Mortal Kombat Movie!

GazzaGarratt

Finally. It looks like its getting made with a proper backing. I need to read up on the lore because Sub Zero was always my favourite so I hope in some ways he can make it to the good side in this film. Kano at the end looks like a real movie version of Junkrat in Overwatch. Love it.

April 16th is not long to wait either.

Whoa whoa whoa. Wait. This actually looks good! I wonder how much of the lore they are going to follow! The whole drama with Sub Zero and Scorpion.. and Reptile (maybe?)... and Kitana amd Mileena. (I always played Kitana).

Such potential... I really hope they don't make it trashy like the prior movies. The actor who plays Jax, I've watched him in Supergirl, should be stellar. Not that Supergirl was a stellar show, but I always enjoyed Mehcad's scenes.

8 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Such potential... I really hope they don't make it trashy like the prior movies.

This is pretty much probably everyone's view i've spoken to so far. But from that trailer it definitely looks like it can't be any worse than the original ones.

One thing that @Stretch616  mentioned was that Johnny Cage can't be seen in it and I couldn't believe I missed that! I'm hoping they're keeping that back as a surprise because that would be abit disappointing not to see him in it.

Oh man, its out this Friday at Cinemas and streaming. They've also released the Opening Scene for a flavour with Scorpion and Sub Zero! Now this looks like the best polished MK movie we've ever had!! Anyone else looking at watching it this weekend?

Well... look at that... We're going to go into the storyline of Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero, eh? I mean, it's a fantastic storyline.

However, between the retcons/timeline revisions, I have zero clue as to what to expect! Exciting! Sub-zero was typically always the hero, but this scene portrays him as the villain! What's the backstory? What is this? Are we going to eventually get to Sub-Zero's brother once/if Bi-Han dies?

I have no clue what to expect!

Unlike Marvel where I had some sort of inkling as to who everyone was and where they aligned, I have no clue for this movie. And, that makes it super fresh to me. Looking forward to catching it this weekend or sometime down the line.

17 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Well... look at that... We're going to go into the storyline of Scorpion vs. Sub-Zero, eh? I mean, it's a fantastic storyline.

However, between the retcons/timeline revisions, I have zero clue as to what to expect! Exciting! Sub-zero was typically always the hero, but this scene portrays him as the villain! What's the backstory? What is this? Are we going to eventually get to Sub-Zero's brother once/if Bi-Han dies?

I have no clue what to expect!

Unlike Marvel where I had some sort of inkling as to who everyone was and where they aligned, I have no clue for this movie. And, that makes it super fresh to me. Looking forward to catching it this weekend or sometime down the line.

I actually think MK would be a fantastic series to create but you never know with films on how far they will go in terms of the overall story. I was always a Sub Zero fan more than Scorpion and the backstory does have him as a good guy, however after you find out that he kills Scorpions family because he thought Scorpion killed his. Whether they follow this in the movie i'm sure we will see how it pans out. As MK has 5 realms it also means that they can have characters come back in different forms that is perfectly acceptable to understand. Lets hope it can actually deliver a good story alongside a great action packed film!

I do wonder how many have watched this so far and what you all thought. We had a good debate on Sunday evening online about it too!

All in all I thought it was great. Cheesy for sure and not very deep, but still a great, easy action watch which gave us some moments that we could connect to the MK series. There are clearly pot holes galore, especially since they created a brand new character just to help the Scorpion story through the film and i'm sure we all wished for more of his back story but it wasn't to be.

I saw a comment online and it very much resonated with me. This felt like a buy into a MK series of films and/or Netflix styles TV series. Pre-MK film before MK1. It was like a taster for lots of different avenues with probably not enough of the good stuff, whatever bit you enjoyed.

Fight scenes were amazing, albeit short. Great, solid cast too. I do think it was very balanced and they all portrayed their characters as they were scripted really well. Kano was the star of the show by a MILE. Absolutely hilarious, way better than expected.

I think you'd be very disappointed if you thought it was going to tell you the whole lore and backstory of MK but i'm not sure how they could do that on a lower than average movie budget and 90 minutes to play with. CGI was on point though.

Kung Lao performed the best fatality and the cheesy line of 'Flawless Victory' was funny AF. That moment typified it Great Cheesy Goodness.

I know Tom @LordBaguette  and Jordie @jordie1892 felt otherwise but depends what you expected. I knew it would be up @Macca89 's street too!

You know.. I was pleasantly surprised with this movie. But considering the previous MK movies, there was not really a bar for the new one to even hop over haha.

Was it cheesy? Yeah, but it wasn't painful. It was enjoyable.

I'm still a little all "I'm not sure how I feel about Sub-Zero being the villain, and Scorpion being the hero." If they open this up into a series, I hope they go into the story a bit... like there's a reason Hanzo immediately knew it was Bi-Han who just murdered his family aside from the ice everywhere. I would like to see them go into that.

