Euro 2020

J4MES OX4D

Spain were fortunate and some rotten luck for Switzerland throughout the game but their penalties today were England-esque😎 That was never a red and I wouldn't have even give it as a foul. Spain's finishing was exceptionally weak and they are another team that's possibly there for the taking. 

2 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Italy are still going strong....

They look an absolute force all over the pitch but it will be interesting to see how they fare without Spinazzola. Italy have always been a hard team to break down but now they have an attacking philosophy on top thanks to Mancini so opponents will have a very difficult time breaking them down. Funnily enough, Wales and Austria came the closest😂

Spain must not fall behind at any cost in the semi else they will seriously struggle to find a way back. Italy have only conceded 2 in 14 games or summat (both consolations) so it's hard to judge how they would perform when a goal down but that's the only chance teams will have of getting a foothold against them if Italy are the ones that have to get back into the game rather than vice-versa.

Belgium fall short again and despite another unkind side of the draw for them, it's another failed attempt will a very strong team. Their last shot will be the world cup and then wholesale defensive changes will have to be made and I'm not sure they even have that in the locker going forward.

Its been a wild few days hasnt it?!

To briefly check in regarding England v Germany, I thought we were excellent all over the park in every aspect. We made chances, worked our patterns extremely well and finished them off emphatically.

Very tough game tonight, I think they're ready for it though, we just have to get behind the team, whatever line up plays and send those positive vibes to them!

Some of us local FG lot went to the pub and caught the games yesterday over a beer. Agreed James, Spain were extremely lucky (again) and Italy really did work hard for their win. They'll be extremely tough to stop at the moment but losing Spinnazolla could hurt them quite abit.

Czech Rep 1-2 Denmark 

Hard-fought win for Denmark against a Czech side that saw a lot of the ball but just didn't carve out enough opportunities. Didn't think much of the Danes and the overall pace of the game was rather slow but they can definitely take their chances. Very impressive run from the Czech's though and some names that will certainly catch club's attentions.  

Great start by England going in 1-0 at the break but some nervy moments. Kyle Walker has been caught out 3 times and is struggling with positioning and working with the designated right wing player at that momement. We are looking comfortable on the ball but I wish we used possession a bit more effectively. Need that second goal badly and don't want a repeat of Croatia. Ukraine have it in them to easily grab a goal out of nothing. Phillips is awfully quiet today and Luke Shaw needs to remember he has a right foot. Sancho has impressed. 

4-0! What a second half display and getting that second goal so early really helped! So dominated and composed plus we had no issues with yellows. Very comfortable evening in the end and a brilliant performance overall. Roll on the semi final against Denmark! 

Another night to remember and what was even more impressive was throughout the game the intensity didn't drop, and even through their post match interviews you can clearly see they mean business.

Shaw for me was MotM, he has jumped so many levels these past few games.

I love everything that Gareth Southgate is doing, especially the bit where he doesn't listen to what anyone says in the media or from a fans perspective. 3 Semi-finals in 3 years and we're not done yet. I want this to happen more for him than anything else in the world. 2 more steps to go, bring on Wednesday.

Italy got absolutely outplayed last night but still progressed to the final! Spain really stepped it up and looked almost 2012-like with a vintage performance but they couldn't find that second goal after doing very well to get back into the game. Morata went from hero to villain and everyone pretty much knew he was gonna miss the penalty! Italy certainly aren't as strong or dominant that many feared but they still look incredibly hard to break down. Whoever gets through to the final must score first really. 

Spain are a wonderful team on the ball but toothless in front of goal. Great goal by Chiesa. Italy haven't lost a match under Mancini in two years.

Big game first, Denmark versus England and Kasper saying its never been home might help provide some extra motivation for the lads 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Spain are a wonderful team on the ball but toothless in front of goal. Great goal by Chiesa. Italy haven't lost a match under Mancini in two years.

Big game first, Denmark versus England and Kasper saying its never been home might help provide some extra motivation for the lads 🙂

Yeah it was the case of they did enough to stay in the game to give them the chance at penalties. Not trying to think of that final though as it really is all about tonight! Kasper was right tbh, it was such a shit question asked to him. I think this squad want to prove that them as individuals are good enough. Southgate even came out yesterday and triued to help the media get facts right - we haven't got a rich history in success apart from 1 World Cup and a few semi-finals - and the fact that he has achieved 50% of those semi final results should give us the confidence to get behind him, whatever tactics he puts out there.

