Days Gone [PC Version]

I really enjoyed this on PS4... so I don't have much desire to play it on PC... but I'm all for non-PS people to get in on the fun!

I want others to experience the fear and surprise of riding on your motorcycle, praying to god that you don't wake a horde, only to be bitch slapped by a super fast Reacher that you never saw coming.

I'm almost at the end of the PS4 version. Weird game. Not a fan of the protagonist or most of the NPCs, and the story makes me wince on occasion.  I don't mind playing a character of dubious morals but he's a bit inconsistent and the whole militaristic side of things is depressing. Plus they've gone with a childish caricature of anarchists which is laughable.

However, driving around on the bike, which you can soup up as you progress, and killing freaks is very satisfying and draws me back. It's a good looking game on the Pro and the ambience is done really well. Too many zombie wolf encounters as they're annoying but otherwise it's quite enjoyable.

Their portrayal of anarchists has cost them the chance of me buying it for PC but yeah, I recommend 🙃

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

I'm almost at the end of the PS4 version. Weird game. Not a fan of the protagonist or most of the NPCs, and the story makes me wince on occasion.  I don't mind playing a character of dubious morals but he's a bit inconsistent and the whole militaristic side of things is depressing. Plus they've gone with a childish caricature of anarchists which is laughable.

However, driving around on the bike, which you can soup up as you progress, and killing freaks is very satisfying and draws me back. It's a good looking game on the Pro and the ambience is done really well. Too many zombie wolf encounters as they're annoying but otherwise it's quite enjoyable.

Their portrayal of anarchists has cost them the chance of me buying it for PC but yeah, I recommend 🙃

I definitely feel you on the protagonist and most of the NPCs... and the story.

But, I found it interesting when I finished the game (this was when it first game out), and the Reddit boards had people say things like, "Deacon is f*cking crazy... but they really did nail down how PTSD affects people when they come back from a tour." I read a story about how a girl's father was very much like Deacon in all ways of how he acted.

The story wasn't great.. Like, I cannot emphasize this enough for anyone who is interested in it.

But, the gameplay? That was just so much fun.

Take out a bandit camp over a horde cave? Lolol.. It took me like 4 times to do it.

Ride your bike while trying to not die by waking a horde? Only to be smacked by some new zombie that you never encountered (Reacher).. so you fly off your bike and go "OMG.. WHAT'S ABOUT TO KILL ME? IT'S MOVING TOO FAST!" I have no clue what other game just sucked me into a world like that.

I legitimately turned off all other noise distractions around me IRL just so I could hear if something is creeping up on my Deacon to kill me... or is there was a damn Shreiker/Screamer in the distance.

Stealth. I learned to love Stealth in new ways. Like, how to take out a horde still sleeping in a cave during the day without firing 1 bullet.. because bombs/mines... Lol.

Or lure bandits near a horde to let the horde kill them.

The gameplay was just... so different and enthralling. It made me look up the lore and find out that this is the same universe of Syphon Filter.

Days Gone was definitely a game about gameplay and not so much about story. I'm sad there will be no sequel. Maybe we will need to wait another 20 years for it lol.

Done about 20 hours so far and really enjoying the game plus it's getting better and better. It's weird how two of the most saturated and tiresome genres (open world/zombies) of the last generation can still provide a highly entertaining game without doing anything new or revolutionary.  I like how the story is guided and you don't have to chase a bloated amount of icons sprawled all over a large map like we see in Ubisoft titles. Although it did get off to a slow start, there are some good missions popping up and the story itself is still intriguing. The characters are likable too and although the narrative and writing is nothing spectacular, it's still perfectly fine. The crafting and looting is simple so you don't have to worry about bashing a rock against a tree or eating a cabbage for stave off hunger for 3 minutes. Riding around is fun and the map isn't overly large so travelling doesn't become a chore. 

As an open world game, they've definitely found a good balance - something Ubisoft has failed with in many titles in recent memory. 

4 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Done about 20 hours so far and really enjoying the game plus it's getting better and better. It's weird how two of the most saturated and tiresome genres (open world/zombies) of the last generation can still provide a highly entertaining game without doing anything new or revolutionary.  I like how the story is guided and you don't have to chase a bloated amount of icons sprawled all over a large map like we see in Ubisoft titles. Although it did get off to a slow start, there are some good missions popping up and the story itself is still intriguing. The characters are likable too and although the narrative and writing is nothing spectacular, it's still perfectly fine. The crafting and looting is simple so you don't have to worry about bashing a rock against a tree or eating a cabbage for stave off hunger for 3 minutes. Riding around is fun and the map isn't overly large so travelling doesn't become a chore. 

As an open world game, they've definitely found a good balance - something Ubisoft has failed with in many titles in recent memory. 

I am one of the few who cannot stand Ubisoft games... Dunno why. Just bothers me enough to stop playing them.

But, I'm glad you're enjoying Days Gone! I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it due to the genre of zombies. I totally, mentally, shitted on it when I saw the announcement of it and thought "another zombie game? ew."

Really loved how they gated some of the weapons and tied it to the story. I just wish there was more.. story development? The gameplay, however, is stellar.

6 hours ago, RenFengge said:

I am one of the few who cannot stand Ubisoft games... Dunno why. Just bothers me enough to stop playing them.

I'm not a fan of their open world format and it's a tragedy that a lot of other developers have adopted their generic design philosophy with things like waypoints, x-ray vision, radio towers and no punishment for dying. They clearly have a lot of talent for world design and some good engines for grand games yet they can never tell a good story or produce a well-paced and balanced experience. The latest breed of AC games is basically worlds that are too big which then have to be bloated with filler content and to top it off, they level-gait so players either have to do these crappy mundane tasks or pay Ubisoft not to play the game. The fact they don't offer an in-game XP scaling choice just shows their design is dictated by sheer greed. Days Gone just flows and although there are some repetitive aspects, most of the game feels fresh and unpredictable yet many Ubisoft open world games are littered with doing the same task 50 times over. 

I am now very hesitant to buy into non-masterpiece open world games because of the direction many of them have taken but it's nice to see Days Gone not fall into those traps and produce something that retains interest. Bigger doesn't mean better and Ubisoft will never understand that whilst they remain in this philosophy and they even said a couple years back that they were moving away from story-based games even with ones that require a story focus! 

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Finished the game earlier - took about 44 hours to do the story and I did a lot of the side content too. Very pleased with the game in the end and it really exceeded my expectations. Such a shame there wont be a sequel really! 

Agreed. Such a shame that this became a game that really found its footing and fanbase a bit later after release.

Bend Studios makes pretty good games. I think it will just take a little more time (or collective screaming from all the players) for Sony to reverse their decision on not letting them do a sequel.

Or, we end up waiting another decade or two...

Or, they remake Syphon Filter to really get everyone into the lore of where the virus came from and spread and who NERO is.