBG and those types of games etc. It's also the reason why I have a PC.

It has multiple personalities and people either play it for the survival side of the game, the PVP side of the game, or a mixture of the two, where I sit. 

It has all the survival mechanics, the need to find and eat food, drink water, stay warm, base build, catch disease, avoid zombies and then on the other end, find military weapons and fly helicopters 🙂

It's a bit expensive on Steam at the moment but goes on sale a lot so watch out for it!

If you guys get into DayZ that would be pretty cool 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, phil bottle said:

DayZ is in some way the daddy of modern survival games and is also responsible for PUBG and those types of games etc. It's also the reason why I have a PC.

It has multiple personalities and people either play it for the survival side of the game, the PVP side of the game, or a mixture of the two, where I sit. 

It has all the survival mechanics, the need to find and eat food, drink water, stay warm, base build, catch disease, avoid zombies and then on the other end, find military weapons and fly helicopters 🙂

It's a bit expensive on Steam at the moment but goes on sale a lot so watch out for it!

I do like base building, is it extensive?

33 minutes ago, TurboR56Mini said:

do we get the DLC too? Livonia or something or other. it's 10% off for both as a package at the moment 

I rarely play on Livonia map personally. The thing with DayZ is the mods, the next best map after Chernarus is Namalsk which is a winter map, and free as its a mod.

If you guys wanna chat about it let me know and I'll jump on Discord 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I rarely play on Livonia map personally. The thing with DayZ is the mods, the next best map after Chernarus is Namalsk which is a winter map, and free as its a mod.

If you guys wanna chat about it let me know and I'll jump on Discord 

I'm on now with John trouble shooting bungie being a pile of shit 

Having trouble getting the launcher to work. I've located the correct folder to launch, but it's not working. More to come. There are also two servers for Hero's Haven on two maps it appears. 

21 hours ago, phil bottle said:

It is the daddy of survival games, and it's also the reason you joined FG and became one of the BFFs ❤️ 

banlol.png

1 hour ago, Diddums said:

It is the daddy of survival games, and it's also the reason you joined FG and became one of the BFFs ❤️ 

Indeed, DayZ is responsible for a lot of things 😅😍

In 2012 the dayz mod of arma 2 had a really nice forum with some cool characters, one of whom was the pied piper of diddums 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

24 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Also, I've switched server as the Hero's server is having ping issues.

Trying out Sunnydale now, server #4, ChernarusPlus.

Installing Steam, if you're on in an hour I'll join you

banlol.png

@TurboR56Mini  DLed the game while I was out and about on Saturday... so, I think I will as well.

Although part of me just sees the aesthetic of Fallout 4... and I've built many obnoxious bases that have the ability to kill anything before it gets inside (laser turrets everywhere) that I might still be a bit weary on it lol. Let's see. 🙂 

44 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

@TurboR56Mini  DLed the game while I was out and about on Saturday... so, I think I will as well.

Although part of me just sees the aesthetic of Fallout 4... and I've built many obnoxious bases that have the ability to kill anything before it gets inside (laser turrets everywhere) that I might still be a bit weary on it lol. Let's see. 🙂 

No auto turrets in DayZ, that's more Rust and its crazy nonstop pvp.

DayZ is a bit more focused on the survival mechanics, which I admit can include human interaction. And it is the fear that human interaction can elicit that kind of makes DayZ what it is. Is this player friendly or will they kill me on sight, or just rob me?

Eating and drinking is a big thing, as is staying clear of cholera and zed infections. You can craft most of what you need to, so it's also possible just to live in the forests too without need of going to a town.

So you get an idea of how I approach DayZ I'll set out how I tend to play.

Spawn a new character at the coast. 

Find my way to a town initially to loot food and equipment. And weapons.

Head into the map, looting farm buildings etc as I go

Look for abandoned military camp to pick up better weapons.

Establish a base, usually hiding it as best I can. Make the base a home.

All of this while avoiding zeds, bears, wolves and humans. Can also find parts to to repair cars and trucks to travel around in. 

Go to the airfields to find a helicopter and interactions here tend to be of the murderous nature.

The type of server will often determine a lot of your experience. Some are friendly, some are specifically pvp kos, some are role play where there are rules about killing and robbing etc

Some servers make you start with gear, some equip you with nothing.

The best map to start on is Chernarus or these days the modded Chernarusplus.

I had a brief meet up with @TurboR56Mini  but he had to run off so nice to have you on board too 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I updated and played a bit of Dayz this weekend.  I feel super out of practice!  I was on the struggle bus the whole time, lol.  

I always forget what a lot of the buttons do but I'll probably have to re-learn a lot of the crafting mechanics 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I was struggling with both the keyboard controls and the crafting, lol.  I was hitting the jackpot with food but died to zombies each time.  I wasn't in the DayZ mindset.  Gotta be in the right mind to survive.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png