I'm just glad its game day! Felt like forever waiting for today to come round! 😄

I hate the "It's coming home" song, drives me up the wall...but I've always taken it as a hopeful 'coming home to the place that invented the game and exported it to the world' type thing rather than anything arrogant about it. 

New Order FTW always anyway🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

7 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I hate the "It's coming home" song, drives me up the wall...but I've always taken it as a hopeful 'coming home to the place that invented the game and exported it to the world' type thing rather than anything arrogant about it. 

New Order FTW always anyway🙂

Your right Phil, the original meaning was because it was Euro 96 and the tournament was being hosted in England. It's more like you say a hopeful ode and nod to football coming back to the land it was made famous and created. I'm sure you as many others are more than aware of this. 

The arrogance from the media and fans in general is the thing that bothers me. Not anyone from this forum, just want to clarify. 😁

We were super lucky last night. Own goal from Denmark and then a penalty that wasn't actually a penalty (although I'd argue that Kane should have had a penalty). 

If we play like that on Sunday we will lose. Sure we started great but then the pace just dropped off and there were also a few silly mistakes that nearly cost us the game.

Could we beat Italy? Absolutely. We will beat them? I'm not sure about that.

fart.gif

Last night was tense but we made it! Started off well for the first 15 but then Denmark really pressed and began to dominate in midfield. They deservedly took the lead but luckily we managed to get back into the game after getting behind them a couple of times out of nothing. We got a good foothold on the game after the break but couldn't quite carve out anything. I was a bit surprised that we didn't make many changes especially with Phillips and Sterling looking shattered however Denmark looked collectively exhausted so we left these key players on and it paid off. Penalty looked soft but one angle only shown once actually showed him clearly clipped from behind so it likely was a pen. Kane was fortunate on the rebound though and it was the worst penalty he's ever taken no doubt!

Sunday will be very tough especially as they've had an extra days rest but they are beatable. We'll need to score first and do more in front of goal than what Spain did. I would start Sancho over Saka for the only change. 

1 minute ago, MrBiron said:

We were super lucky last night. Own goal from Denmark and then a penalty that wasn't actually a penalty (although I'd argue that Kane should have had a penalty). 

If we play like that on Sunday we will lose. Sure we started great but then the pace just dropped off and there were also a few silly mistakes that nearly cost us the game.

Could we beat Italy? Absolutely. We will beat them? I'm not sure about that.

I worry sometimes what game people were watching.

What a night. Bar from the 10-15 minutes that they had and got the goal, we were on top of that game. The facts were we had over 20 shots, 60% of the possession and there was really only one team going to score, it was (thankfully) just about when we were going to. The pen was soft but a pen regardless. We'd be spitting feathers if it was against us but that is football. The Danes wouldn't have give 2 shits either.

Have you ever seen an England team confidently hold the ball like they do, not panic like they do, and pass out from the back to create multiple chances like they do? I recall Souness saying, he thinks we'll win it even if its not attractive football....well, I must be blind because the patterns of passing and how they break down a team is an absolute joy to watch and behold.

Sterling was incredible and they allowed Kane to float which meant he was critical to making many spaces and potential chances. Walker had a blinder too whilst i've never seen Shaw with so much energy and desire to be positive and run at defenders.

No one said it was gonna be easy, we couldn't expect to batter a team that was ranked the highest in the world on our side of the draw, especially with the Eriksen momentum they had built up too. But we did it. We went and bloody did it. Surreal and special moment for the whole country. Make the most of this as Sunday will come around before you know it!! ❤️

One more thing though....this man deserved credit before we got into the final, heck even the semi-final. Mad how it needs these things to happen for him to get the credit he deserves. Enjoy these times whilst we have the best manager we have ever had for England.

Seeing Gareth let his emotions go in front of the crowd was one of those moments eh. A competent decent man who puts our politicians to shame.

A team that was getting booed by a section of its own fans at the start of the tournament kept me up to the early hours of the morning with all the fireworks going off and people roaming the streets cheering every time they met other people roaming the streets cheering.

