Facebook

J4MES OX4D

Absolute disgrace - essentially banning Australia from accessing basic news because Facebook would have to comply with a law that pays the publisher of the article a cut rather than reap all the income for themselves by embedding the page. Not only does this annihilate democracy, it stops people accessing crucial pages and has even impacted jobs from innocent people caught in the crossfire. It's a sad day to see a giant corporation trying to override a government this way whilst kicking the media in the teeth by siphoning off their work. Sadly it will likely just lead to negotiation rather than severe action.  Australia is one of the few nations left that don't bow to such bollocks so I hope they don't buckle. 

_117044516_hi065653175.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It comes in response to a proposed law that would force the company to pay publishers for content.

I remember having a debate about 12 years ago at an old job where people said Facebook was just a social site for friends to connect like Bebo and Myspace - I was even branded a paranoid conspiracy nutjob when I remotely suggested Facebook would grow its presence for sheer global power, the control information and extreme wealth! 

15 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Absolute disgrace - essentially banning Australia from accessing basic news because Facebook would have to comply with a law that pays the publisher of the article a cut rather than reap all the income for themselves by embedding the page. Not only does this annihilate democracy, it stops people accessing crucial pages and has even impacted jobs from innocent people caught in the crossfire. It's a sad day to see a giant corporation trying to override a government this way whilst kicking the media in the teeth by siphoning off their work. Sadly it will likely just lead to negotiation rather than severe action.  Australia is one of the few nations left that don't bow to such bollocks so I hope they don't buckle. 

_117044516_hi065653175.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

It comes in response to a proposed law that would force the company to pay publishers for content.

I remember having a debate about 12 years ago at an old job where people said Facebook was just a social site for friends to connect like Bebo and Myspace - I was even branded a paranoid conspiracy nutjob when I remotely suggested Facebook would grow its presence for sheer global power, the control information and extreme wealth! 

I wouldn’t normally side with FaceAche but I think they have a point here....as I understand it, most major TVnetworks and media channels have a FB presence because they ASK for it and post content there themselves, FB doesn’t just take it. 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

I wouldn’t normally side with FaceAche but I think they have a point here....as I understand it, most major TVnetworks and media channels have a FB presence because they ASK for it and post content there themselves, FB doesn’t just take it. 

The problem is Facebook taking money for the free media. These news pages are in the hundreds of thousands each week globally and Facebook takes the whole share rather than publish the pages for free or offers a commission back. Several deals have already been struck with publications so this should also be the standard applied to other counties irrespective of a deal being set in stone. 

4500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Stories from the Guardian, Daily Mail, Economist and more will appear in a dedicated feed

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

The problem is Facebook taking money for the free media. These news pages are in the hundreds of thousands each week globally and Facebook takes the whole share rather than publish the pages for free or offers a commission back. Several deals have already been struck with publications so this should also be the standard applied to other counties irrespective of a deal being set in stone. 

4500.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Stories from the Guardian, Daily Mail, Economist and more will appear in a dedicated feed

That’s called business....if the Aussie press or media don’t like it, then remove the link that they installed. As I said earlier, FB doesn’t take the media, the Aussie media uploads it themselves.

Media: Hi FB, can we link to you?

FB: OK

Media: Right done that...now, how much will you give us for that?

FB: What? Nothing you asked to link!

Media: But your getting our content for nothing

Aussie government: We’ll legislate!

FB: Fine....<disconnects Australia >

Yep, I think that sums it up and I’m afraid I’m still on FaceBook’s side

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

That’s called business....if the Aussie press or media don’t like it, then remove the link that they installed. As I said earlier, FB doesn’t take the media, the Aussie media uploads it themselves.

It sure is business but banning all news output from the country is an insane action to take and not even willing to negotiate because of potential legislation is a pretty tasteless move especially when the likes of the UK have successfully negotiated an balanced framework between all parties. I think it's a very unethical thing to do and goes against the alleged core values that Facebook has banded around over the years. Canada and the EU are also drawing up legislation that will fall in-line with Australia so it will be interesting to see what Facebook do when more is at stake especially if existing competition laws are stacked into consideration. 

On 2/19/2021 at 4:24 AM, Plumbers Crack said:

Media: Hi FB, can we link to you?

FB: OK

Media: Right done that...now, how much will you give us for that?

FB: What? Nothing you asked to link!

Media: But your getting our content for nothing

Aussie government: We’ll legislate!

FB: Fine....<disconnects Australia >

Yep, I think that sums it up and I’m afraid I’m still on FaceBook’s side

I agree with Dave.

the Media/Government wanted facebook to pay the Media for having the Media's content on their platform. The said pay us or else. Facebook's response was "or else". They have no obligation whatsoever to carry anyone content if those people insist on being paid to carry the content. 

If Australia and media wants to reach the public they can use the own platform

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

They have no obligation whatsoever to carry anyone content if those people insist on being paid to carry the content. 

They have made the obligation by allowing for all news media to be published unrestricted. Banning news rather than just not allowing monetisation would then put the onus on Australia to withdraw or continue as is. An outright ban the main issue here. Facebook could have left it until legislation hit and then Australia would've had to walk to comply with the laws they approved.  To censor the whole country and put livelihoods at risk is an astonishing action motivated more by money and politics rather than ethics. 

It also contradicts the concept after they have been negotiating a news platform for months which has already been executed but just because Australia turned it into legally-binding legislation, it becomes a democracy grab where rules are different between countries even though the fundamentals are the same. 

It would be like Activision suddenly charging EU countries £249.99 to play Warzone because there was a draft legislation in Belgium that would put restrictions on in-game purchases by 2027 or YouTube suddenly taking 100% of revenue from content creators because they can as it's their platform. Or even Twitch suddenly wanting 100% of donations and ad revenue. Just completely unreasonable and if such frameworks are in place then this should be extended globally without punishing countries that want to protect people and companies against corporate greed or power grabs.

Facebook should have put the ball in Australia's court because no matter how scummy, as you and Dave have said, they are under no obligation to pay for the content but once they start blocking content without a basis or through other media's that have no say then it opens up more ethical doors. Their obligation is to allow for news to be published as per their fair use policy and if Australian law wants to see shared income on 3rd party publications then they will have to find a platform willing to do so or remain contained within its own business. 

6 hours ago, McNasty said:

Facebook is doing everyone a favor.  Who needs facebook for anything?  I've never had an account and the only thing I've missed out on is having everything about my life in some database to be farmed out.  If you rely on facebook for news, introspection is required.  

Glad to see you’re still around annoying people 😏