Season 14 - Season of the Splicer First Impressions

GazzaGarratt

Thought it would be good to get this going as i've only had an hour on it so far so not played all that's available to me so far.

Positives so far

• The story - The development of the characters and how they are now portraying the story through more and more interactions with charcters in game is exactly where they needed to more. Its built on the previous season and whilst not as hugely threatening as the last season, the intentions through this story makes you want to learn more and understand what is happening yet another unlikely 'alliance'.
  • Lakshmi is back! And I thought interactions with old faction people was gone forever.
  • Power grind is gone! Super happy that I feel like i'm not far behind any more because its only jumped by 10. By just playing the game does that so I can actually focus on things I really want to do or help others get their objectives completed
  • Aesthetics and early level design in missions. The tron-look is amazing to see as you jump around it and the level design really feels something brand new albeit subtly different
  • The Transmog screen. So much easier to see what you can do and the look of your character far quicker.
  • Helm Updates. Seeing the helm expand from last season is what you want from a social space. More to interact with and makes it more inviting than the Tower is already.

Negatives so far

• The transmog weird upgrading path to get the currency to use it isn't the greatest. I'm actually not bothered about how many are on offer, its more the objectives seem quite lengthy for something just to change the way you look - at least we get some free after a few objectives but its clearly done to try and get people that don't want to wait to buy more currency with real money. Okay, if it gives us more content, fine but i'd like it if we could get a little more for slightly lower objectives.
  • Not much news on PvP. Some more stasis nerfs but doesn't go far enough. They know this but its annoying that they can't nerf it to the ground and buff it up in future seasons. I don't play half as much now and out of principle I just hate using stasis in PvP as I just feel dirty using it (plus everyone seems to know how to use it better)
  • Fragments - Apparently more fragments are available to increase the options on the Stasis subclass on Europa....and I can honestly say I cba with them at all. Thats just a way of elongating the brand new subclass out further which just annoys people even more about stasis. You'd have to ask someone else that understands stasis more as to whether or not the new fragments are worth pursuing

Things not seen yet

• New 6 player seasonal activity - not played it. I'm not expecting menagerie standards yet if i'm honest but just want something different to pull 6 of us into which is great news imo.
  • VoG Raid - not out yet (22nd May). I hope there's replayability in it for everyone. I also just want my Vex Mythoclast BADLY.
  • Loot - There seems to be lots of positive feedback so far on all the loot. There's loads of it out there too, not just old D1 weapons reprised with new perks.

Be good to know how others are finding it so far.

(Also hearing a number of things to come 'off-roadmap' i.e. hidden and not yet known to the wider public - really hoping for a next level mission again like Presage from last Season).

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Yeah I'm a bit meh with it at the moment. I liked the brief bit of story so far, and I think they have got their seasonal story telling on point after last season, so hoping it will continue to build. New weapons seem good and at least they have added quite a few I believe, and really looking forward to the return of VoG, expecting that to be awesome. However the things I'm meh about are:

Transmog - seems to be a big part of the new season and finding it hard to care - clearly been done for Eververse purposes, which i don't mind, it just wont engage me at all.

DSC - not dropping pinnacle i think is a piss poor decision  - esp since the Eyes of Tomorrow drop rate seems to be still terrible despite allegedly being patched, feel bad for those who have run it many times and not got it, hence why i put the Thursday raid up as normal

The seasonal stuff seems to be a copy / paste of last seasons war table/recaster stuff, near unchanged

Override - done it 4 times , here is my guide to anyone struggling with it:

• load into an area with a tower
  • mindlessly kill enemies until tower goes away (i know there are mechanics, but so mixed up and convoluted just a mess). Helpful tip , kill things with a sidearm for seasonal challenge
  • drop down hole, into horrible jumping section, die a lot until 'joining allies' appears
  • copy/paste boss fight from Battleground boss fight, but best to ignore boss and kill ads with side arm for seasonal challenge
  • pick up loot

Feels like a copy/paste of that public event we had to do a few seasons back (which as I recall was against the Cabal, who strangely are the enemy here again) and then a Vex-themed Battleground boss fight tagged on.  

Missing the 50 level grind, always found that a blast and good way of levelling the artefact - given one of the main things to do this season will be gilding the Conq seal, that's essential, but now just seems to be a bounty grind (day 1 of new season, found myself doing Europa bounties, thats not a good sign).

Still we got a new exotic mission to do and VoG to come so stuff to look forward to.

It makes sense that someone like yourself Bob @Baabcat  is missing the grind because this is all you play so that extra added incentive of watching a big number go up helped you focus. Problem is there has been far more feedback for most of the playerbase that the gring is too much, especially for people returning or want to get stuck in to more content with their friends but can't do it. This is why the power grind being now just an additional 10 points, which is just extra pinnacle points makes perfect sense. I know get to probably try GMs now when I physically couldn't last Season because of my power level.

#nerfstasis was trending hugely today so I think we'll get an annoucement to push forward some extra nerfs to stasis later in the season. And damn we need it more than ever. 

Yeah I heard stasis in the crucible had got worse as the hunters had a buff !!

I get what you say about the grind and do agree it makes it easier for the more casual player to an extent, but ..... I’m guessing GMs will need 1335 though , so that’s a lot of levelling needed into the artefact and limited ways to improve your base power. That’s another reason why the DSC non-pinnacle decision is so bad, such a fun raid , relatively easy, nice source of pinnacles for most people. I suspect VoG won’t be so straightforward. The power grind without DSC is going to be pretty tough so I’m hoping they reverse that decision.

Nothing more than a bounty grind to upgrade the artifact and the season pass. I'm definitely a casual being not too bothered by the harder high level content. It does remain something to pass a few hours now and then, nothing too revolutionary tbh. Was there a story 🤷😁

6 minutes ago, techno said:

Was there a story 🤷😁

Have you ever played a game where you noticed a story? 😁 I agree with the bounty side of things although still not really a grind. Every time we're we just pick up a few bounties and then by the end of the 3 months i'm sure i'll easily be over 100 levels. I get it would feel grindy if you're in a hurry for all the loot but there really isn't any need unless you want to do GMs a little earlier than everyone else.

We played quite a few of the 6 player activity, Override, over the weekend. I actually found it a lot of fun. Not too much concentration needed, lots to shoot and blow up, fun little jumping puzzle before the end boss. And the loot? Fucking fantastic. They've really got a great look this Season and there are a number of weapons that work very well. The AR, Chroma Rush, is awesome for PvP and I love the Machine Gun, Shattered Cipher, fires so nice and a 900 RPM one. Apparently the Pulse Rifle, Gridskipper, is one to look out for too. I also like the fact the playloop on this to get 'Ether' for the keys is much easier and not time consuming.

Don't worry about your pinnacles Bob @Baabcat , in less than a week VoG will be giving them out as well as Iron Banner from tomorrow!