SPOILERS - Discussion - Loki

Antpool84

I watched the first episode of Loki last night and i loved it. I've always liked Loki as a character in the MCU and this had a bit of everything for me. Already had a couple of laugh out loud moments and an emotional moment, and its only the first episode! I'm liking Owen Wilson in it too, i think his Mobius plays well off of Hiddlestone's Loki, and i'm looking forward to seeing how the two work together through the series. The ending was pretty intriguing too, so can't wait for episode 2 🙂

What a fun first episode! I was super stoked to see Wunmi Mosaku in it. She was stellar in Lovecraft Country as Ruby.

I'll start a discussion thread if you want to discuss it with everyone!

I don't think there's too many spoilers to give, so I won't be covering this post with a spoilers block.

The first episode was fun and just emotional enough to get an underlying theme and character motivation going.

However, @TurboR56Mini  and I immediately thought, "This looks a lot like Legends of Tomorrow and Umbrella Academy." Anyone else besides me officially recognize the 1950's aesthetic to now to be really cool yet really creepy? I mean, even Fallout plays into it haha.

Anyway, I will say, I was a bit surprised to see the shock on Loki's face when he realized how his mother died. I'm sure this is a thread that is going to be pulled throughout the show. The original Loki we know had a salvation arc that was always tricky and iffy. Will this Loki have his own?

45 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

Anyway, I will say, I was a bit surprised to see the shock on Loki's face when he realized how his mother died. I'm sure this is a thread that is going to be pulled throughout the show. The original Loki we know had a salvation arc that was always tricky and iffy. Will this Loki have his own?

I think we've already seen the beginning of it with Loki being asked about why he hurts people.  In a therapy-esque sort of way it actually got Loki to be introspective which is something new for the original Avengers era Loki.  Especially given that he also got to see how his correct time line version lived and died.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On 6/11/2021 at 1:48 PM, RenFengge said:

I don't think there's too many spoilers to give, so I won't be covering this post with a spoilers block.

The first episode was fun and just emotional enough to get an underlying theme and character motivation going.

However, @TurboR56Mini  and I immediately thought, "This looks a lot like Legends of Tomorrow and Umbrella Academy." Anyone else besides me officially recognize the 1950's aesthetic to now to be really cool yet really creepy? I mean, even Fallout plays into it haha.

I watched umbrella academy and thought the exact same thing about the TVA. I do wonder if they will explain why they have that aesthetic, as they do seem to cover as many bases as possible when it comes to explanations in the MCU. I also wondered if they have separate divisions for different planets? as everyone looks human, and they only seem to deal with the timeline as is pertains to earth.

@Greboth think we've already seen the beginning of it with Loki being asked about why he hurts people.  In a therapy-esque sort of way it actually got Loki to be introspective which is something new for the original Avengers era Loki.  Especially given that he also got to see how his correct time line version lived and died.

With Loki himself its like the kind of fast tracked him into being the Loki we knew that died in Infinity War. It did surprise me that he saw his 'future' death so soon in the show, although looking back it was a good way I guess of getting casual viewers up to speed quickly who may not have seen all the films / may want to make them go back and watch them. 

I wont go into theorising too much on Loki, as to be honest there millions of different things you can talk about, I want to enjoy it as it is. I think the strengths it has at the moment are the cool aesthetic and weird vibes of the TVA (always an MCU strength when they go for more kooky and weird stuff more like Ragnarok did), the chemistry between Owen Wilson and Tom Hiddleston and the fact that you don't really know the intentions of any of the characters, even Loki himself, making it difficult to know where the plot is going.

I will say though that it seems it will have the most impact on the MCU out of the three shows so far. 

cba

SPOILERS FOR EP 3

Spoiler

EDIT - I have seen theories that it may all be fake, and he's just under the control of Lady Loki or more accurately, Enchantress and there is a much bigger plot / plan going on. If that is the case then the below wont be as much of an issue

This post sounds like a bitter old man but, here goes xD

I am hoping the third episode was a blip, because it wasn't good at all, failed on almost every level. It has gone so downhill since the first episode. They have made Loki into a fangirl version of his character, almost a parody of himself. The episode looked very cheap, and was mostly filler apart from pretty dire character building between the Loki's and a throwaway line about everyone in the TVA being variants. The Lokis go from killing each other to almost fucking kissing in 20 minutes, it was painful to watch. He was killing people in New York a week ago.. now he suddenly cares about some random planet being destroyed?

I am not sure what the hell is going on with Loki's powers? One minute hes way too underpowered and cant beat humans in a shop, next minute hes stopping buildings with telekinesis powers? What the fuck? I was perplexed, some saying he may have stolen the time stone to do it but, I am not sure that is the case considering to green glow and he'd surely have no idea how to use it?

I am hoping it improves but that was just awful.. expectations have been lowered a lot

Also Champagne is a region in France, not an intergalactic drink..

