Amazon buys MGM

james-bond-skyfall-2.jpg?w=1000
VARIETY.COM

James Bond has a new home. Amazon and MGM officially announced that they have...

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

I find this slightly unsettling.. but I hope it means that we can have more stellar shows like The Expanse rescued from the cancel-happy executives that run the cable production companies. Stop cancelling my sci-fi shows, damnit.

@RenFenggeI’m with you in that, I’m still bitter about Dark Matter getting canned.  Sadly though this merger won’t change the fact that a sci-fi show with CGI will cost significantly more than some garbage reality show while also not getting more viewers.  I only hope that they can see how many people joined Prime for things like The Expanse to realise it is worth producing them still.

Still, on topic; it’s not a surprise as Amazon seem to want to buy all the things and sell all the things.

I also appreciate your pun game even if was accidental.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I think this is an absolute disaster move. Amazon literally buying up anything they want because they have the means but not only is this bad for industry competition, they have so much bloat on their services, things could get cancelled or forgotten about and suddenly there is literally competition within its own service just to feature in prime Prime slots. It also opens the doors for them to milk and stale brands so I expect we'll see a James Bond TV series and future films will be stweemed. 

Soon Amazon will poach so much, classic films will only be accessible if you own cunting Prime. I couldn't give a shit about modern Hollywood trash but I don't want to see thousands of iconic films held to ransom through a back-catalogue. It's bad enough classic terrestrial comedies have been snapped up in recent years and put behind paywall channels. The Amazon acquisition will literally offer no benefit to the films either - the budgets will still be sky high and the personnel will remain the same. 

The only thing that could've been worse is if Facebook bought it. 

3 hours ago, Greboth said:

@RenFenggeI’m with you in that, I’m still bitter about Dark Matter getting canned.  Sadly though this merger won’t change the fact that a sci-fi show with CGI will cost significantly more than some garbage reality show while also not getting more viewers.

@TurboR56Mini  and I loved Dark Matter. I legit did not want to watch the last half season when I found out it was cancelled. It was well known that Dark Matter had a storyline intended for 5 seasons.

At least Killjoys was able to finish their story.

I wish Defiance was able to properly wrap up their story.

Honestly, I legit hate how most TV shows are owned by mindless American shops. Because American shops don't know how to not do anything that isn't a procedural show. Look at all the fantastic shows that got ported to the US, whether it's anime or not. Sherlock was amazing. Luther was amazing. Most people's cult favorite anime shows are freaking mini-series (Parasyte, Death Note, Clannad, Elfen Lied, etc).

Tell the story. Have a beginning, middle, and end. Don't waste studio money on filler BS. Look at the Watchmen mini-series or Lovecraft Country. 

I find it hilarious that people will praise these well-produced stories, grab everyone's attention, yet American studios are still "nah... we're terrified of telling an actually good story within a timeframe."

Supernatural was a 5 season story. I stopped watching around season 11... and seasons 7 onwards were infuriating.

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I think this is an absolute disaster move. Amazon literally buying up anything they want because they have the means but not only is this bad for industry competition, they have so much bloat on their services, things could get cancelled or forgotten about and suddenly there is literally competition within its own service just to feature in prime Prime slots. It also opens the doors for them to milk and stale brands so I expect we'll see a James Bond TV series and future films will be stweemed. 

Agree.. but at least it's some competition for Disney. Disney's MO (more ramped up now) has always been to buy whatever they aren't producing if it looks worth it. Going to bet that Disney was bidding on MGM as well, but they didn't see enough possible profit to outbid Amazon.

Disney seems to own everything, and if they don't, they are probably looking to buy it. At least Amazon can attempt to compete. 

I'm still not thrilled about it though.