FG League - Team Championship?

jordie1892

Just an idea I thought may be worth getting opinions on for the next season of GT races. Alongside the usual drivers championship, could we pair drivers together for a team competition, with both drivers scores combined? Figured this could help achieve a few things:

• Closer competition within the overall standings (assuming more experienced drivers are paired with newer guys for fair teams)
  • More experienced drivers could focus on helping their teammate, almost as mentors. This could be really useful with race strategy becoming increasingly important.
  • More incentives for a consistent turnout (at least I myself would make sure to find time to practice and race with a teammate depending on me)

Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, jordie1892 said:

Just an idea I thought may be worth getting opinions on for the next season of GT races. Alongside the usual drivers championship, could we pair drivers together for a team competition, with both drivers scores combined? Figured this could help achieve a fewof things:

• Closer competition within the overall standings (assuming more experienced drivers are paired with newer guys for fair teams)
  • More experienced drivers could focus on helping their teammate, almost as mentors. This could be really useful with race strategy becoming increasingly important.
  • More incentives for a consistent turnout (at least I myself would make sure to find time to practice and race with a teammate depending on me)

Thoughts?

We'll have the data by then of how this season has gone and add a basic score to each driver which should enable us to appropriately pair people together? 

2 minutes ago, Mikepjbell said:

We'll have the data by then of how this season has gone and add a basic score to each driver which should enable us to appropriately pair people together? 

Was thinking that. Obviously it could be a bit skewed by people who have missed a lot of races/CBA'd etc. but it's a decent indicator!

42 minutes ago, jordie1892 said:

Was thinking that. Obviously it could be a bit skewed by people who have missed a lot of races/CBA'd etc. but it's a decent indicator!

Tom @LordBaguette  is screwed then, as his teammate will be hammering him if he CBA's again!

Overall I think its a great idea, definitely gives extra vibes on how to approach races alongside helping more people learn the game more. We've done a great job (well, not me, others!) in terms of helping many of us lesser experienced folk get better and understand more about the finer details. This seems a great way to keep people engaged and something else to aim at.

Btw, if you wanted utilise some of the software we have on here atm, a subtle different way you could do it is, is each week one team are up against another team and the collectively points each teammate gets is their overall score. I'd love to in one sense because everything looks cool in those tables! but I do think you'd probably want some decent attendance. Either way would love to make it more than just an individual race so great shout @jordie1892 !

Yeah let's do this, have a constructors as well as drivers championship! I'm happy to help organise if necessary as it sounds great, we could do our own team cars etc. 

Might also get more people interested as tactics might come in to play? 

Whoever pairs with me, note that lube is no longer required, my back end has been smashed so often I'm fitting a revolving door.

But yeah sounds interesting. Spring Season has 2 races to go, with an end of season finale. Then first week of June, Summer Season starts. So, could start it then. Maybe do the pairing by lottery or stats, whatever you prefer. The only drawback for me is that so far I've not been too sweaty and this would make me very sweaty.

Don't mind fucking myself over but I'd be mortified to do it to someone else 😅

Love the @crispymorgan idea of an endurance race. If we want I can make one of the Summer Season races a 4 lap endurance round Nurburgring with each driver doing 2 laps each to test it out?

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I like the idea of an endurance race (or races) though I'm not sure how it would work in practicality due to, as Crispy pointed out, GT not offering driver swaps that some other racing games offer.

As for Jordie's idea of teaming up, I think it's a good idea and one I'd be down to do.  I think we should do it like touring cars set up, all the regulars get teamed up but any of the more sporadic attendees can enter as "independents" - it kinda rules them out of the constructors championship but means they can still rank up the drivers to see how they do.  As for deciding team, maybe something like based on the final table of this championship so 1st teams with 8th, 2nd with 7th, 3rd with 6th and 4th with 5th.  I'm not sure that's the best way to do it but manually picking the team like this should be better balanced than a random names from a hat.

Saying about a constructors championship, I did like your original ideas suggestion @phil bottle of doing it like the manufacturers cup where we pick a manufacturer and have to use them for all races.  It limits the car choices a little but if we're mostly sticking to Gr3 and Gr4 there's still quite a choice.  Though maybe we'd still have to have free choice for Gr2 being there's only a handful of cars in that class.  Maybe something to consider for the Autumn championship?

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I think the car manufacturer restriction scares me a little. Only because we all are still varying skill levels and what gets us through some races is the fact we can be partially competitive with whatever cars do well on tracks.

I mean, what we could do is a little test of that, perhaps in the second race in the night possibly? Doesn't have to be mapped to points but certainly worth a try for a few weeks. Although working out manufacturer is a little difficult outside Audi and Peugeot for all around reliability! 🤣

I forgot about Manufacturers, yes, let's do that, and I'm sure we can implement it for Summer.  

For endurance I would need to do two races in effect. Once all from the first two laps have completed, the comparison times will determine starting places, and gaps, for the 2nd race. If someone finishes 1st in race 1 by 12 seconds, their partner starts race 2 that many seconds ahead of 2nd place etc etc

It would be a pain in the arse go be fair😅

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think the car manufacturer restriction scares me a little. Only because we all are still varying skill levels and what gets us through some races is the fact we can be partially competitive with whatever cars do well on tracks.