Glad I am not alone in my thoughts:

cba

On 7/2/2021 at 8:25 PM, Greboth said:

Agree that was better than ep3.  The post credit scene was intriguing too as there’s now 5 Loki’s together.  Plus Richard E Grant seems a great choice as a Loki.

I had the same opinion now i've caught up on all this stuff.

Hayley hasn't really watched it but in passing she did say that the female Loki is really bad at acting which I had to think about but probably contributes to why Episode 3 was all over the place. Episode 4 felt much better but with 2 episodes left to go i'm not entirely sure where the hell everything is going - not from a tense point of view though, more from a confusing 'how on earth will this link to the other Phase 4 stuff' view.

Is there supposed to be a second series to Loki? I'm not sure how much is actually being covered by the whole plot as it feels very light on the ATV side of things. Still have the desire to see the last episodes after the last one so fingers crossed.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

6 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I had the same opinion now i've caught up on all this stuff.

Hayley hasn't really watched it but in passing she did say that the female Loki is really bad at acting which I had to think about but probably contributes to why Episode 3 was all over the place. Episode 4 felt much better but with 2 episodes left to go i'm not entirely sure where the hell everything is going - not from a tense point of view though, more from a confusing 'how on earth will this link to the other Phase 4 stuff' view.

Is there supposed to be a second series to Loki? I'm not sure how much is actually being covered by the whole plot as it feels very light on the ATV side of things. Still have the desire to see the last episodes after the last one so fingers crossed.

I agree, I cant see 2 episodes being enough to wrap it all up in a satisfying way

cba

Series finale spoilers

Spoiler

Kind of crazy that they went full multiverse and Kang (well the Immortas version of Kang) straight away, and in a TV show! Honestly I expected the worst (villain was miss minutes or some crappy Loki variant), but no they actually went and did it! Definitely one of the best episodes, yes there was little to no action, but I thought Jonathon Majors take on the villain was fantastic, maniacal and he basically stole the show. You can definitely feel the fact hes thousands, potentially millions of years old and is basically losing his mind after countless multiversal wars with the other Kangs.

I mean they can literally do ANYTHING they want to now, possibilities are limitless now they have access to the entire multiverse. This will be how they introduce X-Men, as well as combining the SonyVerse (Venom, Morbius etc) with the MCU. What a great way to introduce the next big bad by him dying and saying "see you soon!", and winking, so badass. I am glad they are really going down a completely different route, and aren't just rehashing the Infinity Saga. 

I do wonder whether the more grounded stuff like Captain America 4 etc will even be involved with any of this, I kind of see the MCU now in 3 distinct pillars. One being the more grounded earth based stories with Cap, Black Widow etc, 2nd being the more cosmic space stuff with Thor, Captain Marvel etc and 3rd the multidimensional stuff with Dr Strange and Scarlett Witch, time will tell I guess.

Jonathan Majors is cast in Ant Man 3, I assume he will playing something closer to the full Kang the Conqueror version, and he will play him differently than he did in Loki (much more serious and less maniacal). I expect we will see other versions of Kang in other movies or shows going forward (Rama-Tut, Iron lad?), it will be so cool him seeing him playing these all differently. One of my early predictions is I feel like they may say Kang is a descendent of Tony Stark, instead of traditionally Reed Richards like in the comics (mainly due to the fact it was Tony who discovered time travel in the MCU)

My negatives in this episode are mainly Sylvie, jesus she was just terrible, very one dimensional and downright annoying. Also the inevitable kiss, eugh. 

cba

After reading what you have wrote @LordBaguette  i'm hoping to really enjoy his character as he grows into different versions of himself. I know I might be the minority about the whole of the Loki series but I just couldn't get into it like any other ones. I loved looking forward to it but my feeling after every episode was "is that it?" and "i'm hoping for more next week" but it kinda of didn't come, albeit there was still moments where it shown great moments. I think Tom Huddlestone and surprisingly for me Owen Wilson with a cameo from Richard E Grant was the most enjoyable experiences from it. I didn't find 'He who remains' any way impactful like you did, just can't explain why it didn't hit me as it did you. Maybe because he just looked normal and I possibly hyped myself up to see a random MCU Villian...I suppose I did but didn't know I did! 🤣

I agree with you, Sylvie was lifeless and one dimensional. I think that's also why it probably impacted me more in a disappointing way rather than a hyped way. It also helps now that you explained what the main antagonist is all about - in these TV shows it really means you have to have some extensive knowledge on most of Marvel's history before you head into them. We said similar things with WandaVision as I missed so many references. Once you know those extra elements you've kindly shared before, I then had an extra appreciation for some of the episodes.

I think if we had different topics on some backstory that would be useful to Phase 4, I think many of us folk would really appreciate these mini TV series more.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb