Football European Super League

J4MES OX4D

_118104525_gettyimages-1225539750.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Uefa and the Premier League have strongly condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European Super League.

If I was the FA 

- I would de-licence them from Association Football and kick them out of the league

- Expunge domestic results this season

- Block any players from being able to compete internationally who play for these teams

UEFA should also move to make any third party competitions unrecongised meaning they are on the same level as a Sunday kickabout in the park and less valuable than the Audi Cup or some shitty pre-season tournament the Middle East. De-licence all teams meaning they cannot represent the sport legally. 

8 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Fucking disgrace but hey ho it's been coming a while now, just wish my club weren't part of it....greed is good apparently lol

This doesn’t happen very often but... I totally agree with Gary “Shop Steward” Neville

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Just awaiting UEFA's statement - I can honestly seem them either buckling or worse, buying into the concept and becoming the governing body. Clearly all these teams have been colluding for years with each other and now you can see why Spurs and Arsenal got fuck all investment on the pitch in recent years - all the money went towards the stadiums and global exposure. These foreign owners have killed the game with money and a move like this will severely damage the spirit of it. 

Everyone involved should be given 3 days to withdraw or be expelled from their current European campaigns (Man City, Arsenal, United and Chelsea) and penalised domestically. I have followed Spurs for over 20 years and even I can admit they are too shit for this level with no success whatsoever. AC Milan and Inter are about as good as Crystal Palace and Leeds these days and Arsenal are a twice failed Europa League side. Athletico are the real bitches of Real and them and Barca are only in it to clear their debts amassed by bad business for years.

Never thought I'd say this but fair play to PSG😅

I looked at this and first and only thoughts of this are that it's a Powerplay made by the big clubs in Europe to UEFA to sort out the Champions League competition and ensure a better way to create funds for these clubs. Whilst I still think it won't happen, I must admit the strong stance in how it is worded is that its very much more than I first anticipated, it feels very real when I woke up this morning.

We'll still sit tight though because we all shouldn't be naive to think that they knew the backlash would be huge.

I agree that the Champions League needs amending - however, my changes wouldn't give them more money as i'd have less teams in it. Its called the Champions League for a reason and no team, regardless of their history, has the divine right to just be given spots in any competition.

23 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Just awaiting UEFA's statement - I can honestly seem them either buckling or worse, buying into the concept and becoming the governing body. Clearly all these teams have been colluding for years with each other and now you can see why Spurs and Arsenal got fuck all investment on the pitch in recent years - all the money went towards the stadiums and global exposure. These foreign owners have killed the game with money and a move like this will severely damage the spirit of it. 

Everyone involved should be given 3 days to withdraw or be expelled from their current European campaigns (Man City, Arsenal, United and Chelsea) and penalised domestically. I have followed Spurs for over 20 years and even I can admit they are too shit for this level with no success whatsoever. AC Milan and Inter are about as good as Crystal Palace and Leeds these days and Arsenal are a twice failed Europa League side. Athletico are the real bitches of Real and them and Barca are only in it to clear their debts amassed by bad business for years.

Never thought I'd say this but fair play to PSG😅

They seem clear on the stance from this - 

uefa_logo.jpeg
WWW.UEFA.COM

Europe's football website, UEFA.com, is the official site of UEFA, the Union of European Football Associations, and the governing body of...

Goes without saying I'm strongly against this, and embarrassed by Liverpools involvement.

Hopefully soon we can start to hear from the players/managers on their thoughts...

I've been a One Hotspur member since it started in 2007 and it's due for renewal next month. That's being cancelled for a start. 

I still have St Pauli as my European team to keep me going, even if they are perennially shit 😅

But yeah I'm looking at Spurs and the billionaire guy who owns them who never spends a penny on the team. Spurs are a revenue stream for ENIC and trying to get in on this is pretty desperate if you ask me. 

I hated the introduction of the Champions League and saw that as a step towards what is being proposed now.

The European Cup was for the champions of each domestic league and CL was about money. They devalued the competition back then as far as I'm concerned. Its always about money and what's happening now is going to happen, it always was. 

