FG FIFA Euros League

jordie1892

Really enjoyed getting my campaign underway last night guys, I think this is going to be really fun! Thought I'd do a little write up of my first few games as the Flying Dutchmen in Orange!

First up was a baptism of fire against the mighty Scotland (well, they're not really mighty, it's just that @Macca89  was controlling them 😆)

Within the first 20 minutes I can see why Macca is so awesome at this game! He even threw his star player (and LEFT BACK!) Andy Robertson up front for good measure. The Oranje managed to stand firm for about 20 mins but then the Scots broke through with a lovely goal where McTominay (his only other good player!) flicked one up over Van Dijks head and volleyed it in. Then a second goal followed shortly after, some more lovely build up produced a chance just inside the box which was buried although I was a bit disappointed in my keeper. 2-0 at half time and Scotland probably had 70-30 possession (I warn anyone playing against Macca..... prepare to defend folks he has the ball a lot!!)

In the second half Holland started to come back into the game a bit, probably because Scotland's 72 rated centre halves with 58 stamina were getting knackered by then! A rare chance was taken after Depay found some space down the left and cut in to make it 2-1. Then in the 90th, a Rodman like header from De Ligt from a near post corner clutched a point out of nowhere. (Macca probably had an 8 game accumulator riding on it staying 2-1, but it inevitably got let down 🤣). FT 2-2

Then for my second game the Netherlands met the not-so-long-ago formidable Spain, and my best bud @GazzaGarratt. For me this brought back memories of 1998 (some of you probably were in nappies or not even born 😩) when Lee and I were just 14 years old playing International Superstar Soccer on the PS1 every weekend, where we both really wanted to beat each other but we would never once let it wreck our great friendship ❤️ The game was a very cagey affair, lots of good defending going on and not too many clear cut chances. Lee had Thiago (who he claims is shite but was pulling some strings!) dictating the midfield but Spain lacked much threat up front with Morata their main striker(remember him Chelsea fans? No thought not) It remained 0-0 till mid way through the second half when Rodrigo (who apparently in the previous game was as weak as piss and couldn't out muscle anyone) ran on to a threw ball and brushed off Van Dijk like he was a rag doll to bury it and give Spain the lead. And that's how it finished, and the memories of 14 year old Martin running off home crying into his pillow saying "that fucking prick beat me again mum argghhh!" all came flooding back. FT 0-1

Then in my third game I played against the absolute beasts that are France, and serial penalty conceeder @Antpool84 😉 For god knows what reason, maybe I'd had 2 games with Holland now and I was a bit more used to their play style, I managed to race into a 4-0 lead by half time (no penalties though!), although this was a bit unfair and not a true reflection of the game. I managed to score a couple of nice goals, a cheeky chip over their weakest link Hugo Lloris being my favourite. In the second half, Ant came out all guns blazing and used his blistering pace of Mbappe, Coman and Griezmann against my cart horse centre back De Ligt! France will cause anyone problems with that pace I am sure. Ant then scored the goal of the game with Pogba, a powerful drive into the bottom corner from about 25 yards out. Another goal followed shortly after to make it 4-2 and it was really game on! With about 10 mins to go, after getting in behind with the pace yet again, a bit of shit housery was necessary from De Ligt who hacked the striker down right on the edge of the box and got a deserved red card. However the resulting free kick came to nothing. FT 4-2, a good entertaining game. 

It was then round 2 against Maccas Scotland, where I was hoping the home advantage of the Johan Cryuff arena might help me, but nope! To say I got bum raped in the first 20 mins of the return leg would be an understatement, just ask Lee he was watching on screen share! The Netherlands couldn't even get out of their own third with Scotland pressing really high up the pitch (I shouldn't have taken short goal kicks really 😬) and after some heavy pressure the keeper made a mistake and cleared the ball straight into a Scotland strikers path and he put it into the empty net for 1-0. It could have been 2 or 3 by half time but I managed to hang in there. The start of the 2nd half was a similar story with Ryan Fraser (their secret weapon, Macca says he's shite but don't believe him!) having a couple of chances but Netherlands still managed to stay in it. Just like in the first game, the stamina of the Wijnaldums and Bergwijns of this world started to show against the Scottish pub league defenders mid way through the second half, and Netherlands came back into the game. With a bit more time on the ball they played some better football and had a bit of possession, and an equaliser came. Netherlands then brought on their own secret weapon (thanks to the old R2 auto sub) and on came 6 foot 3 Luke De Jong to try and exploit the tiring Scotland defence. Lo and behold in the 88th minute a lofted cross into the box saw the super sub power in a header against the League 1 - 73 rated Wigan GK (I think?) David Marshall. Unbelievably the Netherlands held out to clutch the win and inflict the first defeat on pre tourney favorites Scotland. FT 2-1

Finally, before bed time, it was time for Spain VS Netherlands again (or as I am calling it "Lee VS Mart Round 2 this time it's personal"). Just like our infamous battles on championship manager 98/99 season, it was a highly intense affair! Similar to the first game really there weren't too many chances, but it was end to end and more like a basketball game! 0-0 at half time. but early in the second half Spain broke the deadlock after a lovely 40 yard driven through ball from the LB found that fast prick Rodrigo again who banged it into the top corner. Netherlands were shitting themselves at this point (I couldn't lose AGAIN to my great mate he beats me at everything except Mario Kart on SNES!), and lets be totally honest I had to rely on what seemed like a bit of FIFA script to get back into the game. Depay tried a little dribble on the edge of the box to make space for a shot but Ramos did a perfectly timed standing tackle.......however the ball bounced back off a couple of shins and fell perfectly into the strikers path and he finished it to make it 1-1. It looked like that was going to be that, but then with 10 mins to go Spain were really unlucky when a shot twatted back off the inside of post and fell to the defender. For the final 10 mins once again some dodgy FIFA momentum seemed to be sucking the ball towards De Geas goal, and the winner came when a shot was saved and the ball popped up to Wijnaldum who headed it home (you know one of them shitty rebound goals where you wanna throw your controller out the window, but I know Lee wouldn't do that cuz like our said we have a great friendship 🥰) FT 2-1

Look forward to playing some more games soon guys.

