New (budget) gaming PC

Mikepjbell

I've been thinking about getting a budget gaming PC for a while which for the most part will be used for website related stuff, but it'd be nice to play some games too, including some of the more modern titles and racing sims if at all possible. 

Main considerations:

- I have a 32" IPS monitor thingy which isn't 4k but it's 1440 I think? I can check on that... 

- Budget: no more than £800 or below £1000 at a stretch

- I have a display port connection free on the back of the monitor so a video card with that on would be nice, unless HDMI is the only way forward with gaming? I don't know. I could swap connections about if required. 

- I don't mind building the PC, and a pre built one would be ideal, but I'm not fussed

- As much bang for buck really, ideally 16gb of relatively decent RAM, OK processor and vid card if at all possible. 

So I could do with some help from savvy UK people on this one. I used to build PCs all the time so I had a really good handle over hardware requirements but things have moved on, to the point where Intel aren't necessarily the only choice these days? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Mike, have a look around here as a start point....

WWW.SCAN.CO.UK

Scan is the UK's leading supplier of computer hardware and PC components. Customise PCs for gaming, music production, video editing and graphics creation

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

2 hours ago, Mikepjbell said:

I've been thinking about getting a budget gaming PC for a while which for the most part will be used for website related stuff, but it'd be nice to play some games too, including some of the more modern titles and racing sims if at all possible. 

Main considerations:

- I have a 32" IPS monitor thingy which isn't 4k but it's 1440 I think? I can check on that... 

- Budget: no more than £800 or below £1000 at a stretch

- I have a display port connection free on the back of the monitor so a video card with that on would be nice, unless HDMI is the only way forward with gaming? I don't know. I could swap connections about if required. 

- I don't mind building the PC, and a pre built one would be ideal, but I'm not fussed

- As much bang for buck really, ideally 16gb of relatively decent RAM, OK processor and vid card if at all possible. 

So I could do with some help from savvy UK people on this one. I used to build PCs all the time so I had a really good handle over hardware requirements but things have moved on, to the point where Intel aren't necessarily the only choice these days? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Have a look at PC Part Picker too, it has a system builder and shows if there any compatibility issues. Prices are pretty steep these days so with that budget you're looking at a 1080p build at most I would say.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

27 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Have a look at PC Part Picker too, it has a system builder and shows if there any compatibility issues. Prices are pretty steep these days so with that budget you're looking at a 1080p build at most I would say.

What kind of money do I need to be spending to get to a higher res do you think? 

Honestly coming from someone who just finished a pc build, the market for gpu's is rough. You can get maybe a 5700xt and still play 1440p but higher resolutions might be a problem. 60fps at 1440p or higher at around 1k is do able just gotta know where to look. I'd say if you can find a ryzen 5 5600 for mrsp but it's litterally like finding needles in a haystack. Also depends on the games your trying to play as well. Like nothing fancy the mobo and storage psu won't be a huge deal.  I wanted a system to play anything at high res. At 1440 so I went with a ryzen 5900x and a rtx 3080 so most things will be fine at 1440p but that combo right now your looking at paying around 2k alone. Best thing to do is your research and maybe actually look at forums and maybe join a couple pc groups on Facebook as well. If you want any other help let me know. 

If your budget is £800-1000 right now I would probably leave it for the time being. For around £1400 you will likely be able to land a high-end 1440p build that could easily support 4K when 3070's are back in stock. Where you are positioned right now, it's like having £250 at hand and then toying with buying a PS4 Slim when the PS5 is out but you can't quite afford that - it's just not viable or worth spending that money on especially for just a bit more you can get something that will keep you going for 5-7 years rather than getting something dated right off the bat. A £1000 1440p build could probably play most pre-2018 titles to a decent standard but you give yourself no scope moving forward and every new release will be a strain. Within 2 years you'll have to buy an entirely new device or downgrade to 1080p to maintain a satisfactory experience as upgrading would replace everything in the system. 

If you opt for 1080p, you'll need a new monitor as your current one will make things intolerably blurry so that would be a further cost. I'd definitely see if you can scrape together some extra funds over the course of the year and once the GPU's get restocked, the market should settle down. 

Personally @Mikepjbell  lets know your realistic budget pal. Whatever it is, 300, 500, 1000. Lets see if we can all help you at least find the parts to get you a half decent PC.

Sounds like you don't need a monitor which is a good start. Have you got mouse and keyboard already too? Give us something to play with and we'll see what we can come up with!

On more reflection I could probably stretch to £1400 if required. It sounds like the real problem is the availability or extortionate cost of video cards at the moment! 

I'm all sorted for keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Mikepjbell said:

On more reflection I could probably stretch to £1400 if required. It sounds like the real problem is the availability or extortionate cost of video cards at the moment! 

I'm all sorted for keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. 

Yep, soon as the cards are properly available and properly priced you'll be sorted with £1400 to play with👍

Look forward to it❤

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

4 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Yep, soon as the cards are properly available and properly priced you'll be sorted with £1400 to play with👍

Look forward to it❤

Phil, do you think they’ll ever come back down to MRSP?

Also, listening to Jayztwocents yesterday there are some car manufacturers experiencing difficulty getting ECU causing production stoppages. In the eyes of the world, cars are more important than video gamers.

link: 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

30 minutes ago, Plumbers Crack said:

Phil, do you think they’ll ever come back down to MRSP?

Also, listening to Jayztwocents yesterday there are some car manufacturers experiencing difficulty getting ECU causing production stoppages. In the eyes of the world, cars are more important than video gamers.

link: 

Yep, semi conductors being pretty much all produced by one company doesn't help but it's a matter of logistics in the long run. The pandemic slowed everything down in all sorts of ways. The occasional bursts of crypto mining fever dont help either. 

I had a similar problem when buying my 1080 ti. It was over a grand for a year and a half before I found it for £700

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Look I got an extra msi x570 mobo sitting around and a ryzen 5 2600 sure the cpu might not help you but If your in the U.K. I might be able to cut ya a deal on atleast a high end board and throw in some cable extensions as well if that's your thing im wanting to do an apu mini itx build for my misses so let me know and when I say a deal way better then most boards lol hardly was even used long story into that but that's beside the point