FG League - Spring Season 2021

phil bottle

Good races last night guys. Seemed like most people had very similar strategies for the league race so was a very good indication of people’s raw pace.

Monza is going to be a very interesting race especially with the potential of lots of drafting. Obviously this assumes everyone gets through the chicanes safely 😂 

APmVvKG.gif

It was utter piss poor for me unfortunately. It would've helped to get some form of practice in but struggled all the way through. Even messed up counting laps on my strategy.

I'll keep hacking away with the wheel. I knew it would be soul destroying going from super quick times and getting closer and better each week to miles away and struggling to work out where I'm going wrong.

Thats the challenge though, there's always something to aim for...this league does make me want it to come round quicker so I can put right what I did wrong though!

1 hour ago, Shucker said:

When I first started with you guys, I was doing well enough for a rookie so I decided to commit to manual gearshifts. That started to pay off but then I bought the wheel and getting used to it and manual shifting was hurting my lap times. I decided to git gud (as gud as I can git, anyway) with the wheel and went back to auto transmission. Next, I added in left foot braking, which has become second nature (that doesn't mean I'm gud at it though) and helped my times a little. Now I'm starting to bring manual shifting into the mix. 

That being said, I also started from a better place than you as I didn't have any sim racing experience and haven't had to worry about my lap times increasing since I didn't have any to start with. No where to go but up! 🙂

That's exactly the thing I was trying to point out. If I had started straight off the bat on the wheel I would absolutely be behind that 'Yazz' feeling. Unfortunately I'm paying for my own progression over a few months with a controller against seriously awesome drivers and people that have helped me understand the game more.

With a Wheel its difficult to help people where they can improve as its like riding a car in real life. Eventually it'll come autonomous but whe you start out, your brain is thinking 'how on earth am I gonna make my car go round!' (or even straight for that matter). I immediately when I started opted to stay auto gears and left foot brake so thats how I set up. The only way to get quicker outside doing them better will be to go manual, and i'm really not ready for that.

Its frustrating only for myself tbh, cos this racing is the best balance of competitive fun you can have. You end up getting too stressy on the random sport online races because they're randoms and don't respect you whereas people here do.

I'll eventually get better. I know I will. IRL stuff has made gaming time and FG stuff pretty difficult to balance of late so I'm only paying for that happening after 2 weeks where race incidents were beyond my control. I'm sure when I get a little more time to just get used to the wheel it'll be just like riding a bike....and then Yazz will be singing exactly the same as what you're feeling 😄

Going really well. Despite the track being awful for last night's race it produced a really great race, except for Lee. Again.

The race for third was amazing, but I over cooked it on the last corner and bailed, meaning I lost 4th place as well. All or nothing.  I reckon I could have fuel saved for a better position.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

I think everybody has become so much better over the course of the season that it’s now meant that if you make any sort of mistake you will unfortunately be punished for it, especially on a track like Laguna this week. 

One lap pace from everybody is incredibly quick and you can see it in qualifying where when everybody hooks their laps up, the whole field is covered by only a couple of seconds whereas in the past you might have been talking 10+ seconds from the front to the back. 

I think where people are struggling a little bit is dealing with the tyre wear and fuel management and the effect that it has on your car and your race and now, with everything being so tight, people are having to think a bit more strategically about it so we are seeing a lot of interesting strategies. 

I warn you all when @GazzaGarratt finally gets everything to click he will be a monster on the track! 😄

APmVvKG.gif

Yep, two races left for the Spring Season. @Greboth has one hand on the trophy but its not a dead cert, just yet.

Great racing last night and my no stopper almost worked with @crispymorgan and @Lurch  catching me on the last lap. 

What @JBR-Kiwi said is so true. Him and Greebs are still the front runners but the pack behind is very competitive now, with James getting a deserved 3rd place in the main race. Crispy has gotten up to speed very quickly and is already threatening my perennial 4th place finishes...