3 hours ago, Findmartin said:

(you know one of them shitty rebound goals where you wanna throw your controller out the window, but I know Lee wouldn't do that cuz like our said we have a great friendship 🥰) FT 2-1

Ordered a new controller today. Gonna start calling you my 'Momentum Mate'. Prick. 🤣🤣❤️

Tbh, I loved playing the games and for 90-95% of each match I was reasonably happy with. Frustratingly i'm just paying for the cost of not playing FIFA for over 15 years.

Macca's both games were extremely tight, although first game I literally defended for 90 minutes and only lost 1-0. A last minute corner couldn't be forced in but my 2nd game with Macca later on in the evening, I ended up 2-0 up with 20 minutes gone and felt largely on top for a sudden change. I knew he'd get back into the game but was hoping to hold on for 60 minutes...but with 15-20 mins to go i was back at 2-2, only for a winner to go in on the last 10 minutes which I was certainly gutted about. The 4th only hit the night on the final whistle as I was just trying to find quick passes and sliding everywhere to get the ball back.

Jordies and James' games were decent games for majority of it. And then just lost concentration over little shitty FIFA moments which ultimately meant i got punished. A few late goals in both games ruined what were a little bit closer results albeit I was comfortable that I lost the games fair and square.

I really shouldn't have lost to Ant and Martin in our 2nd game though. I felt like I did enough in both games to easily get 3 points, forget the draw but thats where the Spanish inquisition i'll call it came marching in and buttfucked me. A pen one way that wasn't and a few pens my way that weren't was part of Ant's game, plagued by Spanish defenders incapable of holding off strikers who were behind the ball. And as Mart says above, the last 10 minutes were the most I felt violated in my life on FIFA 🤣

Thing is, whilst I got one 1 win out 7, it still was fun and we had great laughs throughout so I really hope people see what this can bring and we can crack on through it as we can do mini knockout tournaments along the way and after this has been completed if we keep enjoying it.

Now time to write my letter of complaint to FIFA and the Spanish manager for picking utter shite players rather than all the good ones in the game 😁

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

Oh man, this game 🙈🤣

More games played last night which was great to see! Especially because some people played their first few games too.

Man, I'm so shite at this game. It really isn't the FIFA of old and no matter how hard I try or use excuses on how shite Spain and Thiago is it can't wash after tonight. Got thoroughly spanked through the night even after thinking I had a good set up in the team.

Its hotting up at the top though, with over a third of the games played so far! James @Lurch  still has a 100% record...I think we all know now not to give him ANY corners 🤣

Although I'm doing really badly, I'm really enjoying seeing how the league changes but also how people are becoming better and better imo. @Stretch616  was super close to take points off and really should have!!

I might put up a little knockout thing alongside btw...it'll add a different dynamic alongside whats going on in the league and also test the knockout system on FG works all okay!

And @G_dub52 , I hope you recorded that overhead kick you scored against me! An absolute stunner of a goal!! 🔥

Looking back just at how far we've come as its good to take stock at our first proper little tourney for fun....and we've managed an incredible 40 GAMES. Whilst we're not finished by any means, I think thats an amazing effort so far so thank you all for trying to get games done and have a laugh along the way - even if its just to laugh at me and my woes 😄

I'd love to ask how you all are finding it, what you like and not like so much because it may help what we think about doing about the rest of this tourney and other potential knockout tourneys for fun, as always. I think it would be helpful to get feedback from the ones also that either have played a couple or no games at all to help understand what might be stopping you from joining in? I know the games only last around 10-15 mins so I was hoping to see eveeryone at least try a few games but be honest! Its all okay if you think something is stopping you and we can amend stuff moving forward for future things.

Great to see a difference of results too. I've learned a lot about FIFA over this and that was one of my objectives out of it, as we all help each other leanr and get better alongside having some fun.

Sound off below guys! 👇

I've really enjoyed the tourney so far, been great to play individual games and get to know some of the peeps a little more through one on one games as sometimes it can get a bit difficult to get a convo going with all the manicness of monday night fifa 😂😂 i've had some mixed results but been enjoying the games no mtter the outcomes. I really need to get some more of my games done. Its awesome that we've been able to get 40 games already though!!

I've really enjoyed it too I have had some good games. It's a really good idea as its different to what we normally play (ie its competitive rather than co-op)

My problem is I'm a bit unreliable in terms of what times I go online so I haven't been the best at sorting my round of games out. I think Monday is a good opportunity to play a couple because everyone is on. It just depends how pro clubs is going....if it's going well and we are winning it's good to keep the rhythm but if it's not going so well I'd be happier to jump off and play some 1v1.