Frostpunk

RenFengge

@TurboR56Mini  happened to be browsing Steam and fell upon a game that I totally forgot I wanted to play. I was waiting for it to come out, then I forgot about it.

I remember reading about Frostpunk before it was released. It sounded so intriguing. From what I remember, it was a steep learning curve. It was harsh. It was not forgiving. It was challenging. It pushed the boundaries on your ethics to keep your city surviving.

I dumped the last hour into the game. And, my golly gosh. It lived up to all of that. This is not an easy game. You need to think about how you will survive even the first day. How will you use your resources effectively to make it through the night. I must have restarted about 6 times - each time trying something different and being better than the last. This... this is making me think.

And, the graphics and the music? Well done!

I'm going to be fiddling with this game for a bit in-between Valheim and my once in a while wanderings in D2 for the laughs. This is going to be my time suck for a while.

7 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

@TurboR56Mini  happened to be browsing Steam and fell upon a game that I totally forgot I wanted to play. I was waiting for it to come out, then I forgot about it.

I remember reading about Frostpunk before it was released. It sounded so intriguing. From what I remember, it was a steep learning curve. It was harsh. It was not forgiving. It was challenging. It pushed the boundaries on your ethics to keep your city surviving.

I dumped the last hour into the game. And, my golly gosh. It lived up to all of that. This is not an easy game. You need to think about how you will survive even the first day. How will you use your resources effectively to make it through the night. I must have restarted about 6 times - each time trying something different and being better than the last. This... this is making me think.

And, the graphics and the music? Well done!

I'm going to be fiddling with this game for a bit in-between Valheim and my once in a while wanderings in D2 for the laughs. This is going to be my time suck for a while.

It's painful we both have been playing it for a few hours. I think I won an achievement for being banished as leader is quick order!! 

It does look very intriguing. I used to enjoy simulators like this but this one seems very harsh and based on your initial opinions that could get annoying very quickly!! 😄

I've haven't got the time to sink into something like this at the moment. If I did, I wanted to get back into Two Point Hospital as thats far less strenuous and abit of fun on top. Keep us informed if there is a decent way to start out which helps get into it. Can you pause it at any moment btw? I would probably get interrupted alot you see.

I bought this when it first came out and it was a really good but highly stressful game! Every decision you had to make was tough as there was always a negative consequence or something that would come back to bite you. The game constantly made you think and have to make horrible sacrifices that would drastically impact how things went going forward. I think i'll have to check out the updates and DLC as it's been a while. 

2 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I think I got this in a Humble Bundle last year and not sure if I ever added it to Steam. It is supposed to be a very good game, maybe time I checked it out.

You did!!! My buddy from work also uses that service and found out he owned it yesterday!!

5 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Can you pause it at any moment btw? I would probably get interrupted alot you see.

Yup. You can pause. I pause immediately once it starts to try to figure out where to build and what to build. Every.second.matters. Your citizens don't want to work after a certain hour even if their lives depend on getting enough coal to survive the night.

What's sort of funny is that these "people" trekked the blizzard wasteland for days, and somehow can't survive a night? Like. Wut?

It's a giant puzzle to me... one that I desperately want to figure out. We got all the DLCs, so there's even a prequel to try out.

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I bought this when it first came out and it was a really good but highly stressful game! Every decision you had to make was tough as there was always a negative consequence or something that would come back to bite you. The game constantly made you think and have to make horrible sacrifices that would drastically impact how things went going forward. I think i'll have to check out the updates and DLC as it's been a while. 

I am trying to be okay with people dying. Trying. But, I can't get there.. Not in the beginning. I think after a few in-game days, okay. But not in the beginning.

It's a different stressful game lol. I love games that involve tons of thinking and problem solving. And, I really really want to get my town off on the right foot before it gets more difficult!

I dropped a few hours into Frostpunk last night. It's literally all I can think about. It's a giant puzzle to me.

I got to day 21 until I said, "Yeah. I need to redo this."

Everything was going well! I found survivors, one of the automated machines, was starting to have a growing city even if I was cursing about getting more mouths to feed. I had barely any discontent.. like zero. High hope! Only 1 death by day 16 due to the crazy man not wanting to amputate his limb to live. I basically said "F*ck it. Go die. You're going to be useless anyway." To which, @TurboR56Mini  laughed at how my dislike for people in general kept coming out of my mouth.

Then... Then... the god damn Londoners. You prissy bastards. I gave you warm shelter, REAL FOOD (not soup!), infirmaries, and cops. Yet, no? NO? You still keep growing numbers? WHY?!

So, I'm going to try again. I'm going to research slightly differently.

More time in Frostpunk! (I'll get back to Valheim.. promise!)

I started over. Again. Because the Londoners problem was plaguing my brain. How do I get rid of you people who just want to riot? Because I really don't want to pick religion as a way to appease the masses lol.

Day 21 on this iteration. I have become okay with a handful of deaths (about 4 this time around) since I can harvest their organs! Sweet. Better healing and using up a body. Good deal.

My Londoners haven't grown beyond 31 people in a handful of days.

My people are not freezing to the constant, insane amount of temperature drops (really.. REALLY? Did you just drop me 2 levels on heat for a couple of days, then drop me another 2 levels? Fine. I'll figure out how to make houses!)

My people get to eat normal food sometimes, but also sometimes soup with all the extra mouths to feed. And the 34 damn children our scouts found outside somewhere.. Useless mouths to feed. Go work in the Infirmaries and earn your keep!

I got to end my run last night without feeling like I need to start over today when I open it back up.

This game is so... unforgiving.

Holy sh*t.. no really.. How do you survive the impending death storm when you have to rescue 3 more groups of survivors after taking in 3 groups of refugees? And, after suffering -90F temps for like 4 days? And, need to have a week's worth a food rations for the city? And, make sure everyone gets the healthcare they need and shelter? And, you want to build another Infirmary and Automaton, so you send your people to get more Cores from Tesla City only to have them die as the Storm approaches.

HOW???

This game is so soul-crushing.