Capitalism strikes again🤑

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

56 minutes ago, jordie1892 said:

They seem clear on the stance from this - 

uefa_logo.jpeg
WWW.UEFA.COM

Europe's football website, UEFA.com, is the official site of UEFA, the Union of European Football Associations, and the governing body of...

Goes without saying I'm strongly against this, and embarrassed by Liverpools involvement.

Hopefully soon we can start to hear from the players/managers on their thoughts...

Another statement is due today and this one should hold an absolute stance. UEFA are also releasing their new CL format plans tonight. They sound just as bad as the super league and we’re only created to go against it and appease all these clubs. 

I hope uefa and the local bodies all take a firm stance right off the bat with no negotiation room. 

36 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

I've been a One Hotspur member since it started in 2007 and it's due for renewal next month. That's being cancelled for a start. 

I still have St Pauli as my European team to keep me going, even if they are perennially shit 😅

But yeah I'm looking at Spurs and the billionaire guy who owns them who never spends a penny on the team. Spurs are a revenue stream for ENIC and trying to get in on this is pretty desperate if you ask me. 

I hated the introduction of the Champions League and saw that as a step towards what is being proposed now.

The European Cup was for the champions of each domestic league and CL was about money. They devalued the competition back then as far as I'm concerned. Its always about money and what's happening now is going to happen, it always was. 

Capitalism strikes again🤑

Just seen Mourinho's gone, can't help but imagine it's related.

7 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Another statement is due today and this one should hold an absolute stance. UEFA are also releasing their new CL format plans tonight. They sound just as bad as the super league and we’re only created to go against it and appease all these clubs. 

I hope uefa and the local bodies all take a firm stance right off the bat with no negotiation room. 

Not 100% behind this view but I won't be surprised when UEFA unveil their plans for some/all of the big 6 to say that's what we wanted and back out of this idea.

The UEFA Cup needs to be an important trophy again, so money needs to be thrown at that imo. No relegation from CL to 'Europa League'. I'd just take a standard knockout tourney again. The premise of being in Europe needs to be you're repreenting your Country on the European stage. Money gets in the way of every morale thought process now, its really disappointing.

2 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Not 100% behind this view but I won't be surprised when UEFA unveil their plans for some/all of the big 6 to say that's what we wanted and back out of this idea.

The UEFA Cup needs to be an important trophy again, so money needs to be thrown at that imo. No relegation from CL to 'Europa League'. I'd just take a standard knockout tourney again. The premise of being in Europe needs to be you're repreenting your Country on the European stage. Money gets in the way of every morale thought process now, its really disappointing.

Don't forget UEFA are introducing the Conference League next season too which will further devalue their competitions outside of the Champions League. I really miss the UEFA Cup days - even when they had the Cup Winners Cup on the side, it was a great competition and every team had and deserved their place in Europe. Nowadays you can get in by finishing 53rd.

They really need to bring back the Anglo Italian Cup😂

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously this is a total disgrace, driven by TV money and greed. The fans can stop it, cancel Sky and don't turn up. Kill the atmosphere at grounds, kill the TV spectacle, make the clubs pariahs. But after a week of anger people will just accept it and that's exactly what these clubs are banking on.

5 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

. I really miss the UEFA Cup days - even when they had the Cup Winners Cup on the side, it was a great competition and every team had and deserved their place in Europe. 

Well said James, totally agree 👍 <cough, cough> 1981...😎

Hard to believe a week ago, nobody aside from PSG fans wanted them to win the CL and everyone is hoping they will! UEFA have to stand firm and take the strongest possible action

skynews-manchester-city-gabriel-jesus_53
NEWS.SKY.COM

UEFA executive committee member Jesper Moller said: "The clubs must go, and I expect that to happen on Friday."

If the three are expelled and Arsenal along with United and booted out the Europa, I can see managers like Tuchel and Klopp walking. Some players will certainly hand in transfer requests. 

It's been an absolute madness the past 24 hours. I do feel quite sad really. Football that I grew up with has changed considerably and even if this doesn't go ahead, the ramifications will be massive. Those Champions League games that go down as classics are only that special because of their rarity.

