Euro 2020

J4MES OX4D

2 hours ago, Baabcat said:

Huge character of those guys to volunteer for taking penalties.

They didn't volunteer which surprised me - Southgate made the choices which was a bemusing strategy and this was done before the game also. I would've preferred if the decision was made at full time and with the experienced big boys stepping up rather than leaving 3 youngsters including Saka to shoulder the enormous responsibility.

Despite his record, I would've kept Henderson on and made him take one. Grealish was another strong contender and then Shaw/Walker could've easily offered.  Sancho and Rashford hadn't even kicked a ball since the half time warm up so chucking them in at the deep end was always risky - I would've put them on at the start of ET to win the game or not at all. Gutted for Saka as he's had a great tournament and was unlucky not to start - now he's going to have this hanging but I hope he can put it behind him and continue to grow. 

I believe they did volunteer as all did, however Gareth chose the line up based on training - something other managers didn't do in the past and thats why we got beat multiple times. We can believe whatever narrative we all want to believe in, I might just share a few facts to help bring context and balance for the people thinking that the line up wasn't the right choice but why Gareth (and myself) believed in it.

When we beat Columbia on penalties heres the takers, and the outcome just to help:

Kane scored - Aged 24

Rashford scored - Aged 20

Henderson missed - Aged 28

Trippier scored - Aged 27

Dier scored - Aged 24

And a stat based on Roy Keane's view:

Regardless what happens though, we all know penalties are the cruellest way to lose. Its virtually pot luck and has no relevance to the game that was played beforehand.

I think they did volunteer and GS said he chose them to take the heat off them. This is the manager stepping up for them as he really does know what they're going through! 

This is a young, evolving team with a tactically astute manager blessed with man management skills much superior to his predecessors. 

Two semis and a final in the previous 3 tournaments... Just need to make that final jump which I think will be at Euro 2024..another SF in Qatar is my prediction and I'd be happy with that with this young squad 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

As someone who only watches soccer during these big international events, (euro, world cup, and so on) I really love watching the England team. I've been an Italy fan since the early 2000s, but only because I am an Italian-American so I have no real skin in the game. I love watching Raheem Sterling! With that said I found the game to be really entertaining, and I love penalty kicks; I know some folks wish it would just play on and on until someone collapse but to me that makes a bland experience. 

image.thumb.png.9f4d92d550111a88c482d6124cb43201.png

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Italy have looked pretty good all tournament. England deserved to be in the final. It was always going to be a tight game. England started well, but I think Italy were better on the night overall.

England looked really defensive and the energy and creativity going forward wasn't as good as the Italian counterparts.

I feel sorry for the lads that missed the pens, Gareth is a helluva nice guy too! What he has built for England is tremendous and deserves credit.

Being Scottish I don't have any hate against the England team and manager. They are all professionals, however the small minority of English hooligans always spoils it for me.

If you haven't seen this, it's disgusting. Footage before the game of English fans who didn't have a ticket. They had sneaked in and ambushed Italians as they made their way to their stand. This is why I can't fully support England, this behaviour sickens me and no doubt many others.  This was before kickoff as well.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Sieh dir auf Facebook Beiträge, Fotos und vieles mehr an.

30 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I think they did volunteer and GS said he chose them to take the heat off them. This is the manager stepping up for them as he really does know what they're going through! 

Exactly that - he made no one take a penalty, and then tries to take the heat off them - top man Southgate. Aynone who is second guessing him know was probably thinking he has a genius after 2 minutes when his wing back switch  and Trippier for Sako switch looked a masterstroke. 

Sad that the biggest conversations after the tournament are regarding fan behaviour and racism but glad to see Patel and her hypocrisy getting told by Mings this morning. Footballers appearing to be better role models than our politicians is where we're at.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

18 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

With that said I found the game to be really entertaining, and I love penalty kicks; I know some folks wish it would just play on and on until someone collapse but to me that makes a bland experience. 

I can understand that. Its the cruellest way to end a game but when you can't settle it between two teams over 2 hours of playing intense football there has to be some way. I think the only challenge to this is the way we saw a pilot somewhere in the world where every 5 minutes you remove one player each so eventually you will get a winner within another 20-30 minutes hopefully. But you could still argue that's not fair either! Thats the beauty of football, it allows for the most unpredictable things to happen the most versus all other sports.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Sad that the biggest conversations after the tournament are regarding fan behaviour and racism but glad to see Patel and her hypocrisy getting told by Mings this morning. Footballers appearing to be better role models than our politicians is where we're at.

It is, and not surprising either. The only way this stuff changes though is with action rather than continuing 'condemning'. Thats just words and we all know actions speak louder than words. I hope there is stuff that can be done as I want to see the World Cup here in 2030.