The fact that they wove into the movie individual fights was somewhat clever. I thought that was good on them to figure out how to do it.

Agree that 90 minutes wasn't going to give anyone all the lore. This was a taste of what's possible. If they can get more funding and more audience and turn it into something worth while. But, that's always the trick with these things. Can you create a formula for a series to ensure that every installment after the first one is going to be great? Marvel has set the bar so high on that front...

@TurboR56Mini  and I laughed a bunch of times during the movie on some of the silliness... but still an enjoyable movie.

I watched this going in with no expectations because I feel like anyone expecting the MK universe to be anything but wild is, interesting. Some thoughts:

• The fatalities were absolutely dope- video game level amazing.
  • Lin Quey and Shirai Ryu rivalry opening up the movie was amazing, and I thought this movie was going to be S Tier. Bi-Han has always been a cunt, until the day he died and became Noon Saibot when resurrected. Hanso always had baggage issues but, hey, it's from being murdered- even to the point where Raiden said "If you kill the new Sub Zero, you will effectively fuck up the entire universe".
  • Liu Kang was so uncomfortably unlikable it almost made me want to skip any parts he was involved or stop watching. He was like a 18 year old TikTok influencer doing the renegade, dude needs to chill with the stupid hand movements every minute he makes a sound. Sitting at dinner? Hand waving. Speaking to new fighters? Hand waving.
  • They did Kung Lao dirty, and Tsang Tsung was also dope. Both great characters and actors for it.
  • Kano's actor was single highhandedly one of the most enjoyable portrayals in all of the MK movies. The dude carried.
  • I HATED how their "powers" manifested, like Jax's baby arms growing through the power of friendship.
  • Sonya sucked, my god it's the worst they have ever made the character.
  • Cole is also another reason the movie did as bad as it did, like, left a sour taste in my mouth. Not only is he a brand new, movie only character and now you know he will show up in future games but he just... sucks. Like a Disney character, oh and his golden t-shirt.
  • Fight scenes were pretty dope, but honestly a lot of them were kind of rushed just to "get them over with." Then all of a sudden the tournament was gone.

Overall the movie is enjoyable and has some really dope parts, but man Cole, Sonya and a few other things make me hate the movie.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Weirdly, I thought Sonya was cast correctly. She seemed much more hardened than the one in the little clip above and I didn't think she was the weakest one out of them all. She didn't have much script to play with so I suppose what can she do? The weakest character, albeit I don't think he also didn't do too badly was the main character Cole. Thats where the script just didn't need it imo. He literally gets some random power which I don't think anyone understands and its good enough to beat Goro in 2 minutes - the 9 time champion of MK!!?!

Its a solid 6-6.5-7 because they have a lot of awesome section within the film coupled with some very awkward bits that just don't work. Its gotta be a pre-cursor to other things surely. Theres just so much stuff there.

Or maybe Video Games are just a poisioned chalice when you want to adapt them to films and TV series - I mean, Halo just really hasn't been done (properly) still.

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

The weakest character, albeit I don't think he also didn't do too badly was the main character Cole. Thats where the script just didn't need it imo. He literally gets some random power which I don't think anyone understands and its good enough to beat Goro in 2 minutes - the 9 time champion of MK!!?!

I was a bit confused on his power.. is it like an invincible fighting shirt thing that gives him various hand-to-hand combat weapons? If so, then who doesn't want an almost god-mode shirt for a death tournament lol.

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Or maybe Video Games are just a poisioned chalice when you want to adapt them to films and TV series - I mean, Halo just really hasn't been done (properly) still.

I think video game adaptations just need to find the right support to do them well. Comics book adaptations took how many fails until we got the MCU and Arrowverse (which, side note, Arrowverse is not doing well since Stephen Amell "retired" from the series).

People forget that even single games have, on average, 30 - 40 hours of gameplay, like 3 hours-ish of cutscenes. You're not going to boil down a whole story like that into 2 hours and do it well.

If we look at this movie like a "test the waters for a new franchise", then you can definitely get 1 solid movie on some of the back story on Bi-han and Hanzo.

If anything, one of the silver linings of COVID, in terms of audience attention spans, is that audiences (in general) can and are willing for stories to be lengthier and over multiple installments if the conclusion is worth it. I have a favorite book series that will never be able to be properly told as a 3 or even 4 part movie series. It's better as a series like GOT. Multiple seasons.

Resident Evil sort of has some footing in the movies? But, I'm not willing to fully sacrifice a few brain cells to watch it lol.

59 minutes ago, RenFengge said:

I was a bit confused on his power.. is it like an invincible fighting shirt thing that gives him various hand-to-hand combat weapons?

I think when I watched it at the time I didn't mind as much, however the more I think about it and if I watched it again I'd be getting more disappointed with this bit as he doesn't really fit into it all! It's so frickin random that I can't get my head around it.