Age of Empires 4

J4MES OX4D

The nostalgia is epic. Aoe2 in particular brings me back. I used to play it with my younger brother, hundreds of hours.

We played it online back on the dialup days on the old eso servers with elo ratings.

We both invested a lot of time in the Age of Mythology series that came after it as well, especially online. RTS Clan tournaments as well. 

Those games were Masterpieces, fucking Masterpieces I tell ya!

1 hour ago, Dan94 said:

Ahhh those were the days 🙂 

We were on freeserve, 1p a minute. As soon as the house phone went. Instant D/C. Absolutely sucked, it's all we knew back then.  The sound that shitty modem made when connecting was iconic as well. 

My brother still plays AOE now and again. He holds a 2k+ rating and is probably in the top 3% of about 60k that still play it.

On 10/24/2021 at 7:21 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

This releases in 5 days

Not sure if I'll be getting it yet though

I know you are a PC player so I would if I were you. If I had a decent PC to run it I would 100%. Depends on how much you liked the series, tastes change as well. It might just not be for you. 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, IRaMPaGe said:

The nostalgia is epic. Aoe2 in particular brings me back. I used to play it with my younger brother, hundreds of hours.

We played it online back on the dialup days on the old eso servers with elo ratings.

We both invested a lot of time in the Age of Mythology series that came after it as well, especially online. RTS Clan tournaments as well. 

Those games were Masterpieces, fucking Masterpieces I tell ya!

I played 2 a hell of a lot when I was young too. But my all time favourite was Age of Mythology, I miss those days

cba

5 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

I know you are a PC player so I would if I were you. If I had a decent PC to run it I would 100%. Depends on how much you liked the series, tastes change as well. It might just not be for you. 

I loved AOE2 growing up and this game really captures the spirit of that which is great. The only thing holding me back is the price and there is some crucial things that need improving or adding that should have been dealt with during the playtest. It would be fantastic to get back into RTS gaming and this game is ideal but I'll probably see how things go next week. 

On 10/31/2021 at 6:26 AM, IRaMPaGe said:

@LordBaguette  Did you ever play Age of Mythology Online? Was awesome in its prime.

@J4MES OX4D Yeah I hear ya, price and also expectations of such a title need to be met. I just think the nostalgia is priceless and a must have. 

Yea a lot online, was part of a clan as well. CoM I think was the abbreviation haha I forget the name though. Do you remember a guy called Nottud? He was like a well known map creator I was friends with him helped play test some of his maps, still got him on Facebook 

cba

I picked the game up yesterday after getting a good discount and have really enjoyed it so far. Definitely needs some QoL improvements and additions but it's a great and familiar foundation. The presentation of the campaign missions is excellent with the real world videos and narrative plus the gameplay is generally solid. I wish the UI had a bit more detail - it's clean but it all blends a bit too much plus the visuals need a bit more vibrancy and variety. Other than that, it's really good!

21 hours ago, LordBaguette said:

Yea a lot online, was part of a clan as well. CoM I think was the abbreviation haha I forget the name though. Do you remember a guy called Nottud? He was like a well known map creator I was friends with him helped play test some of his maps, still got him on Facebook 

Nice! I was part of AciD_ clan if you remember them. What god's did you main? Yeah that map creator name sounds familiar.

3 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

Nice! I was part of AciD_ clan if you remember them. What god's did you main? Yeah that map creator name sounds familiar.

I remember only getting into standard matches towards the end.  Usually was just big on custom games. When I did play standard matches though was always Greek everytime, usually Hades

cba

50 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

I remember only getting into standard matches towards the end.  Usually was just big on custom games. When I did play standard matches though was always Greek everytime, usually Hades

Yeah the old ESO servers were awesome. I played a lot of rated matches. I got 1750+ with random god's. But I mained Norse, Loki was my fave and I decent with Thor. Sometimes well over 1800-1850 range. I played mostly AOT. I Got 4th on the leaderboards with 1883 on 1v1 Supremacy before Aoe3 cameout. 

I played some AOM vanilla and got 1850 with 12 matches 100% win smurfing and self rating 😂

The Age of Mythology servers moved to voobly and is still being played. Haven't played in a long time maybe 5-6+ years at least. I did play some on voobly but was a bit rusty tbh.