And the fact that any club can make a run in Europe given some luck adds to the allure of the current system. Think of Boro back in the 2000s, Fulham in 2010, Portsmouth hosting AC Milan at Fratton Park, Southampton, Birmingham and Wigan all having European tours. Brilliant, unexpected moments that fans of those clubs will treasure, but no, the directors and board members of these "Founding Clubs" have said let's just prevent anyone from entering OUR league on merit and suckle on the money teat together. Embarrassing.

I hate how the 'ESL' are now playing the pandemic card and want to 'save' football - this is absolutely despicable. This concept was in the works a decade ago and collusion has been going on for years long before Covic. If the likes of Barcelona and Real Mcsquid are struggling with debts then that's their fucking problem. They've had 9-figure debts on record for many years now so pretending the pandemic has hit them hard and the only way to recoup losses is by joining the Super League is utterly shameful.  

I think this will all come down to what legally can the existing leagues, UEFA, FIFA and Government actually do about this. The problem we now have is that they've committed themselves to this league in a very clear statement. Even if it doesn't go ahead, is this classes as bring Football into disrepute and they still get punished? I mean, as most people are starting to realise, the irony of all of this is that its brought together literally EVERYONE who follows football in a united stance. Something you'd always hoped would happen for more positive things in life.

Only other thing to add is that I wonder how many people relate it to how the Premier League started. Without going too deep into it, I really do think that is different. That was about an individual country restructuring its own leagues, although the FA back then hated it and said it would never work. This impacts all of Europe in the contest of being able to play against each other and effectively earn the right to qualify for certain things.

52 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I think this will all come down to what legally can the existing leagues, UEFA, FIFA and Government actually do about this. The problem we now have is that they've committed themselves to this league in a very clear statement. Even if it doesn't go ahead, is this classes as bring Football into disrepute and they still get punished? I mean, as most people are starting to realise, the irony of all of this is that its brought together literally EVERYONE who follows football in a united stance. Something you'd always hoped would happen for more positive things in life.

Only other thing to add is that I wonder how many people relate it to how the Premier League started. Without going too deep into it, I really do think that is different. That was about an individual country restructuring its own leagues, although the FA back then hated it and said it would never work. This impacts all of Europe in the contest of being able to play against each other and effectively earn the right to qualify for certain things.

The legality thing is a good point and not something I've heard much commentary on - do the PL have the right to kick them out (and if they do, do Sky have the right to reduce payments, for a reduced product?).  Football is very much a house of cards - players contracts signed on the back of big TV money will need to be honoured and I guess this is why the big 6 think they can gamble and everyone else will just suck it up. 

I don't see this as anything like the PL starting - effectively that was the First Division becoming the Premier League, but with different people negotiating the TV rights. This has the potential to destroy the European football pyramid as we know it. Ultimately it will hurt the ESL teams as well, they dont get that relegation battles is the main interest for most clubs in any league, and without it you get loads of end of season kick abouts with nothing at stake, very dull TV

I also wonder how far advanced the ESL are in TV rights talks - interesting to see Gary Neville going off on one on Sky Sports, when they are probably right in the thick of it.  

BTW I hate Leeds, but I loved the 'Earn it' shirts last night !

39 minutes ago, Baabcat said:

BTW I hate Leeds, but I loved the 'Earn it' shirts last night !

You're not alone Bob everyone outside The Ridings of a certain age hates 'Dirty Leeds' but hats off to them for the tee shirts and for leaving some in the Liverpool changing room!

I feel sorry for the players, managers and coaching staff of all the breakaway clubs in any of the three countries...they're stuck in the middle of it all. However, I would love to see all the England internationals concerned put in transfer requests!!

6 hours ago, Plumbers Crack said:

You're not alone Bob everyone outside The Ridings of a certain age hates 'Dirty Leeds' but hats off to them for the tee shirts and for leaving some in the Liverpool changing room!

I feel sorry for the players, managers and coaching staff of all the breakaway clubs in any of the three countries...they're stuck in the middle of it all. However, I would love to see all the England internationals concerned put in transfer requests!!

I'm from Leeds and hate Leeds 😂 at least covid stopped the fans from making getting to work a pain😁