I mean, what we could do is a little test of that, perhaps in the second race in the night possibly? Doesn't have to be mapped to points but certainly worth a try for a few weeks. Although working out manufacturer is a little difficult outside Audi and Peugeot for all around reliability! 🤣

I'd seed it so that the weaker pairings get first dibs on manufacturer 🤗

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Just now, phil bottle said:

I'd seed it so that the weaker pairings get first dibs on manufacturer 🤗

I should really be saying this is a good idea providing @Mikepjbell  doesn't get Peugeot or Audi. I can feel his anxiety kicking in 😄

32 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I should really be saying this is a good idea providing @Mikepjbell  doesn't get Peugeot or Audi. I can feel his anxiety kicking in 😄

Seriously 

I'm all for having this as a manufacturers championship, think it's a fantastic idea. 

In terms of organising teams, I think using the table as a base is a better method than a lottery, as two faster drivers together and two slower drivers together defeats the purpose a little. I know I myself will commit to the full season, if there's any others who have missed a significant number we could use the average race results from where they (I) have participated to get a good idea of ability levels.

I'm happy to do the math here and propose teams, unless one of the more experienced guys with a bit more knowledge on this than me ( @Mikepjbell ?) is happy to do so?

16 hours ago, jordie1892 said:

I'm all for having this as a manufacturers championship, think it's a fantastic idea. 

In terms of organising teams, I think using the table as a base is a better method than a lottery, as two faster drivers together and two slower drivers together defeats the purpose a little. I know I myself will commit to the full season, if there's any others who have missed a significant number we could use the average race results from where they (I) have participated to get a good idea of ability levels.

I'm happy to do the math here and propose teams, unless one of the more experienced guys with a bit more knowledge on this than me ( @Mikepjbell ?) is happy to do so?

Jordie if you want to do the math at the end of this season, or close to it, and I'll happily document the structure based on what has been agreed? We can then combine and put a new thread together to launch it, once we've got sign off? 

5 minutes ago, Mikepjbell said:

Jordie if you want to do the math at the end of this season, or close to it, and I'll happily document the structure based on what has been agreed? We can then combine and put a new thread together to launch it, once we've got sign off? 

Sounds good to me mate! I'll wait until we have all the final results, and a definite list of who's consistently racing and go from there!

45 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

I'm looking the team/livery/manufacturer idea.  How about the total points are an average of the race points ( race point total / 2)

To be completely honest, I have no idea as to which method of calculating points is more fair! 

Was thinking about the manufacturer side of things. If the teams are going to be as fair as possible, perhaps a lottery for manufacturer selection order is the way to go?

9 minutes ago, Findmartin said:

Hey guys I'd like to get involved with this sounds like yous have great fun on tuesday nights. Bit of a noob at the game though! 

Nice one 🙂

We're all noobs apart from the two ringers at the top and a back end smasher called Mike 🤪

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

2 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Nice one 🙂

We're all noobs apart from the two ringers at the top and a back end smasher called Mike 🤪

I've definitely been known for smashing back ends in

Points for the team thingy should be just simple - whatever you get where you finishing is added up together per duo.

I think I'm with @jordie1892  for it to be a lottery. If we didn't match up skill levels based on previous scores then I'd say otherwise.

At the end of the day its easy to get carried away with these things. We have to remember the recent GT Sport League and the FIFA Euro League we've going on here has been successes because we all have fun and don't go too uber sweaty on these things.

Definitely wanna see some full grids (16) over the coming months and this helps it happen.

So I mentioned this in the whatsapp group that I was going to post it here after the season is over.  However I thought it was a good idea to post it now as statistical analysis is not something I've done so there might be (probably is) a better way to analyse everyone's performance.

So what's included now is;

'Finishing positions' - pretty self explanatory though worth noting that the dates at the top are mostly when I made the race results images rather than the actual date of the race.  It was mostly just for me to keep track as I went through them all but it does ensure the races are in order.

'Weight positions' - I realised that, for example, a 5th place when there's only 5 finishes is last place however finishing 5th in a race of 10 is a midpack finish.  Therefore finishing 5th of 10 should rank you better than finishing 5th of 5.  So to factor this is, all I've done is divide the position we all finished by the total number of finishers.  5th of 5 then gives you a weighted position of 1 whereas 5th of 1o gives 0.5.

'Rankings' - This simply sums up the total weighted positions and divides by the total races finished to work out everyone's average.

It's the weighted positions and then averaging them that I'm not so sure on so if anyone can think of or knows a better way to do this then happy to change it.

I've also left the average in over all the races though I think we should only take an average of the last 10-20 races as this should give a better representation of how things stand now.  Obviously for those who haven't been around a lot and don't have 10-20 races total we'll just have to average however many they've done.

content-xls-large.png
WWW.DROPBOX.COM

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file...

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I think you don't need any help there @Greboth 😍

Great work!

I've been doing statistical analysis of assessment task item performance this week, facility values, discrimination index, standard deviation, all that bollocks and I'm all Excel'd out...but will have a look over in the morning if that's any help.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg