Steam Deck Announced

J4MES OX4D

Basically a £349/$400 starting handheld gaming PC. 64-512gb models available with the highest capacity one £569

WNV2ghtYo7QkoMHD6tcVFA-1200-80.png
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The devices will ship in December 2021.

steamdeck_social.jpg
WWW.STEAMDECK.COM

Steam Deck is a powerful handheld gaming PC that delivers the Steam games and features you love.

overview-shared-library-english.jpg

honestly with the prices of the gpus and cpus this seems like the best thing if you want to play pc games for the foreseeable future without selling both of your kidneys, now if you could hook it up to your monitor and use kb/m that would be swell

Very annoying right now as there's stuff I want to check on DayZ tonight and can only access the web version,  which itself took a few attempts.

Even more annoyingly, I've just put down a deposit on the 500gb steam deck 😅  ffs

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Yeah, the Steam client is struggling right now, I imagine this has been a popular release for Gabe and the crew 

Users who were eligible to place an order couldn't because it said they weren't allowed and when instructed to refresh the client, they could then place the reservation but it would then say they made too many purchase attempts and get kicked out😅

Valve's retail operations are so outdated and unreliable it's horrendous. They will sell out of the Deck so they wont care about these issues but they really should hire a proper distributor with a credible purchase framework because this in-house regime they have makes me so uneasy. 

So, yeah... if anyone wants to buy me one of these, I'll gladly accept!  lol  

I think this thing will be huge.  I can see people doing all sorts of things with this.  Should be interesting! 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

On 7/15/2021 at 7:41 PM, Tar-Eruntalion said:

honestly with the prices of the gpus and cpus this seems like the best thing if you want to play pc games for the foreseeable future without selling both of your kidneys, now if you could hook it up to your monitor and use kb/m that would be swell

I really didn't think of it that way when I saw the handheld being announced. Its now making me think it could be a good investment at some point, as some PC games I would rather play on my holidays as to when i'm at home. Is 720p that much of a downgrade from 1080p on a screen that size?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

55 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I really didn't think of it that way when I saw the handheld being announced. Its now making me think it could be a good investment at some point, as some PC games I would rather play on my holidays as to when i'm at home. Is 720p that much of a downgrade from 1080p on a screen that size?

well there will certainly be a visual downgrade but if your next option is to give at least double that then it's more enticing, but we will have to wait and see until it comes out how it truly performs, i really hope it becomes a viable cheaper alternative to giving 1000-2000 for a full tower pc

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Is 720p that much of a downgrade from 1080p on a screen that size?

Probably nothing significant and there's the added wow factor of seeing huge games being played on a handheld which should override any visual downgrades that do exist. 60fps is also another major factor especially seeing that we've been playing most games 30fps on the PS4/XB1 and those couldn't reach full 1080p potential. 

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

No. It's fine. 

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

I’m kinda “meh” on it.  I’m quite fine with having my switch for on the go gaming but if I want to play PC stuff, I’d rather be at home then out and about.  

This would probably be a good investment for someone that maybe can’t afford a top end machine or as a first “gaming PC.”  

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

15 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

This would probably be a good investment for someone that maybe can’t afford a top end machine or as a first “gaming PC.”

Is this that intrigues me like we spoke last night. Although looking at the cost currently, I do think its a little on the steep side.

15 hours ago, Riff Machine said:

I’m kinda “meh” on it.  I’m quite fine with having my switch for on the go gaming but if I want to play PC stuff, I’d rather be at home then out and about.

I totally get this and I think it makes sense depending on what games you like to play 'on the road'.  When it comes to indie games which are the main games i'd probably play on hols, I don't have much care for them so I usually end up buying those games on PC where they are really cheap (or free) and keep my switch for unique games that are available.

If they could bring the cost of the largest memory down to as close they can get it to 300 they might have a chance but considering next gen costs around 400-500 it needs to be more competitive to push people to buy this instead.

I saw a tweet that stated you could save battery life if you cap frame rate in your settings, although seems pointless if you can't have it above 30 as everything last gen is minimum 30 and should really be 60 at minimum!

34 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I saw a tweet that stated you could save battery life if you cap frame rate in your settings, although seems pointless if you can't have it above 30 as everything last gen is minimum 30 and should really be 60 at minimum!

Depends on the game, don't need more than 30fps for Civilisation type games for example.

What it offers is choice. 

If they get it right and properly support it, it'll sell by the bucket load.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Depends on the game, don't need more than 30fps for Civilisation type games for example.

What it offers is choice. 

If they get it right and properly support it, it'll sell by the bucket load.

Good point - and they'd be more the types of games I'd play on a hand held. Stop tempting me Phil!! 😄

8 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Good point - and they'd be more the types of games I'd play on a hand held. Stop tempting me Phil!! 😄

Yep, this is the draw for me. I've quite a few games like Civ, Anno, WH40k etc that would get a lot more play time on a handheld.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

my main concern is that it runs a linux distro and even with all the advancements they have made in the gaming scene on the linux side still many games are unplayable or have subpar performance and also you have many programs that don't exist there and i am not talking about office/adobe ones that are unrelated to gaming but modding tools for example are non-existent there and some games almost require them