Can imagine the scenes to come on Sunday 🥳😅

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

15 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

One more thing though....this man deserved credit before we got into the final, heck even the semi-final. Mad how it needs these things to happen for him to get the credit he deserves. Enjoy these times whilst we have the best manager we have ever had for England.

Errr…Sir Alf Ramsey would like a word !!!

Kinda agree on the performance , whilst I was nervous all the way through I don’t think the team were. I remember in Russia whenever we played it out from defence I was always expecting disaster but they have grown into that.  Weren’t as fluent as against Ukraine but much better opposition and we dominated them, albeit without any comfort blanket at any time.

Thought our first goal was fantastic, might have been an own goal but Only cos he had no option but to try and play it. 

As for the penalty, there was contact (probably off two Danes as well) and I’ve seen them given against us for less. And when Kane went down in first half looked a penalty to me but was given as diving ? So no worries about that .

Final will be nerve-shredding though , Italy are a step above the Danes but I think we can play better, get that Sterling /Shaw link up going more than it did last night . 

Italy deservedly win on penalties. Game management disaster from Southgate when it truly mattered most and a pathetic showing on penalties from the subs especially Rashford and Sancho - it should be a default miss if you stutter your run up like that. 

Another cup final failure from Kane who spent the whole game jogging chasing the ball aimlessly. Subs should’ve been brought on much sooner especially when Italy began to relax in ET. Would’ve given them a feel for the ball too. 

We started well but it soon went into Croatia 2.0 and instead of doing something about it, we absorbed so much for literally 60 minutes and we’re lucky to take it as far as we did. Great tournament but another disappointment and we allowed it to happen.

You're pretty lucky James I'm in a forgiving mood because that is an absolute clusterfuck of a post.

We may not have been on top all game, specifically 2nd half but the rest is just nonsense.

Like I've had to say to multiple people, grown adults too would you believe, that for once we need to stop being England Managers and remember that NONE of us could've done what they've achieved this past month.

You can respectfully be confused or disagree with decisions that take place but wouldn't it be just wonderful if all English mentalities were thrown away as they remember how much goodness, relief and jubilation these players and coaches have given us instead.

We all have our opinions on how the team should be set up. Football Manager has ruined countless relationships since the 90s 😅...but I won't second guess the manager who finally got an England team to play together.

I'd say the future, and the World Cup looks bright 🙂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Yeah I'm proud of the team, young team just ran up against an experienced, cynical and pretty good Italian team, at times we bossed the game, but at times they bossed the game. Huge character of those guys to volunteer for taking penalties.

Despite the disappointment very excited for the World Cup. Did you see most of the team removed the medals as soon as they were out on them. 18 months time we will have grown again !!

A couple of things so far we have to try to be balanced over...

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

but I won't second guess the manager who finally got an England team to play together.

I'd say the future, and the World Cup looks bright 🙂

This is in a nutshell the positive angle to be behind. I'll keep standing by Gareth Southgate regardless of what he does now, with 2 semi finals and a final to his name.

52 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

Despite the disappointment very excited for the World Cup. Did you see most of the team removed the medals as soon as they were out on them. 18 months time we will have grown again !

And whilst i'm excited like yourself, its about being balanced that we don't just immediately go and put the biggest pressure on a group of lads for the biggest tournament in football that is 18 months away. We have to be extremely lucky to win out of all the teams that try to go to the World Cup. I'm sure we'll give it our best shot....we have to stay grounded and getting to another semi or final would be amazing, winning it is the pinnacle.

I just hope if we don't have the greatest time at the next World Cup, I hope people will see its not the biggest catastrophe on the planet (thats more attached to not qualifying for a WC, etc) - we have just been to our second final, not in 55 years, but in the whole history of football!! Once we're doing that consistently like Italy, Germany, Spain, etc we can then start to remove that stigma of anxiety and failure.

I think England did very well getting as far as they did tbh. It's a shame they conceded that goal to Italy last night and at times they didn't look all that professional but I think Southgate has achieved more with this team than most have in decades and that gum he chews on every match must be broken down to a molecular level by the end of the game 😄 

Feeling a lot more confident for the World Cup after this tournament, the team have shown a lot of potential.

banlol.png