Elden Ring

Personally I'm hoping S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is GOTY and then there is Starfield releasing towards the end of the year too. Lots of games coming out, so hoping for a great gaming 2022😁

Elden Ring is blowing a lot of people away so far!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

so I have started elden ring and I can say for certain I have got my ass handed to my by that tree sentinel more times than any other first boss combined but holy shit it was a fun first boss!🥰

2 hours ago, phil bottle said:

So, apparently the PC version is buggy as hell. Does no-one QA their games any more? 😅

Naa.  Day one patch after going gold.  😏

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I've been a big Souls fan since Dark Souls 1, but deliberately stayed away from all info around Elden Ring as I wanted to relive that same daunting feeling I first got when playing the series. I hopped on during my lunch break, and ended up playing for a few hours in the afternoon, safe to say I'm hooked 😅.  The mounted and stealth mechanics are a welcome edition, and the truly open world feel will make it weird to go back to other souls games.

Beaten a few fairly simple bosses to begin with, though think I may start a new character to take out that very first boss before the tutorial!

I played a good bit today and got passed the first major boss, he was kinda of a cunt, make sure you level up and upgrade your weapon before fighting him. Fighting him early will probably be frustrating unless your a souls god. Definitely a skill check. 

Having played a ton of hours worth of souls it’s a little weird being open world and just going wherever, but I’m getting used to it. 

Changing the action/interact button after so many years is making me jump at random instead of picking shit up. Lol

Overall I’m enjoying it immensely, and time freaking flys playing it. 

wonder if we should make a new thread for tips, q&a’s maybe? Since this isn’t a straightforward experience. 

Good luck skeletons 

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

12 hours ago, Jason said:

I played a good bit today and got passed the first major boss, he was kinda of a cunt, make sure you level up and upgrade your weapon before fighting him. Fighting him early will probably be frustrating unless your a souls god. Definitely a skill check. 

Having played a ton of hours worth of souls it’s a little weird being open world and just going wherever, but I’m getting used to it. 

Changing the action/interact button after so many years is making me jump at random instead of picking shit up. Lol

Overall I’m enjoying it immensely, and time freaking flys playing it. 

wonder if we should make a new thread for tips, q&a’s maybe? Since this isn’t a straightforward experience. 

Good luck skeletons 

That "tips/q&a" thread would be great.  I know a lot of advice you've given me regarding souls in general has helped me finally get the genre.  I'm glad the game is preforming so well and you folks are digging it.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I only clocked a couple of hours yesterday due to being very busy this weekend but I've had a brief roam around the South West of the opening area and it's so good! The great thing is you don't know the enemies and their movesets or abilities so you have to be very cautious. I nearly shit myself when I saw one and then managed to destroy him with a torch in one hit🤣

Gonna have a track at the Tree Sentinel later - been stealthing around him for the time being getting my bearings but this chap is the first big test. 

12 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Decided to try the Tree Sentinel later and instead ran into Margrit at the castle which was worse😂

I think I need to level up myself and weapons a bit more first..

Yeah. Weapon upgrades help a lot. There is a cave that has a bunch of upgrade materials by the lake. I know that’s vague but I don’t want to spoil what’s there if you haven’t been by it yet. 

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Yeah. Weapon upgrades help a lot. There is a cave that has a bunch of upgrade materials by the lake. I know that’s vague but I don’t want to spoil what’s there if you haven’t been by it yet. 

Funnily enough I found that last night and the place was an absolute godsend for Smithing Stones! I randomly noticed the entrance from above so I thought I'd take a closer look but had to leg it from a giant crab whilst not trying to alert the dragon at the same time🤣

One week gone and I have played about 20 hours so far.  I've definitely enjoyed my time with the game but there are also things I'm disappointed in. It's most certainly a very beautiful and expansive title but I wish it was semi-open world and a bit more linear like we see traditionally from these developers. Large parts of the land are barren and traversing can become exhausting like we see with other saturated games of this nature. There is definitely a greater sense of discovery and surprise and it's nice not to be relentlessly chasing icons but the same bloat we seen in the likes of Ubisoft games is apparent here especially with some copy and pasted caves/dungeons.

The combat is very similar to Dark Souls 3 but after playing Bloodborne and Sekiro, it feels somewhat dated and mechanically inferior. There is also some iffiness with hit detection and the camera being erratic particularly with a volume of enemies on screen. This is made worse on main boss fights when animations are being rapidly processed. The first main boss has invisible walls from going over the edge in effect and the second has infinite stamina, ridiculous move-set flexibility and even animation protection in play. That's literally Dark Souls 2 levels of bulshittery there. There is also a lot of mini-boss bloat too and some strange balance between enemy types in certain places.

I'm not entirely sure if I'll finish this but I will continue playing as there's still plenty more to see especially with the main areas. I'm pretty burnt out with most open world games now but there's probably just enough here to keep me going but there is certainly some aspects I don't like as a departure from their previous titles. 

11 hours ago, Leeesh13 said:

so im curious which point of the game are you at!

and I want to get to maybe helping certain people who need it whether it be exploring or bosses hell maybe we might find the final boss just sitting in a church😂

I just killed the head bitch at the academy last night. So I’m gonna be on the hunt for

demi god # 3 soon. I have a lot of the lake area to explore before hand.

How far are you?

James what about yourself?

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

I just killed the head bitch at the academy last night. So I’m gonna be on the hunt for

demi god # 3 soon. I have a lot of the lake area to explore before hand.

How far are you?

James what about yourself?

Not too far - done Stormveil and have worked my way down south and done a lot of that. Spent last couple of days just exploring but I may ramp it up a bit now although it's still hard to gauge how strong I am.  

12 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Not too far - done Stormveil and have worked my way down south and done a lot of that. Spent last couple of days just exploring but I may ramp it up a bit now although it's still hard to gauge how strong I am.  

believe I killed the last boss so im helping my peeps with their shit and will hunt everything

23 hours ago, VGon_BGon48 said:

Been interested in this for awhile what'd everybody's thoughts on it 

One of my most anticipated games in recent years but also one that I am very disappointed in. It does many things well but it is significantly mechanically worse than Bloodborne and Sekiro and almost as broken as Dark Souls 2. 60% of the open world is just barren and there are several copy and pasted places which is a shame. I didn't like the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne and this has many catacomb-areas that are all the same to pad out content. There's is also too much boss bloat so this aspect really loses its uniqueness and the main bosses are really poorly designed despite looking spectacular- their hitboxes are broken, scripted poise based on health over dynamic combat chains and their attacks have insane spread/reach which can be very hard to determine. Even forwarding attacks they miss can hurt you when behind and sometimes they go into animation mode which means they cannot be hit. They also have seemingly infinite stamina. 

It's definitely a beautiful title at times and if you're new to this type of game/series or enjoy open world ones then such issues may not be brutally apparent but for myself and a few others, there's definitely some design choices and fundamental flaws here. I would have preferred a more linear-based title that had near frame-perfect combat like From Soft have done previous but to me it feels like an unbalanced sandbox with many old issues returning. I will look to trade it in for Gran Turismo 7 next week. 

41 minutes ago, PrivateParts_93 said:

So has anyone (or how many of you) succumbed to rage yet ? 😂 I am interested in this one but I am willing to wait until its on sale 😁

literally me several times whilst being one shotted by grab attacks because I may or may nor have been underleveled?😅 at least for one boss toward the end