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I'm still amazed but equally not surprised we can do something like this and have a real good bunch that not only tries to compete against each other but also is trying to help each other improve. I even felt at one point @Macca89  who has picked it up relatively shortly was gonna get a great race result if it wasn't for the strategy. @JBR-Kiwi  is bang on. Strategy is absolutely coming into play, which I love seeing unfold. At one stage last nights first race I don't think anyone knew what was going to happen - probably the only guarantee was my spinning out 🤣 - but its things like that which keeps every week interesting.

Fair play to Greebs taking the hit when he made a large error on Phil. Stuff like that happens and he did amazingly well to get back through the pack to still push Kiwi at the end. Everyone had a great race and it makes me continually wish I had more time to practice as its really enjoyable practicing and learning with everyone.

Wish we could find more time for races again!

P.S. And one day that grid is definitely going to be full! Good turn out again.

It wasn't fuel that fucked me, or Greebs embrace in the first lap. Tyre choice.

Qualification was shit as I didn't manage to do a single lap without crashing off, not always under my own steam😁

But I had a great start and was running in 2nd holding everyone off until the corkscrew moment of bliss which left me and Greebs running in last. 

I decided at that point it was going to have to be a non stop race if I was going to have any chance if getting a position. Put my power down to 4 and concentrated on putting in steady, if slower, laps.

Worked a treat. When everyone ahead pitted I found myself 3rd with 3 laps to go and about 7 seconds ahead of Crispy and James.

But it was the super softs that were my undoing. I was still about a second and a half ahead on the last lap but the tyres gave up on the corner before the uphill and it was all over, both @Lurch  and @crispymorgan  passed me soon after.

Crispy fucked himself up breaking late on the very last corner so I managed to salvage my 4th place.

@Mikepjbell hated this race, which pleases me no end😅

@slamminbones  didn't have much time to practice but we had a good battle at BlueMoon in the 2nd race .

Great qualy and drive by James who will be major competition next season.

Shout out to @Macca89 and apologies as I know I misjudged your braking at one point and nudged you off, but you're definitely getting better each week👏

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Next Tuesday is the final race of the Spring Season. It's at Alsace and i put it down in the calendar as Gr.2

So please remember that you need a Gr.2 car. I may even stick a Gr.2 race up tonight for practice at that speed. By 'may' I mean I shall.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Something to note about the league races. There will be limited time to practice on race night and qualifying will begin at 8.30pm. So pre-practice is advised.

Also, who will be keeping note of the race stats and league table for the team championship? I'm assuming either @jordie1892  or @Mikepjbell  but let's confirm now so we're prepared. I did the last season one and it's not a lot of work other than remembering to record the race results 🙃

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Great night of racing last night, 12 nutters behind the wheel and all well behaved, mostly 😁

Great competition all round and little battles down the order made it really fun.

Nice to meet @Kurt  and look forward to seeing you and @Diddums climb that ladder.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Really enjoyed last night really needed that with all I got going on at the moment. 

Loved the 2nd race nice little battle with @Lurch  on the last lap last corner tried to take the inside only to drift off into the sunset.

On the first race kept up for a couple of Laps till I thought I might act out a scene from Tokyo drift then to have @Diddums driving like it was Sunday by the time I could pass him when he wasn't snaking across the track it was to late to catch up. 

slamminbones.png

Really great racing last night chaps!! Lee was super fast in the second race. Shame Phil is now going the way of torpedo-Mike, although I'm secretly really proud.

Nice to see a pretty full grid past night too, and I hope that stays because it keeps a good level of racing across the field. 

Ya, was good fun. Just highlighted even more how hopelessly shit I am, even noobie @Kurt  even beat me!

For me personally, it got a bit late. I get up at 4 on Fridays so finishing after 10 is a no go. Is there any way we can shorten the night? 

banlol.png

Had a blast, cheers guys!

Had some great battles with @Lurch and @crispymorgan , can see it being a tough season! I definitely need to get more race practice in, bottled it on a few occasions when coming close to others, particularly a big torpedo into James on the second race...

Highlight of the night was driving 2 inches behind Jordies rear bumper and watching him shit his pants and fall off the track.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......