Couple weeks alone fly fishing

Drifter

Just got back last week from 2 weeks all alone on the Au Sable fly fishing. It's by far my most enjoyable thing I love doing, I'd rather be on the water with fly rod in hand than doing anything else in life.

Was a great time. Stayed at the same lil' motel I have been staying at for many years now. Spent the first few days on the lower river chasing smallmouth on the fly. Then went upstream and trout fished for about 11 days after that. Had some good fish rising and hatches so caught a few nice trout on dry flies. Spent the evenings when I wasn't fishing into the night back at the motel watching TV alone and relaxing. Was a very enjoyable time. Here's just a few of the many pics from the trip.

Let me see if I remember how to insert pics here, hmmm lol..

dDymUOs.jpg

4K0CFS3.jpg

OZUjcBC.jpg

LJyZ2Yt.jpg

Ns1E0gl.jpg

R5Z34Pk.jpg

e9vJsvy.jpg

WpAcYF5.jpg

GpMGeIP.jpg

Some great pics there, Steve. Looks like a very peaceful and relaxing trip away from the world. Was it a stereotypical little American Motel in the middle of nowhere mate?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

15 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Some great pics there, Steve. Looks like a very peaceful and relaxing trip away from the world. Was it a stereotypical little American Motel in the middle of nowhere mate?

Yeah somewhat. The town is Mio which is a pretty small town about 3hrs North of here. There's about 100yards of shops and building right down town and that's pretty much it. The Motel is right at the one end of town not even 200 yards from the river so it's a great location. Weekends can get busy at the motel but through the week I usually have the whole place to myself.

13 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Nice Steve, do you catch and release. Interesting you caught what looks like a carp... was that on a fly because they’re normally bottom feeders?

Yup I'm strictly C&R these days. I love the taste of fish and eat it almost weekly at least once/twice, but I don't like to kill them when I can just buy it at the store so I haven't kept one in probably 20 yrs now.

That one is a redhorse river sucker, they are somewhat in the same family as carp. They are a bottom feeder but I got him on a fly I tie that I twitch across the bottom to imitate a crawfish so I get the suckers every once in a while that way.